Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Pinned and done

Alternate title:  Never Buy Drawer Organizers Again

You guys!  Check it!  Remember how yesterday I was all upset because the kitchen was taking for-frickin-EVER?  And how I needed a small project to give me some mojo?  Something quick and easy to keep me from going insane because the kitchen is still not done?  

Well, the Pinterest gods smiled on me and I got er done!  

After Sofia went to bed last night, I spent some time with my Precious, I mean, my Pinterest(PS, do you follow me?  Please do, because I need more quick and easy house projects!)  While clicking around, I found this little gem.

I read through the tutorial, getting more and more excited because I have a drawer that needs organizing and it seemed so quick and easy!  So don't you know the second Sofia woke up this morning we went straight to the Home Depot and I bought two poplar boards at $1.78 each.  I quickly returned the three organizer bin things to Target that were five bucks a piece and too short for my drawer anyway.  The gods smiled on me further because Sofia fell asleep on the way home, and stayed asleep.  That meant I could start my project right that second - how's that for instant gratification?!

The culprit. 
The drawer to the right of our stove is a big fat hot mess.
I already owned one bin and you see how it's useless because it's too short?  
I'm 'bout to fix all that.

After I took everything out of the drawer, I assembled my tools.
Not shown is the hacksaw I used, which you will be happy to know that 
I used without cutting myself!
I measured the drawer, measured the board and took it outside to cut it.
The board is only 1/4" thick so it was super easy to cut through with just the handsaw.
A quick sanding of the rough edges and my first divider went in the drawer!
Which I didn't get a picture of - boo.
But I got a picture of the second board!  
And yes, we have two cheese graters and two mandolins.  
I need every kitchen utensil ever made to make cooking easier for me.
Sometimes I need two.
One more cut, some Gorilla Glue to keep the boards from wiggling, and 
I have an organized drawer where everything fits perfectly!

I had to stop here because Sofia woke up and the sofa delivery guys arrived, but this project took me less than an hour.  I will probably make one more divider for the center just to organize things just a little more, but I'm not done!

I knew I could do better with all those knives, so with the money I saved from buying divider bins, I bought a knife strip.
Like this, but ours will go inside the cabinet just above the drawer and look 
less like a serial killer's workshop.

I hope the strip fits inside the cabinets, because I'm loving the organized drawer and with the knife compartment empty, there will be even more breathing room in there.  But more importantly, I got a project done!  It felt so good to be out there sawing, making things, nesting.  I haven't felt that in a long time and it totally got my creative juices flowing. 

Drew's parents are coming on Saturday and I can't wait to get that free babysitting and get some stuff done around here!  I MEAN, it'll be so nice for Sofia to spend some quality time with her grandma and grandpa.  Although I might possibly maybe have a list of projects that it sure would be nice to be able to do, if a certain small person could be otherwise occupied.  I'm just sayin.

So for real you guys, organize your drawers like this.  Do not buy dividers ever again.  For about three bucks, you can have custom dividers that fit your stuff perfectly and you don't have to mess with store bought ones that hardly ever match your drawers anyway.

Next up, finishing that God Bless-ed KITCHEN!

Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. DUDE! Good work! :) I need to do this to our drawers too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's so easy and that's just what I needed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a fantastic idea! Perfect timing, I was just looking at my dresser drawer the other day and realized my undergarments need organizing,lol.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You should totally do it - the satisfaction you get from having everything in its place is worth it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that knife strip and the idea of puttingit inside a shelf. I might have to do that. i really want to clear my counters in the kitchen.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin