Friday, September 28, 2012

Of COURSE I'll drive to Virginia to sit on a sofa

As soon as they delivered our furniture, we knew we'd have to get a new sofa.  The old one was Drew's and it fit just fine in the loft because well, it was a loft.  There was lots of space for a sofa with a chaise and a big ottoman.  It also fit in our old house because our living room was a nice big square and again, there was lots of room.  However, this house?  Not so much.
Not only did the sofa have an ottoman, but the chair did too.  
That's a lotta ottomans for a dinky rectangular room.

Additionally, Maya had made a home of the chaise part of the sofa.  That was her lounge spot and you could tell.  Even with the best cleaning, it was getting spotty and dingy and it STUNK.  I was on the floor playing with Sofia and I made the mistake of turning my head toward the sofa while I inhaled.  I nearly passed out and immediately texted Drew that we were buying a new sofa as soon as we moved.

Soon enough, it came time to sofa shop.  We both knew that we wanted a regular sofa this time.  A sectional would make things feel too closed off and we need all the floor space we can get.  We searched high and low for a sofa that wasn't too boring but not too fancy, and that we both could agree on.  We looked at over twenty sofas, none of them being 'the one.'

Then we found two contenders, both from Z Gallerie.
The Brighton, although we were looking at the Moonbeam.
Or the Harrison

We both liked the interesting arms, we liked the colors, but we couldn't arrive at a final decision.  I was super way extra nervous about spending that kind of money on a piece of furniture sight unseen.  I wanted to sit on it, lay on it, feel it and make sure that aaaaaallll those dolla bills were going to the right place.

We were so close to just placing the order and crossing our fingers but the thought of  aaaaaaaallllll those dolla bills paralyzed me.  I just couldn't bring myself to okay that big of a purchase without seeing it in person.  Except, there was one tiny problem.

There are no Z Galleries in the state of Pennsylvania.  In order to lay hands on this sofa, I would have to make a field trip to the nearest store - in Virginia.  

Now I know driving to another state just to sit on a sofa sounds ridiculous but that's a lotta dolla bills so it was worth it to me.  

Tyson's Corner was two and a half hours away and we set off right before Sofia's nap.  I have a champion car-napper - the kid will sleep in her carseat at the drop of a hat.  She can have an awesome nap at home and will still sleep in the carseat.  I used to worry that she wasn't getting enough sleep because of course the internet says you're a bad mother if your kid sleeps in their carseat because it means they're not getting enough sleep at home.  But after 11 hours of sleep at night and a good hour and a half nap and she still falls asleep, well, I just shrug my shoulders and count my blessings.

Sofia slept nearly the whole way, waking up about twenty minutes out.  I was insanely grateful to her and as we headed toward the store, I promised her a pony if she would just hang with me for a few more minutes.

They had the Brighton at the front door, in the color we were looking at and everything!
My model was less than enthusiastic and not quite a lady.  
We're working on it.
I'd asked the saleslady to take pictures of my so I could text them to Drew.
If I sat all the way back on the Brighton, my feet couldn't touch the floor.
I wasn't a fan.
Again with my daughter not being a lady, but at least my feet touch the floor with the Harrison.

The other thing I liked about the Harrison is that the arms were higher than the Brighton.  I like having an armrest, as they come in handy while nursing.  I assumed the position with Sofia just to make sure I could nurse her and it was nice and comfortable.  Of course, she was not aware that this was just practice and demanded the real thing.  It's super fun to nurse in a furniture store, btw.  I'm totally down for nursing in public, but this particular sofa was right in the front window, with all the people just passing by, looking at my daughter trying to undress me.  I opted to take a quick nursing break in the bathroom and come back to finish my sofa-sitting.

After a boatload of deliberation, and I mean picture me going back and forth and back and forth and BACK AND FORTH, literally sitting on one sofa, then the other one, I finally decided.  I couldn't help it - that sofa was nasty expensive and I didn't want to make the wrong decision for us.  Drew entrusted me with the final choice which was no pressure at all.  But I did it.  I handed over the debit card and signed on the dotted line.

That was four weeks ago.  Which by the way, why in the F does it take so long to get an in-stock sofa?  It's not like they were sewing it by hand!

At any rate, please welcome Harrison!
I busted out the fancy camera for these pictures, but I have no idea how to use it.
That's why the lamp on the left is all blown out.  My bad.

It's so pretty and fancy and I love it so much!  And there is no way in HELL that I'm letting Maya stinkify this one so I got a scat mat too.  It's on the sofa but I haven't heard any yelping yet so I'm assuming Maya isn't interested in this new sofa yet.  
We also got the buffet and I'm nervous because it's so shiny.
I've wanted a mirrored piece of furniture since forever and now that it's here,
I'm worried that I'm not up to the task of owning a piece of mirrored furniture.
It's not for the faint of heart!

After I took this picture, I straightened up a bit so it looks a little more presentable.
With all the ottomans gone, there's so much more room but now I'm debating whether we should get a smaller storage type ottoman instead of the baskets.
Plus, if you look at the TV wall, you can kind of see how the silver gray paint is going to really brighten the room.
I took away one of the long bolsters and brought in the pillows that were on the old sofa for some color.  Also, we NEED window treatments like woah.

I'm really happy with our new sofa and buffet and my next task is to finish painting the living room so I can hang some pictures in there!  All of our walls are so sadly bare and they need some major sprucing.  Once the kitchen is done (Lord help me), Chris is going to get started on the built-ins for our bedroom and the living room.

Home renovation is definitely a marathon rather than a sprint, but new living room furniture is a pretty major piece and it really makes a huge difference.  Now we just have to send out the brown chair to get reupholstered among the 80,000 other things on the list.

Baby steps y'all....

Photobucket

14 comments:

  1. It looks great! I love the mirrored buffet--it has a nice 1920s vintage feel without overpowering the room with its uniqueness. I think a storage ottoman would be great instead of the baskets, and it would add some extra seating by the wall if you ever have a bunch of people over to watch a movie or something. (I just got new roommate's and we're redecorating our apartment so I have home decor on the bain, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are hilarious. Nice work! I like both pieces!! You and S are adorable!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely, the place is coming together nicely. Really, you need to write a book, you have a great voice and a point of view-- you know the real-deal mommies not the everything is perfect, look at my life, mommies, that make the rest of us feel guilty But the real ones, that we inspire and motivate and let us laugh at ourselves. I thoroughly enjoy your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE that couch!! it has so much style. I'm totally envious. I actually have a Pinterest Board called "I want and new couch." Hubby does not agree. I also really like the mirror sideboard. I want one of those too. You're just too cool for me. (We may have to end our friendship, jk)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you kidding me? Every time I turn around I'm pinning something of yours! You're the one with the style! But thanks for the encouragement on the sofa and buffet/sideboard/credenza. :-) It's not easy picking out these big pieces and I was nervous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much! You hear that book people?! I need a book deal! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. The sideboard is super gorgeous. You are brave to bring that couch home. My kids and husband would have destroyed it instantly! I'd love to know where you got the rug? Our couch is that same color and I think that rug would look great in my own living room.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got it from Overstock - it's where I get all my rugs. It's 100% wool and for an 8x10, I got it for an amazing price! It's got blues and grays and it could even pull some greens with the right accessories. It's muted and moody and I really like it!

    And the sofa seems to be holding up - the scat mat is working and the dog hasn't gone anywhere near it, so I have high hopes! I try to keep a lookout for the baby's sticky fingers so we're doing ok on that front too. We just need to Scotchgard it to further protect it but I think it's going to be ok!

    ReplyDelete
  9. We quite literally live on our couch so within a year they all look like they've been through WW III so I haven't yet bothered to buy something fancier than Rooms-To-Go quality. I live for the day when I can bring home nice furniture. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello! I found your blog because I googled "Harrison sofa" and your living room popped up! I have been wanting to buy this couch for over 1 year and have been contemplating! How has it been holding up? Does it wear out easily? Ahh I don't know if I can spend aaalllll that money on a couch that I don't know if it will be durable!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I found your blog because I googled "Harrison sofa" and your living room popped up! I have been wanting to buy this couch for over 1 year and have been contemplating! How has it been holding up? Does it wear out easily? Ahh I don't know if I can spend aaalllll that money on a couch that I don't know if it will be durable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's been holding up really well and I'm still really happy with it. I removed the bolsters and put more pillows on it and that makes it more cozy. We haven't had it long enough to really comment on how it's wearing, but so far so good! I just can't wait to layer in more colors - it's a dark gray and my living room needs some life!

      Delete
    2. So I ha my Harrison sofa delivered today and guess what, one of the legs came damaged!! I called zgallerie and they are going to order the part which takes 4-6 weeks to deliver then try are going to have a technician come and replace the frame of the sofa. I was upset because I wanted a brand new sofa. I didn't spend all that money for a broken one. I don't know if I should continue fighting for them to send me another sofa or just have them replace the frame. Other than that damage the sofa looks mighty fine! I love the color and everything!! Thanks for putting ur pictures up of it. I wanted to get a feel of how the sofa would look in a house as opposed to just the store!

      Delete
    3. OMG. The EXACT same thing happened to us and I was LIVID. I didn't want to even accept the sofa in its broken condition but the other one was already in the basement and Drew didn't want to drag it back up while the situation was resolved, so we lived with our stupid broken sofa for 6 weeks. I was FURIOUS and called Z Gallerie like every other day - seriously.

      I even called them out on Twitter and Facebook, and they actually responded. Of course, they only said that they'd be able to replace the frame and legs since there was nothing wrong with the sofa itself. UGH. But about 6 weeks after we got our broken sofa, they came and replaced the frame. UGH!!

      I'm so sorry that happened to you too! If I can ever get my shit together, I might blog about this.

      Delete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin