Tuesday, August 24, 2010

It's like they know that I know that they know!

I didn't meet my goal of sewing anything this weekend but it was because Drew was home and husband-time always trumps any other activity.  We had a great Saturday, going to see two movies in one day!  I haven't done that since I was a kid, and I didn't usually pay for the second movie (shh, don't tell.)  We saw The Other Guys which was cute little fluff, had lunch at a great Turkish restaurant and went back to see Salt.  I had higher hopes for Salt, namely Angelina Jolie's Russian-speaking abilities.  I won't spoil the movie but she speaks Russian in it, and she does it very poorly.  I love languages, I speak two foreign languages and my ears are always open for an accent.  I die for foreign accents!  Thus, I was very disappointed that she basically mumbled her way through her Russian lines.  Liev Shcrieber though?  He did awesome!  I actually was able to pick out a couple of his words, thanks to the similarities between Russian and French and that just put a big ol smile on my face!


But that's not the point of this post!  I'm freaking out y'all!  Last week I was on the Get it Girl blog and she wrote about rugs and how she found an identical rug on Overstock for just over a third of the price of one at Nieman's.  I've been wanting a new rug for our living room because the one we have is dark and I'm dying for some light in there and I really liked the rug she featured.  I also want to sew new, lighter pillow covers for our throw pillows on the sofa - we have too much brown in there!  ANYWAY, I really liked the rug and I clicked over to Overstock to check out the sizes and prices. 
 The rug in question.
Image courtesy Get It Girl Style

Imagine my surprise when I'm on the computer today checking out my celebrity gossip and there's an ad for the exact same rug I was looking at!  It's like they know!!  I mean, I know that there's some goblin in my computer recording every site I visit and showing me the corresponding ads but this just creeped me out!
I was looking at those other rugs too!

You know, I'm so glad that I keep my nose clean and I don't conspire to do illegal things because honestly, someone with a strong enough computer and enough know-how could find out whatever they wanted about you!  My rug example is so minor compared to how much information is floating around out there.  I mean, really there's not a lot you can do about it because we're only human and if a human devises a way to protect themselves, another human will come along and find a way around that.  I guess the only hope you really have is that you're boring enough and poor enough that no one wants to bother with you.

Which means I have nothing to worry about!

You had to know that was going to happen right?

7 comments:

  1. LOL - you crack me up Desiree! LOVE the old school video! Funny thing is I just downloaded the "Geicko" commercial version of this song to my phone last night as a ringtone! Seems fitting that I put the ringtone to your number :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Every time I look at new shoes on zappos (which is way more frequently than I should), those shoes pop up later on my other important searches, such as "Kate Gosselin's vacation" or "Jennifer Aniston's sunglasses". I know you are a YHL fan too, and that's where I heard about overstock for good rug prices. They have a section on their blog about rugs. Last thing, Liev Schreiber does a great accent in Defiance, where he plays a Russian!

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks for the link love...it happens to me to all the time...i agree with you 100%..nothing is secret..WE ARE ALL BEING WATCHED...LOL...funny, but sad at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. this has happened to me as well. very creepy.

    p.s. i didn't find out til last year that mj is the person singing the hook on this song. very tardy for the party of me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has happened to me as well with Overstock, it is creepy. You get used to it though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I saw this at the bottom of the last post. I have that rug in my dining room! Awesome! And yes, Overstock has stalked me non-stop ever since WITH THE SAME RUG.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This has happened to me as well with Overstock, it is creepy. You get used to it though.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin