Friday, August 12, 2011

Ignoring the elephant

I am the worst secret-keeper in the history of the universe.  My only hope for keeping a secret is to pray I get super busy and forget I have a secret to keep.  Otherwise, I am a straight-up blabbermouth.  I have virtually no filter.  If you've been around here for a while, you know that it's pretty much brain-to-keyboard.  All Desiree, all the time.
So much is happening right now and I can't talk about it yet.  Stupid stalking internet.  I wish I could just blab my heart out and ask you guys for your opinions and get recommendations and all that stuff but I have to keep my stupid lips stupid zipped.  So stupid.

Instead, I'm going to do some updates by request. 

Update #1:  The baby monitor.  I was so pissed when I talked to Stacie and she said that you didn't need a piece of plywood for the baby monitor.  If you have no clue what I'm talking about, go here.  If you don't feel like clicking and reading, no worries.  I talked about my baby monitor and how pissed I was that you had to put a piece of plywood down and we didn't know that until we'd opened the box and were ready to assemble it.  So I went back to the manual and there it was!
I don't have MS Paint to make cool drawings on my pictures.
Sorry bout that.

Anyway, when we got to this part in the manual, the cursing started and we went to Lowe's to get some plywood.  Then we tried to put it in the crib, where it didn't fit because my measurements were off.  Then Drew had to cut the corners to make it fit.  Then I had to get more velcro to attach the crib skirt to the plywood so you couldn't see it.  Then I cursed more when I found out I probably didn't need the plywood after all.
You probably don't even need this.

So that's the monitor situation.  It's definitely worth it but I'm still mad that we went through all that.

Update #2:  The cloth diapers.  It's totally second-nature now.  To get caught up with this one, it's here.  Basically, I'm a tree-hugging hippie and I want to save the earth and not put 2 tons worth of trash in a landfill.  Plus, between cloth diapering and breastfeeding I'm saving us roughly $1600 for the baby's first year.  That's about $130 a month!  When I found that out, I turned to Drew and held out my hand saying, "Where's my check, yo?"  I still haven't seen it.

But the diapers are really great.  Still no stains, still no stink and we've had some atomic shits!  Straight-up puddles in the diaper and only a teeny leak!  I'm not even mad at that because that teeny leak would have been an up to the shoulders blowout in a disposable.  It's nothing more than one more load of laundry and with the spit-up and drool, you're already doing a ton of laundry anyway.  I'm still doing disposables at night just because I have them, but I did have her in cloth one night because she fell asleep before I could change her and I just went with it.  She slept from 7p-3a in her cloth so I'm sure we'll be fine when the disposables run out.

18 seems to be a good number to have too.  It seems like I always have some in the drawer, some in the dirties bag and some hanging out to dry.  I never run out and if I did, well, I'd just throw a load in the laundry.  NBD.  

However, this is only because of the diaper sprayer.  I still don't do the dunk and swish.  Without the diaper sprayer, this would be a different conversation.  I don't want to think about life without a diaper sprayer.

Update #3:  My kid's name.
I noticed it first with my dog's name.  Once we decided on Maya, it became a dog's name in my mind.  Permanently.  Whenever I heard someone with a kid named Maya, inevitably I thought "That's a dog's name."  I can't help it.

Now, whenever I see 'Sophia' I think it's spelled wrong and it looks funny to me.  In my mind I hear 'Sopa-hee-a.'  I can't help it.

And don't get me started on her middle name!  If you speak Spanish, you can join me in shaking your head at why this is so difficult.  Her name is spelled Spanish-ly (that's a technical term) because 'Ph' doesn't exist in Spanish.  Photo --> foto  telephone --> telefono (and yes, there's supposed to be an accent mark over the second 'e' but I'm too lazy to switch my keyboard so just use your imagination.)  Hence, Sofia.  But I still get it spelled the other way.  It doesn't make me mad though - I just scratch my head and wonder why you want to keep spelling it wrong.

Her middle name is Ines, pronounced ee-NESS.  But I totally didn't factor in the fact that she was born in Texas.  Try as I might, I still get eye-NEZZ, said with full Texas twang.  

I still love her name - it's perfect and I couldn't imagine her with any other name.  But I do feel kind of guilty because my poor kid is probably going to grow up saying Hi I'm Sofiawithaneff.  
Look what I figured out how to do!
Thank you baby!

If there are other things that you've been wondering about and always wanted to know, or if I said I'd talk about something and I never ended up doing it, just let me know.  You can say what about that one time when you said you were going to talk about that one thing that happened in that one place?  And then I'll talk about it - provided I know what the hell you're talking about.  

*I'm* kind of confused right now.

With that, I'm out.  It's wine time y'all!

19 comments:

  1. You can't say something like that and then not tell me! UGH! haha

    I know nothing about the piece of wood, but I love the idea of cloth diapers and I love Sophia Ines!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never did get a diaper sprayer, mainly because I felt I would want a "toilet" all to itself - which we don't have.

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry, chic robertson is supposed to be "mommymichael". lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ours is in the hall bath but it's very unobtrusive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Winnnnnnnnne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, another way of being green and saving money; have you heard of the Diva Cup? Its a reusable silicone menstrual cup that many women use inplace of a tampon or pad. One can (allegedly) wear it up for 12 hours, you dont feel it a la tampon (one one figures how to use it haha) and for about 25 bucks, its all your menstrual needs for a year. No pesticide balls of cotton up your hoo ha and at 25 bucks, its a lot cheaper than 12 bucks per box for a tampon you have to replace after 2-3 months. I might try it, I'm really intrigued! what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm just a-lurking until you talk about the elephant ;-)

    I would second the Diva Cup but your period is vacationing far away thanks to BF-ing and that is awesome.

    Being Texan has eliminated SO MANY CUTE NAMES from my potential list. Damn shame.

    ReplyDelete
  8. girlfriend, you need to discovered the beauty of picnik.com. It's free (well you can pay for the upgrade), but you could easily put one of those (what the hell are they called) cross out-thingies over a picture. EASY. :) Just fyi.

    ReplyDelete
  9. i love ur blog. I usually don't comment on everything but just wanted to say i'z love it!!!
    diva cup.......all the way.

    ~IG2S

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wonder if that's a premium thing. I'm trying to hold out against getting Photoshop but I really really want it! But I'll definitely check out picnik!
    And I just Googled 'circle slash' and it came up. What ARE those things called?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! And I've been nervous to try the diva cup but I'll definitely look into it when it comes time, which I hope isn't at least for a year! Maybe more!

    ReplyDelete
  12. We're doing great overnight in cloth, especially now that we just have pee overnight. Our newborn inserts aren't quite enough for the volume anymore, so I've started using the full size inserts snapped down and that works great.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ok okay I'm confused. What in the world is a diva cup? I even did a control F to make sure I didn't miss it in the blog entry! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. "But I totally didn't factor in the fact that she was born in Texas. Try as I might, I still get eye-NEZZ, said with full Texas twang. "

    guilty as charged!! i've totally been think/saying it the wrong way. sorry! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Maryn!! What are you up to?! :-)

    I used cloth with her last night but I had her in just a t-shirt and her diaper. She's such a squirmy baby that when she woke up for her night feed, she had wriggled her diaper halfway off! So of course she leaked with her little plumber's butt. :-) I'm putting her in a onesie tonight so her diaper will stay put and we'll see how that goes!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I just found your blog & came across this post! Love your blog! And i was cracking up about your daughter's name. It is a beautiful name, btw. I had to show my husband because he knows a lot of Spanish & he basically loves languages in general - he thought your post was funny, too! We want to name our (future) daughter Reina... I used to have a coworker with that name (& spelling) & I just loved it, but people could NEVER pronounce it when they called for her! I told him we could spell it Rayna to avoid that problem, but he insists on Reina because it is Spanish & that is how you spell it! That is fine with me, but our poor kid already. :) We're in Louisiana, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love the name Reina, and yes you have to spell it Spanish-ly! :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin