Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Sharing is caring - I guess.

Do you see this nonsense?  Look at that time stamp. Right now it is 3:22 in the morning -- AM -- still dark outside -- why am I awake??  I was having this incredibly vivid dream about working at The Grand Lux because I ate there on Sunday.  I was working there to put myself through nursing school, and in the middle of my dream this voice came over a loudspeaker and was like, Desiree get up!  You need to write, you need to clean the kitchen and you should shower and paint your toenails!  That was at two in the morning.  I was tossing and turning, desperately trying to fall asleep again when I was attacked by the strongest thirst in the world.  I could feel my mouth drying and collapsing in on itself like the Bitter Beer Face dude. *Note:  I found a picture on Google Images but I'm not actually posting it because it's really disturbing and it's already weird that I'm up at this hour.


Anyway, I got up and drank three glasses of water to quench my thirst and then I had to pee and then the dog was like, Oh we're up now!  Cool!  Where's my chewie?  I have to pee too!  Let's play!  So that's it - I'm up now.  And I have to write.  And when I'm done with that, I will clean the kitchen, then shower and then paint my toes.  This is so weird.


Saturday, Drew took me to see Alice in Wonderland at the IMAX 3-D.  I'd been bugging him to take me, except I hadn't said anything that day.  Of his own accord, he was like Alice in Wonderland is playing at 1:40 at the IMAX, so you should start getting ready so we can get there early.  I was impressed!  Usually I'm the one who comes up with the idea and does the searching and Drew just comes along, so this was a real treat.  I felt like we were going on a mini-date!


We got there early, but it was still packed and we didn't get the choice seats right in the middle of the theater.  I had gone in ahead of Drew so he could get some popcorn and a soda.  I usually give him a really hard time for drinking soda, but I was so tickled at being on a mini-date that I let it slide.  I found some decent seats next to a little girl and her dad.  She was about five and so tiny that she could sit cross-legged in the seat and not touch the sides.  She reminded me a lot of my cousin in Kansas City and she was so stinkin cute I wanted to scoop her into my lap and make her laugh.


Drew came in a little later and along with his popcorn and nasty soda, he had gotten me fruit snacks!!!  Without me even asking!!! I don't have much of a sweet tooth and I try to eat really healthy, but I will TEAR UP some fruit snacks!  
Nom nom nom nom!  Me likey da fruit snacks!

Fruit snacks are usually a movie-only treat.  I won't buy them because I know I will eat an entire box on the way home from the grocery store, so I was so super tickled that he'd gotten them for me!  Since we'd arrived early, we had time to kill and for some reason Drew and I were kind of giggly. I'm sure it was the fruit snacks.
I do love a man in glasses.
How can my head be that small and my forehead be that big?

I noticed the little girl next to me had also put her glasses on and was silently begging to have her picture taken too.  Drew even said I should take her picture but I didn't feel right taking a picture of a kid I didn't know but I didn't want her to feel like we were ignoring her.  So I turned and started talking to her.  Mistake.

The kid?  The stinkin cute kid that I wanted to scoop up?  The kid that was making my uterus hurt?  That stinkin kid was eyeing my fruit snacks.

I seriously considered asking Drew if we could move seats because I didn't want to share my fruit snacks but the theater was full and they had already come in and done the thing where they ask you to move to the center so we were practically trapped.  And that dumb ol kid already had stirred up that mommy thing in me.  Punk.  I sat there for about a minute, debating the evil-ness of not sharing your fruit snacks with a stinkin cute kid.  It was a battle y'all!  I love fruit snacks!  I practically never get to eat them!  I almost got up and went to buy one for her just so I wouldn't have to share.

But I didn't.  After that intense minute-long internal battle, where I reasoned that being a mother means sacrificing, that I'm doing a good deed, that maybe the little girl would remember the nice lady in the movies who shared her beloved fruit snacks, I went ahead and decided to share with her.  But she was going to work for them, by god! 

Me:  So do you know what this says?
Her:  No.
Me:  Well, how bout we sound it out.  What's this letter?
Her:  That's an 'I'.
Me: That's right!  This word is kind of tricky.  This next letter you don't really pronounce so we'll just slide right over this one.  What's this letter?
Her:  That's an 'L.'
Me:  Exactly!

We sounded out the letters for 'Island Fruits', which is only the best kind of fruit snacks EVER!  When she read the words, I was like And for that you get an Island Fruit!  After making sure her dad was okay with it, I gave her one of my fruit snacks.  I was going to give her just the one, but then I couldn't 'cause she was so stinkin cute.  I ended up sharing the whole package with her, finishing them just as the movie started.  I did feel good about it but why couldn't the kid have liked popcorn?  Drew had a big ol tub of it and he was just sitting there, happily eating it all by himself.  

Not having to share with anyone.  

Punk.


4 comments:

  1. LMBO!!!! This story was hilarious. I love (loathe) how kids have that way of letting you know they want something that you have without even saying a word.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOLOLOLOL you are too damn FUNNY lmao I TOTALLY relate, always praying that the snack I love everybody else hates. And the stinkin' cuteness - that kid was straight up trifling, children KNOW when they've got you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. Adorable post. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your house for a moment just to watch the giggly antics of your relationship.

    Alice and Wonderland in IMAX sounds like a wholly scary experience; I really think I'd need a shot of whisky before venturing into that one. And FRUIT SNACKS? Wow. Who knew they could cause such hubbub. For me, it wouldn't be fruit snacks, but layered-butter popcorn or something chocolaty/peanutbuttery like mini butterfingers or even milkduds. Fruit snacks are pretty healthy in comparison. (aren't they?) so you should really be able to eat a ton of them and feel good about yourself. (shouldn't you?)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OK. Adorable post. I'd love to be a fly on the wall in your house for a moment just to watch the giggly antics of your relationship.

    Alice and Wonderland in IMAX sounds like a wholly scary experience; I really think I'd need a shot of whisky before venturing into that one. And FRUIT SNACKS? Wow. Who knew they could cause such hubbub. For me, it wouldn't be fruit snacks, but layered-butter popcorn or something chocolaty/peanutbuttery like mini butterfingers or even milkduds. Fruit snacks are pretty healthy in comparison. (aren't they?) so you should really be able to eat a ton of them and feel good about yourself. (shouldn't you?)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin