Tuesday, September 25, 2012

The truth about home renovation

The blogs were lying to me.  All those pretty before and after pictures that made it look so easy.  All lies!  Oh sure, some of them were like 'oh gosh golly gee, it sure was annoying to live without a kitchen for all that time, but we just put on our happy faces!'

Friends, I'm here to tell you the truth:  Home renovation sucks.  Home renovation means your closet looks like this:
Everything in the guest bedroom in preparation for the built-ins
Thank goodness we saved the wardrobe boxes from our move!

It means your living room looks like this:
Our new sofa comes tomorrow and Drew is gone this week so he had to move our old one to the basement before he left.  On the bright side, we have tons of room for our daily dance parties!  My baby girl loves to dance!

Home renovation means your kitchen and dining room looks like this:
The kitchen still isn't done, so this is how we're living.

Oh, how spoiled we were in our last house.  We didn't have to do anything but decorate, which I now realize is the part I like about DIY.  Small projects that give me instant gratification, that's what keeps me going.  These big projects that take thousands of years to complete?  You have have that shizz.

But it's not all bad.  I just needed to get that off my chest, because living in chaos is no fun and having a toddler running around makes everything fifteen times more challenging.

I just keep telling myself that it's going to be over soon, because the money is going to run out and it'll HAVE to be over.  Har de har har.

Okay!  Enough bitching!  Let's get on to some good stuff!  Like our sexy sexy backsplash (that's not done yet but we're not focusing on that.)
At first, I thought the randomness of the pattern would upset my OCD, but as my cousin's wife pointed out, randomness is itself a pattern.  
Deep, right?
This is a fancy-pants pot-filler.
It's very fancy.
I need to quit taking pictures with my phone.
Or at least turn the damn thing sideways.  Sorry y'all.
I promise I'll take better pictures next post.

If you squint really hard and look above the doorway especially, you can see the greeny gray we finally chose for the kitchen.  Well, actually it's the same color as the stripes on the dining room wall, so I guess what I mean is that I finally painted that wall.  It's Ocean Pearl by Behr and I was up until two this morning painting the kitchen and our master bathroom. Which I'm about to beg y'all to help me with.

That brings me to the other truth about home renovation:  Working with a blank slate is harder than I thought.  Let's talk about our master bathroom for a sec.

First of all, it's weensy.
It's ridiculously hard to get a decent shot of this bathroom because it's so small.
PS, it's also ridiculously hard to find a decent shower curtain for a shower stall.
This was literally the only one I could find that was even halfway cute.
Standing in the shower stall, facing the other way.
And this is my dilemma.
This too.  Please help me!

You see, I need a small project to keep my motivation going.  The rest of my house is a disaster area and I really just need some space, any space to be done.  The weensy bathroom shouldn't be that hard, right?

I painted it last night and the greeny gray looks really nice in there.  But what the heck do I do over the toilet?  It's so tiny and the vanity and medicine cabinet are brown, and I don't want to overload the room with more brown.  I was thinking to put a glass shelf over it and spray paint the hardware oil rubbed bronze so it would all match, but if I do some sort of shelves to the left of the medicine cabinet, would that be too much shelving?  Additionally, we have no towel holders.  
I bought a hook to go on this skinny part of the wall, but yeah.  
That's as far as I've gotten with this room.

Do I do a towel ring?
Like this guy?

Or a wall shelf with a towel bar and just put some art over the toilet?
Like this one?

I don't want to do a cabinet because the medicine cabinet is pretty big and two cabinets in such a weensy space would definitely be too much.

And then the window?  Curtains in such a small space would be silly - I need something clean and neat, like roman shades.  There are tons of no-sew roman shade tutorials out there, so I'm not too worried about that part.  Unless you count having to pick out fabric.  Then I get all twitchy and catatonic.

So, won't you please give me a little boost?  I've already painted - what should I do next?  Won't you please help me have just a little win in our weensy bathroom?

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. First - if you don't love the shower curtain, you could always use a curtain panel, and put a clear plastic shower curtain behind it. :) Just a thought.

    Second - I think I like the shelf/towel rack. It's pretty and functional. Perfect for a tiny bathroom.

    Third - the window... what if you did the window frosting option? Didn't you do that in your old house? They also have stuff you can stick up in the window that is decorative but lets light in... I think that's what we're doing in OUR teeny tiny bathroom.

    Fourth - the kitchen is looking AMAZING! I love it so much, and I can't wait to see it finished!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually like the shower curtain, so it'll probably stay. It just took me forever to find something! And I don't have to worry about privacy with the window - it's small and it looks out over the giant backyard so I wouldn't have to frost it.

    And yeah, I'm going to love the kitchen when it's done too! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the shelf/towel rod combo. It would give you a little extra storage.

    for the window, how about applying a frosted window film? No need to sew anything or pick fabrics, and you have privacy without cutting out the natural light. And you can always add shades at a later date.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oops, just saw your comment about the frosting!

    Home Depot has some amazing frameless glass shower doors; we installed them in both our bathrooms in our last house. They're available online and are made by Keystone by MAAX. The glass is totally clear (the pictures on the website make it look tinted, but it's not). And the price is great. If you have room for a shower door in the bathroom, I'd totally go that route.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Unfortunately, the bathroom is so weensy we can't put a shower door unless it opens into the shower or we get some sort of bifold door, that would also have to open into the shower. It has to be a curtain for now. But it's ok, I don't hate the curtain and it works for now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that IS a very fancy pot filler! :) i've never seen one before --genius!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Personally, for the bathroom, I like the art + towel rack/shelf idea. That way you get some storage. Or, there might be a really shallow bathroom cabinet idea from somewhere like IKEA that could work, too. Basically, I'd go for whatever lets you use the largest amount of the space you have. I'm actually trying to decide on some bathroom art, too, so I can't wait to see what ideas you have!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the calm earthtones of your home and you're right that IS some sexy back splash. How cool are you- dance parties with your girl. I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Girl yes! I have so much stress and chaos in my life I need my house to be as calm and soothing as possible!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This article is very good & informative.I have gain so much information from this blog.I like your blog.Thanks for the post.I am waiting for your new post.

    Remodeling Birmingham

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin