Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mahalo and aloha

I have to wrap up my Hawaii recap because I need this space tomorrow to whine and wail and gnash my teeth because Sofia goes to school tomorrow.  She starts her Mother's Day Out program and I'm a shaky mess just thinking about it.


So, let's look at some pictures to take my mind off the fact that tomorrow marks the first day that I will be away from her for longer than a few hours.  *sniff whimper shake*  Must! Look At! Cute Pictures!
We rented a car and drove up the coast to the beach one of the days and 
I refused to give up on her beach accessories.
building sand castles
This one's getting blown up and framed.
Those legs!
picture perfect
We also visited the Kilauea Lighthouse.  Thank goodness I brought the Ergo because
she's getting a little big to carry in my arms!
However, she's just big enough for Daddy's shoulders!
Having a manapua at the waterfall.
These sandwiches were so freakin' good!
We got them at the 7-11 of all places and they were the BOMB! 
I can't remember the name of these waterfalls to save my life, but they were gorgeous!
We also visited Waimea Canyon - think Grand Canyon, smaller and greener but no less majestic.  It took FOREVER to drive up there and this lookout was the first stop.  When we got there, I was like 'Cool, we've seen it, let's go have lunch.'  Drew was like 'umm, there are three more stops before you get to the top.'
Thank God there was a restaurant halfway up.
looking like tourists
Pensive
The canyon went on forever! 
To think that this is smaller than the Grand Canyon is very humbling.
where the canyon meets the ocean
Doing a tiny bit of hiking and by hiking, I mean parking our car in the parking lot and walking approximately two hundred feet.  That's how *I* hike.
Our last three days of vacation, we switched hotels so we could keep using Drew's points.  For Father's Day, we rented one of the bungalows by the pool and lounged for the day.
I'd never been in a cabana/bungalow before and it was as cool as I thought it would be.  We had our own private spot to hang out and let the baby play and it was perfect!
That night, Father's Day dinner was at Roy's
The way to my heart is through good customer service and we didn't get it anywhere the entire time we were there.  It was disappointing and I guess they think that the scenery should make up for the poor service.  So I was ecstatic to get top-notch service at Roy's - they did everything right!  I'm so glad Drew got such a great Father's Day dinner!
When his dish came I was like 'Don't eat yet!  I have to get a picture for the blog!'
He had the butterfish, Roy's signature dish and he was in heaven!
I had the scallops and shrimp and 
I didn't even mind that the heads were still on the plate!
Sofia is just starting to make these faces when she sees the camera.
She is turning into such a ham!
We made it home without incident and it was definitely a vacation to remember!  I'm so thankful to have spent so much time together as a family and we are so truly blessed!
Thanks for joining us on our little vacation recap!

Photobucket

15 comments:

  1. Sooooo beautiful!! No wonder the sitter wanted her...shes totally adorbs!!
    Sooo jealous of your vacay!!
    She still is in an infant carrier!? Wow!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, she still fits in the Ergo thank goodness! I think the weight limit on it is 35 pounds and she's nowhere near that, so as long as she's cool with being in it I'm going to keep using it! It came in so handy on our trip!

      Delete
  2. This trip looks amazing. Your pictures are gorgeous! What kind of carrier are you sportin'? Fingers crossed tomorrow is awesome for both of you! Sending SS to "school", was terrible (for me) the first few days, and now I adore her teachers, mainly because they adore my daughter!! Cheers lady!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great trip recap! I was born and raised in Hawaii. I lived 2 years on Kauai after college working for the daily paper as a reporter. The item you ate from 7-11 was a manapua. It's a slightly sweet bread bun filled with Chinese bbq pork. It is os yummy! Loved your pictures! I'm sorry to hear most of the service you received on Kauai was just meh. It is truly not how the island is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for the correction! I knew I wasn't spelling it right! :-) I'm not joking, I must have asked Drew like four times if we could go back and get some more! I'm off to change my post right now...

    As for the service, I was bummed too - I knew there was such a thing as island time, but that was kind of silly! I guess since I put myself through school waiting tables, I'm sensitive to that stuff. Plus, it just made me sad when my mai tai disappeared and it took so long to get another one! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's an Ergo and I love it! It was just what we needed when we were out and about.

    As for tomorrow, I fully expect to be all kinds of mopey and sad. I'm totally procrastinating on making her lunch. I can't believe I have to make her lunch! Waaaaahhh!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Plus, it's not like we went to every restaurant on the island. I'm sure there are lots of places that have great service! But don't get me wrong, I LOVED every second of our visit and it truly is a magical place!! I even got some Ni'ihau shell earrings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha! When our friends and I went to Maui, I did the exact same thing: "Don't Touch it Yet! I have to take a picture!" when our dessert came. :) Glad y'all had a good time! You'll do just fine at Mommy's Day Out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow - SUCH fun pictures!! How awesome to have so many of Drew's points to use to help make vacation with a baby a little easier!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I sure hope so. I'm filling out the paperwork now and it's talking about 'which hospital do you want us to use in case of emergency?' I'm totally hyperventilating.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yeah, his travel perks are nice indeed! This will probably be our last nice big vacation because he won't be traveling as much once we move. At least that's the idea...

    ReplyDelete
  11. You all are such a cute little family. And just think, you left Sofia for the day you and Drew went out and it turned out wonderfully, for you and her. Tomorrow will be great! And it will get easier every day! I have loved reading your Hawaii recaps.

    ReplyDelete
  12. That last pic of her in the car is so sweet!!!! You guys got some amazing pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun vacation!!! :) I'm sorry to hear you didn't have good customer service!! But that food looks AMAZING! Don't even get me started on the views... stunning! And your hiking is my kind of hiking. :) That's probably why we're friends.

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a great Vacation, I so can't wait for ours in two weeks :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin