Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Mommyangels

Being a mom is not difficult.  It does not take an advanced degree to change a diaper.  You do not need to be fluent in five different languages to hold a baby on your chest or over your shoulder and say 'shhh.'  Once the kinks are ironed out, breastfeeding is pretty straightforward.  But, um, you guys?


Being a mom is hard.


You don't get a break - ever.  When they say it's a 24-7 job, that's not an exaggeration.  There is no job on the planet that is 24-7.  Every job gets some time off somewhere, sometime EXCEPT being a mom.  I am still completely and totally lovesick over my daughter, but sometimes I need to do something else other than take care of her.  


I felt guilty.  I felt like I was pussing out because I was at the breaking point at only four months in. I felt like I should be stronger because being a mother is not difficult.  Yet, there I was, Woman On The Verge.


It started with dog hair (doesn't it always?)  It was piling up again and the kitchen floor was embarrassingly dirty and something in me snapped.  I hadn't been out of the house in days.  I'd been taking care of the baby nonstop.  My hair was dirty and my scalp was itchy.  I didn't have deodorant on.  My tank top was stained with spit-up and had a hole in it.  My nursing bras have gotten too big and they looked sloppy.  The baby was crying because I think she's teething.  I had plugged ducts in my right breast that hurt like hell.  I felt like a madwoman and there was Drew, outside in the sunshine, doing yardwork and tending to the garden.  I resented him and I knew it was unreasonable, because God knows I refuse to mow a lawn and I'm NOT an outdoorsy person.  But in that moment I would have traded places with him just to get out of the house.  After about three hours, I stomped outside, all terse and crazy.


"How much longer are you going to be."
"Not much longer, why?"
"I NEED to mop the floor and vaccuum and I NEED you to take the baby."  (cue crazy eyes, don't say anything but 'okay' or I will cut you)
"Okay." (good man)


He came inside and took care of the baby while I mopped, vacuumed and straightened the house and I thought that would take care of the crazies, but it didn't.  I still felt itchy and desperate.  I went to bed, only to toss and turn and of course get up at two in the morning to take care of the baby.


Yesterday, I was no better.  I had to get out.  I had to get away.  I needed to leave the house for something, anything.  I strapped the baby in her carseat and left to fax some papers to the insurance company (another reason I wanted to stab somebody.  Why is flex spending such a pain in the ass?  It's OUR money, we shouldn't have to jump through so many mother-effin hoops to get OUR money!)


I faxed the papers but the thought of going home was too much to bear.  I'd walked out without telling Drew where I was going, so of course he called and wanted to know where I was.  I let loose with all kinds of unintelligible sentence fragments that I'm sure had him ready to send the White Coat people for me.


You know, this is hard on me too!
I haven't left the house!
Cleaning the house is not a break!
I just need relief!
I can't!
Four seconds after I'm done cleaning you give her to me!
I just can't!


No, I'm not coming home.  I'm going to drive until I don't want to scream anymore.


Poor Drew.  I'm sure he didn't even know what hit him.  I hung up the phone and got on the freeway.  I was a mess.  I was crying and I didn't know where I was going.  I was still in my holey, stained tank top with my ill-fitting nursing bra and some pajama pants that were two sizes too big.  Thank god the baby was sound asleep in the back - I didn't want her to see me like this.  I called my best friend and he talked me off the ledge.  He has a daughter several months older than Sofia so he knew where my head was, having seen his wife in the same place.  We talked until I was calm and I found myself about 20 miles away from home, in Lewisville.  I used to live in the area and I pulled into the parking lot of the nearby mall with the intent of just walking around since I didn't need to drive anymore.


Before I walked in, I called a girlfriend of mine who lived in the area with her family.  We met when she was pregnant with her first child 12 (!) years ago and we've been friends ever since.  She has two kids now and we don't see each other or speak that often but this day I called her and she answered.  The fact that she was pulling into the mall parking lot at that same moment was nothing short of Divine Intervention.  I was in crisis and needed a friend and she was there.


I met her at the JC Penney just as she was walking in.  I tried my hardest to keep it together, but when I saw her sweet face and those understanding mommy eyes, I was gone.  Without a word, she grabbed me in a hug and let me cry on her shoulder.  I wasn't all crazy boo-hooing or anything, but I couldn't stop the tears.  She just rubbed my back and said "I know"  over and over again.


After just a couple of minutes, I pulled myself together and apologized for being such a nutbag.  She was like "are you kidding me?  You're a mom and I get it.  You're fine.  Why don't we walk around a bit?"


We went to the food court and had smoothies, talking about mom stuff.  All I want in the world is to wash my hair!  Yes, I know!  And you just want to sit and read a book sometimes! Yes!  And it's not that you don't love being a mom!  Exactly!  I just need to do something else sometimes!  I know!  You just need a break to yourself!  Yes!  And cleaning or grocery shopping is not a break!  I know!


It was exactly what I needed.  We walked around some more, I bought myself some properly-fitting clothes, I got an outfit for the baby, she bought an outfit for the baby and with each step I felt myself returning to center.  I was able to breathe again.  I felt validated and no longer guilty.


After a few hours, I returned home and Drew took the baby while I took a nap.  It was the first time that I didn't sleep with one eye or ear open and it felt so good.  After I woke up, I ate a sandwich he'd made me and took a long hot shower.  When I got out, we talked.  I told him that I'm not always able to give warning signs when I'm going down, that I needed him to be observant too, and step in before I disappear down the rabbit hole.  I told him that sometimes cries for help don't come in neat packages and I needed him to read the situation and realize that danger is brewing.  It got heated at times because he thought I was blaming him or expecting him to read my mind but we made it through.


I love being a mom and I'm more than grateful that I get to stay home and raise my child.  But I'm still human and I need to recharge my batteries just like anyone else.  We're not meant to do any one thing non-stop for any period of time, not even mothering.  When your tank is empty and you're burnt out, you're no longer effective and sometimes you need an outside force to step in and relieve you when you're so entrenched you can't do it yourself.



If I hadn't talked to my best friend and if my mommyangel friend hadn't answered my call, I would probably have been in Kansas by now, which I guess wouldn't be so bad.  At least I had sense enough to point the car north because eventually I would have ended up at my parents house.  Can you imagine if I would have driven south?  I'd be at the border by now, crossing over and selling gum in the street with my baby on my back - that's how much of a mess I was. 

But I'm so much better today.  I'm clean, I'm rested and I'm ready to mother once again.  I'm back in the game.  However, the only reason I'm standing is because of my support:  my husband, my best friend, and my mommyangel.  Mothering is no joke and there is no way on Earth you can do it alone.  No matter where it comes from, you have to have help, whether it's an encouraging word from a fellow mom or someone you trust to take your baby for just a few hours while you figure out how to breathe again.


So you can remember why you do it.
Rolling from Desiree on Vimeo.


She learned how to roll over when I was at my parent's house last month 
and now she's a pro!
Any day now she's gonna go back to tummy, I see it in her eyes!

17 comments:

  1. Oh man, I have so been there. I am so sorry. Yes, it can be really really hard. I so wanted a baby because I knew it would bring so much richness to my life, in both good and bad. The variance in my life is so much greater than it was before the baby arrived. And you know what, I really like that. I feel really alive going from overwhelmed to overjoyed.

    But that said, a break is important. Have you thought about getting someone who can come in for 3-4 hours a couple of times a week to give you time to rest, shower, cook, clean, go shopping, exercise, or whatever the hell you feel like doing? It's nice to not always have to rely on my husband to provide me with time off. Sometimes I just work on my baby's blog and edit photos of her while the nanny is here, but what the hell. It makes me feel a bit more centered and in control of where my head is at.

    Also, I like to take Mads out when I feel that edge getting close. Hearing people oh and aw over her is so validating.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Um, dude...can relate. And you will keep on needing that time out and away as she gets older too...sometimes we have our breaking points, too and need some rejuvenation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last week I read a blog post on this same theme. I remember reading this line "I love you with all of my heart, but not with all of my time."

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can honestly say that I am scared for this part of mommyhood. EEK! Just think... if you had kept driving north, you could have visited me in MN! hahahahaha

    ReplyDelete
  5. Obviously, there are no words I can give you to express how deep my admiration for you goes. Go you for being able to share this with thousands of strangers everyday- you are undeniably brave. I'm glad you're ok and I will do my best to send your prayers when you are not. You're amazing everyday, even when the day sucks and Sofia is so lucky to have you as a mommy :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did end up at my parents house!! My husband was deployed, I already had one child and my 2nd baby screamed all night every night. I literally ran for the hills. i was desperate. It didn't help that the pedi told me "it's just a parenting issue.. you need to let him CIO." Right, because that would help a child who was ALREADY screaming all night. But good ol' mom helped me sort it all out.

    I'm glad you got the support you needed in a time of the mom crazies. We all have them. =) Sounds like Drew is a very understanding husband. Such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know exactly how you feel. I went through it myself. I didn't want to ask for help but I needed it. My family knew and they stepped in because they saw me breaking down. I am so blessed to have great family and friends. I don't think I would have made it almost 2 years without them.

    You'll be alright. Ask got help when you need it. I'm sure its always available to you.

    That rolling over is so sweet! and the excitement in your voice is even sweeter! lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have been there SO many times!! And with my family and close friends being in France, I thought I was going to loose it. But babies grow up and it gets better, although you will ALWAYS need time for yourself I think (at least I do). I expected motherhood to be so easy and I found out it's the total opposite; it's the hardest thing in the world to me. Thanks for being so honest! Women have a lot of pressure from society on what a good mom should be and I think if more women said what they really felt, it wouldn't be like that...

    ReplyDelete
  9. I.understand.

    I have my moments too! Last night I was working on stuff until midnight. Mariah wakes up for her 4 a.m. feeding. And my husband handed her to me. Negative! He said he fed her the night before. I nearly snapped. I calmly told him that I've been doing it night after night after night and it was his turn. I rolled over and went to sleep. I think the key is to communicate and let them know when you need help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm so glad you had people to call and talk to and just HUG you! Sofia has the best facial expressions ever. The determination and fierce drive in her eyes are amazing. She's going to work hard at whatever she does. Makes me think of her being determined to stick it out in the womb :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Girl, I so feel your pain. I remember those days. I'm so thankful you have a great support system. It makes all the difference in the world!

    Way to go Sophia!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ugh, I hear you! My daughter is going to be 5 months old this Sunday and I'm totally in that place with you. Hang in there, we can do it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ooh, lord, guess I'd better try to get psychologically prepared. Thanks for sharing your experiences. If I'm ever going thru thing similar, I'm sure some of what you've wrote in various posts will ring in my mind. And hopefully help me tie my rope and hang on. *lol*

    ReplyDelete
  14. *hugs* I STILL flip the eff out when I feel like I'm on house arrest. Anytime you want to escape together (with the babies strapped on our backs because I don't trust my husband for an extended period of time with her) let me know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  15. *hugs* I STILL flip the eff out when I feel like I'm on house arrest. Anytime you want to escape together (with the babies strapped on our backs because I don't trust my husband for an extended period of time with her) let me know. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  16. i'm glad to hear you are doing better! i feel so bad, b/c i started to email to check on you last friday but then got sucked into my own vortex of mommyhood. i just had this conversation with my sister last night and both of our kids are 17 months old. it's so easy to lose yourself in your mommy role that the old person barely exists anymore. even when i'm away from my little one i'm either shopping for her or running errands related to her.

    the first time i left my little one with my husband and just went out to dinner by myself i felt so guilty at first and i missed her like crazy, but it was just SO nice to be able to sit quietly and enjoy a meal and a cocktail without a) picking dropped silverware off the floor, b) constantly moving everything on the table out of her reach, an b) dealing with toddler meltdowns in the middle of a room full of people.

    i don't get to do it often, but it sure beats getting my "me time" at the grocery store.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I've taken to getting a Starbucks at the grocery store so it doesn't seem so much like 'work.' :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin