Sunday, September 2, 2012

Reason 693 why I suck as a mother

I had it all wrong.

Here I was, being all 'woe is me' and feeling sad about life.  I was sad because I had to leave Texas, where I'd lived for the past 17 years.  I was sad because I have no friends here and the prospects are pretty slim.  I was sad because even though we're together, I'm still alone.  I was sad that I've been living like this for pretty much the past year and I was cracking at the seams because of it.

But I've had it all wrong.  

I've been thinking of myself when I should have been thinking of my daughter.  I need to be thinking about the fact that everything she's ever known has been turned upside down.  She sleeps in a crib, but now it's a pack n play.  She used to have weekly playdates and now there are none.  She's so smart and so aware and she gets her vibes from me and she knows things are off.  She knows that this isn't her house and I haven't been sensitive enough to that.  I've been impatient with her when she pulls at me while I'm on the phone with Comcast trying to set up our internet.  As if that matters.  I'm the only constant in her world and I've been expecting her to be okay with things, as if she can.  She's been wanting to nurse night and day and it's been hard on me because it's literally all night and all day.

But where the hell do I get off being annoyed by the fact that my daughter is doing the only thing she knows how to do in order to cope with all this upheaval?  Seriously, I can't believe how much I suck right now.

And who the hell am I that I'm letting outside drama keep me from being the best mother I can be?  Where do I get off being upset?  I mean, I know I'm a person but I have a responsibility as a mother to keep my shit together and I have been falling down on the job.

Well, no fucking more.  Right here right now, it stops.  I've been slipping, but no more.  It is my job to make sure that Sofia is okay, nothing else.  Fuck the internet, fuck painting the house, fuck moving in, fuck it all.  Nothing matters but my kid.  Nothing matters if she's not okay.

I don't have all the answers and most days I don't know what I'm doing and most other days I'm pretty sure I'm screwing up, but one thing I do know is that I would go to the ends of the Earth for that little girl.  Her happiness is all I want in life.  I need to be better for her, so I need to suck it up, put on a happy face and be a better mother.  And I'm going to be, starting right now.

I just needed to get that off my chest.

Photobucket

11 comments:

  1. You are an awesome mom! This is my first time commenting (successfully), but I'm a loyal reader/lurker. So, trust me, I totally know. Sofia is your world, and it's clear as day that you try your best. She will become a lovely, intelligent, and polite young lady, that knows worth. That is because of you. Be easy G. Be easy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for that post! I've been reading long enough that I feel like I can say: you're an amazing mom to that girl. Even as a mom, you have to be allowed to lose your shit a bit every now and then. That said, I'm glad you said this because after the hectic-ass day I had yesterday, I needed someone to remind me to just refocus on my son for a while. Keep blogging, Desiree; you remind me to laugh (...and swear when needed) when motherhood is doing my head in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. And thank YOU for making me chuckle just now. Sometimes you need a good F bomb in life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha; yes you do. That may have been my favourite part.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Every time I'm about to lose it, I'm totally going to tell myself "be easy G." I love that.

    Please excuse the brevity, sent from my phone

    ReplyDelete
  6. You rock and don't you forget it! We are all just trying to keep our head above water!! That little lady is lucky to have you as a Mommy!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't get too down on yourself! You're allowed to have emotions and be stressed about things! Sofia is such a lucky girl to have an amazing mom like you. YES. You're amazing. But you're human. It's ok. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Actually, this is reason 1,023 that you're an awesome mom. Because you realized this. This. THIS is what makes an awesome mom. Not perfection. How are our children supposed to learn how to grow and change if they don't see us growing and changing and tweaking our behavior when our behavior doesn't match what we want it to be?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for that. I need those words of encouragement when I'm low.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin