Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Baby gifts

I got my first baby gifts!!  Well, technically they're my second and third baby gifts but these are so awesome and cute!  Oh wait, there was the stuffed monkey from Kathleen...  okay never mind, these aren't the first gifts for the baby but they're soooo cute!

I'm kind of paranoid about buying things for the baby because although I have no reason to think something is going to happen to the baby, I'm still haunted by the idea of furnishing the nursery, buying clothes, books and toys and coming home empty-handed and having to face all that.  In some cultures, you don't buy anything for the baby, not one thing, until they are home safe and healthy.  I get that and while I want to remain positive at all times in all things, I'm still scared.

Drew came back Saturday night but I was having dinner with some girlfriends so I didn't actually get to see him until Sunday morning.  When I woke up, he was gone running but he'd left some presents for me on the kitchen island.  There was also a card, addressed to 'My Baby's Mama'.  I loved it! 


What a pretty necklace right!  He said now that our family is expanding we're making room in our hearts!  Awwwww.....

I'm constantly putting my feet on him in the bed because he's like a furnace and I'm constantly cold.  Incidentally, they said when you're pregnant you're supposed to overheat more easily but I don't feel it.  I'm still just as cold as ever and I'm often wearing sweats and socks in the house while he's walking around in a tank-top and shorts.  Drew said if the baby was anything like me, he or she would need these.


I know the pictures are kind of blurry but I never claimed to be a photographer.  You get the idea - how cute are these teeny tiny socks!!  I really hope the baby will be able to wear these for a while, they're just too cute for words.

The third thing totally made me laugh when I saw it.  I have an obsession with noodles and I will eat them any day of the week and twice on Sunday and mac and cheese is pretty much the best food ever.  Drew said he was worried about my eating habits while he was gone, so he wanted to help me out since he knows I'm no chef.  Honestly, the recipes in there didn't look too difficult and you really can't go wrong if you're starting with mac and cheese!
I'm in my 10th or 11th week right now so I'm really glad I'm almost through the first trimester.  I noticed this morning that my boobs didn't seem to be as sore as they have been normally, although I may just be building a pain tolerance.  I have more energy, so I'm once again wearing makeup to work.  However, I HAVE to be in bed before ten in order to function, and really I start to look longingly toward the bedroom at about nine pm.  That Saturday night that I went to dinner and a movie with Kesha and Velia was officially my last hurrah.  The movie didn't even start until 9:45 and I pre-emptively told Kesha that if I fell asleep in the movie not to wake me up.  I was able to stay awake through the whole thing but I know that that will be the last time for a long time that I'm up after ten on purpose.

Oh right, and can someone explain to me why I can't pinpoint exactly how far along I am?  According to my LMP (that's last menstrual period - drove me nuts until I figured it out), I'm 11 weeks and one day.  However, when I went to the doctor on Sept. 8th and had my ultrasound, according to their calculations I'm only ten weeks and four days today.  I mean, I don't really care as the due date is just a guess no matter what, and it's only a four day difference, but still.  As long as my little Nugget stays in there cooking until Tax Day next year, I don't care when he or she gets here.  Take your sweet time, little baby.  Don't go anywhere till you feel like it!

I've gotten other baby gifts as well - of the physical kind.  Besides the sore boobies, I can get bloa-ted!  Dude, look!




So that's me at five and seven weeks, respectively.  I had very lofty goals of taking the same picture, standing in the same spot, on the same day wearing the same clothes so I could really chart my growth.  Yeah right.  I usually only remember right before it's time to go to bed which is why I'm always in my pjs.  Plus there wasn't much to see in those weeks, but check out nine and ten weeks!



That's not even baby yet, that's just bloating!  Can you believe it!  Crazy huh.  Right now the baby is the size of a lime and will double in size in the next few weeks and the boy/girl bits are being formed although you can't tell yet exactly what they are.  But even though the baby is that small, it's already pushing around my insides.  I don't know if it's real or not, but sometimes I swear I get out of breath just walking from one side of the house to the other.  If I eat a couple of big meals instead of several smaller ones I totally pay for it and the only thing I can do to relieve the discomfort is to slowly walk around until I've begun to digest my food and there is space for me to breathe again.  Smaller meals is the way to go - it only takes one time to feel like what you just ate is going to come right back up your esophagus to learn, let me tell ya.  I don't think it's heartburn but it totally feels like I'm stuffing an already backed-up tube and it is not fun.

And unfortunately, I've begun to break out again.  I have hormonal acne and it had finally begun to settle down, thanks to my apple cider vinegar and a reduction in my stress level.  I thought I might escape pregnancy ance but no such luck.  I have a couple of real winners on my chin right now as well as this thing on the side of my face.  It showed up shortly after I found out I was pregnant and hasn't gone away yet.  It's just a weird dry patch but it's kind of pale in the middle and if I wasn't pregnant and hormonal, I'd swear it was ringworm.  That's what it kind of looks like!  I plan to call a dermatologist and have it checked out just to make sure it isn't.  How do you even get ringworm anyway?  Shit, I better go google it.

Anyway, so my baby daddy (he hates it when I call him that) is the greatest and my little Nugget is already making him/herself known and we start our first round of childbirthing classes at the end of October!  We have to bring pillows and everything!  I'm kind of excited to see how Drew's going to handle it all - I'm sure he'll be a champ.  He forwarded an email to me today with some information about a birthday party we're going to and in the conversation thread I saw he had told his friend that we're expecting.  Seeing his words "I'm going to be a father!" totally brought tears to my eyes. 

He's going to be a great dad.


2 comments:

  1. I can't believe that's bloat! The human body is amazing, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are some great gift ideas. I would love to get something like this. What a surprise.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin