Monday, August 30, 2010

Passion

Drew and I had the most fabulous Sunday, wanna know what we did?  We woke up, ate breakfast, and went back to bed.  We got up to eat lunch, did the dishes and a load of laundry and went back to bed.  We got up, I took him to the airport, came home and did my hair and I was in bed by nine.  It was beautiful!  There is nothing better than to spend the day in bed, nothing.  


So it may come as a shock (I know it is to me) that for the past month and a half I have been teaching yoga at 6am every MONDAY morning.  That means my alarm is set for 4:50AM so I can get to the studio and set everything up in time for class.  Just looking at that time makes me sleepy.  But you know what?  I couldn't be happier.


Only those who are hard-core at something come to a yoga class at six in the morning on a Monday.  A mere mortal might be able to psych themselves up for a Wednesday, possibly a Thursday but Monday?!?!  Oh no, that's for those who are hardcore about life.  And my students are regulars!  These aren't just the ones who one time, on a whim went to bed early and are in class.  They come in every Monday, without fail, here for what I'm giving them and I'm humbled.  


When I took over for Julie, I knew I had big shoes to fill.  Not only is she an incredible instructor, she's a super sweet person who genuinely cares about her students.  I had fifteen people in the first class I taught because they were expecting Julie.  I could see that they were sizing me up, wondering if I would be as good as her, if I would give them that easy excuse to hit snooze and catch a class on Tuesday or maybe skip the whole morning-yoga thing.  My second week teaching I only had seven people in class, as I expected.  I wasn't upset by it, as this is totally normal whenever there's an instructor change.  I knew I'd have to prove myself and I was okay with that.


This morning I had fifteen people in class - in my class.  I'm on the schedule, I've been teaching for a while, they knew I'd be there.  And they came for me.  Now, I don't take that lightly.  I'm the start to the work week, even for those who don't leave the house to work.  Even if you're home all day, that's still work and you've got to get your mind right.  I totally see myself as the final prep, the last one you see before you step on the battlefield that is your office, your houseful of kids, your spouse, whatever.  I set the tone for the week and I take my job very seriously, offering tools that will help get you through the week with your sanity intact.


Some days I waver.  That first day of teaching I was so nervous, I stuttered, my sequences were off, my message wasn't there and I was sure I was going to hear from the director of the studio that they no longer needed me to teach.  But today?  TODAY?  Today I was there!  I was the teacher!  I gave to my students and they received!  I felt it!  Me and those fifteen people worked it out at six this morning!  They were sweating, wobbly, some had to sit out for a few breaths and I was right there with them, encouraging them, telling them how fantastic they were doing and I meant it.  And these are not 20-year olds sweating out their hangovers.  Miss Theresa is in her mid-50s, so is Mr. Ray.  Charlie's brand new to yoga and his dedication and awkwardness reminds me of a little baby just learning to walk.  And of course he's a guy so sometimes I go whisper to him that it's okay to back off, we've got next week and you just know that next week he's going to be better because you can see it in his eyes.  Now, Miss Lisa is in her 20s and she has a beautiful practice.  Sometimes I go whisper in her ear to offer intensifications that she's ready for and it's pure joy to see her try and then get it!  I never force and I'm always conscious of my role as a guide.  This isn't my class, it's theirs - it's their body, their breath and I'm just an honored guest.


And what an honor!  To be in that room with them, sweaty, wobbly, and smiling at six in the morning on a Monday!  No lie y'all, I was so proud of them I got a little lump in my throat.  At the end of class today, I looked around the room and thanked them for the honor of starting their week with them.  I told them that they were worth getting out of bed for and I meant it.  It's a struggle to get my body working that early but something happens when I'm with them.  I get lifted, energized and I just want to give all that back and today, I'm pretty sure I did.


I love my class!

8 comments:

  1. Man, I wish I lived closer to a yoga studio. I've only tried it once in a professional setting and it was amazing! I just tried my TTC yoga DVD for the first time this morning. It was okay, but it's hard for me to be as focused and intense when I'm not in a classroom with others. Way to go for sticking at it on those Monday mornings at 6am!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried yoga a couple times... I saw that it was something that I could really like. I didn't go enough to get really into it, and I would rather get really into it at an actual studio, instead of a big gym. There is a yoga dvd in P90X, and while it is way different from what I would do at a studio, it has given me the chance to get into it a little more. I want to find a good yoga studio near me so badly!! And I want an instructor that is as passionate about it as you!!! I SOOO admire that! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this post and that you have found something to do to make you feel better.... seriously, I mean that. You are truly happy now and it comes out in your words. I'm happy for you, chica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My mother has been a yoga teacher for thirty years. Needless to say, I resisted yoga for years, but now I see it really helps with my stress. I hope to start taking classes again in a next week.

    Love the blog btw.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My warmest congratulations! There's nothing, nothing more rewarding than this: seeing your children or pupils or students or customers coming back, asking for more, receiving what you give them as you give them! I don't have the exact words to express what i want, I only remember pupils' eyes twinkling when understanding, the voice of a customer when satisfied, the whole sunny faces of my kids when finding with me whatever they need...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an inspiring post! I'm so glad you are feeling yourself fully in the teacher role, and it sounds like your students are feeling it too. Accepting that role and living it makes all the difference!

    Even after teaching for seven years (eek!), I still get nervous when I sub for other people, but once I can take that deep breath and remind myself, "They're here for yoga, not for me, and I know how to give them yoga," then I relax and offer them a class that comes from the heart... instead of from nerves!

    Yay for you!

    xoxo,
    tanja

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it's awesome that you're teaching yoga. It's such a great feeling to be able to affect lives with something so beneficial. And on a Monday of all days! Wow! Now that takes dedication.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's awesome that you're teaching yoga. It's such a great feeling to be able to affect lives with something so beneficial. And on a Monday of all days! Wow! Now that takes dedication.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin