Monday, August 2, 2010

Winter in July

When I left Dallas, it was 104 degrees outside.  That is fry an egg on your head weather, and it suits me just fine.  I would much rather be hot than cold - cold weather is not my friend, I believe I've mentioned that once or twice - maybe three or four times.  My point is, the fact that I'm not a cold weather person is not new information.  Nothing has changed, I have not suddenly developed an immunity to the cold, I haven't magically figured out a way to not be cold and I still haven't learned how to be good sport about it.


Packing was a bit of a challenge for me.  I'd checked the weather in San Fran and although I saw that the high would be 58 degrees the day we'd be there, somehow that didn't compute.  In Dallas, where going to the mailbox requires a change of clothes, I just couldn't fathom how cold 58 degrees would feel to me.  I thought I'd be okay with some long-sleeved shirts and maybe a light jacket.  After all, 58 is almost 60!  60 is nice weather and I was sure I'd be fine.


Dear readers, learn from me.  When you live on the surface of the sun, 58 degrees isn't a welcome change.  You don't breathe a sigh of comfort.  That shock to your system makes 58 degrees feel like fifteen degrees!  It didn't really hit me when I arrived because I was never really outside - I followed the driver through the underground parking straight into the car.  I didn't even get it when we went to dinner because getting in and out of the taxi was the extent of my outside time.


But the next morning when we had to walk three long blocks to the car rental place?  In the wind, which makes everything colder?  Oh yeah, I got it.  I actually saw people in scarves and gloves.  In July!  And I was jealous!  I had no idea and I wasn't prepared.


Unfortunately, I go from zero to bitch with a stiff breeze so needless to say the walk over wasn't pleasant.  I was annoyed that I felt like I'd made the wrong choice, that I should have said yes when Drew asked me if I wanted to stay at the hotel while he got the car.  The wife that I aspire to be would have put her head down, kept her mouth shut and thought warm thoughts.  The wife that I am gave him an earful when he had the audacity to ask me how I was doing.  "Really?  Please don't act brand new.  You know I can't stand cold weather and I'm doing the best that I can.  No, I'm not blaming you for the way I packed so knock it off.  I don't know why you're so upset with me, it's not like I'm just now springing this on you!  Let's just keep going, there's no sense in getting a taxi now."  


We finally arrived at the car rental place and it was warm!  I felt myself thawing and feeling bad for snapping at him.  Once in the comfy car with the heated seats on high, I apologized.  I should have brought my wool turtleneck, I realize that now.  I should have brought boots instead of sandals - it's not like I don't own cold-weather clothes.  However, it just didn't compute and I had to make do with what I had.  Thankfully we'd be in Sonoma and Napa the rest of the time which would be much warmer.


For breakfast, we went to Mama's, which was around the corner from Drew's old apartment.  It's super popular with amazing food which explained the line out the door and up the street.  Outside - in the cold. 

The line was pretty long and Drew asked if I wanted to pass.  Unfortunately, I was starving by that time and didn't want to drive to another spot, look for parking and wait longer.  I put on the happiest face I could muster and braved the wind.  Plus, I was trying to be a good sport and not annoy him further.
The man is part werewolf
I wore a sweater tank, a cardigan, a wrap jacket and a pashmina-type wrap
and I felt like I was naked
Thank the baby Jesus, the time went by quickly thanks to the friends that we made in line.  There was a couple in front of us and I hit it off with the wife, who was as ill-prepared for the cold as I was.  Her husband travels for business too and she'd come down from Portland to spend time with him.  The two of us left the men to stand in line and we went to a coffee shop across the street for a couple of soy chai lattes.


Talking with her did so much to lift my mood - she'd been married for sixteen years, had four kids and for that brief moment, we bonded over our warm drinks.  She was remarkably easy to talk to and I found myself cracking a smile for the first time that day.  When we made our way back to the restaurant, I was much happier.
Trying to take some of his body heat

Once inside, I had crab benedict, which is my go-to breakfast dish.  If eggs benedict is on the menu, then it will soon be in my belly!  Drew teases me all the time for liking egg-covered eggs.  Breakfast was wonderful and the wait was totally worth it, even though in the back of my mind I was wondering if I could swipe someone's coat from the back of their chair.  


As we left, we drove right over the Golden Gate bridge!  I know nothing of geography or the city and I was excited to get that close - from the comfort of the car and the heated seats.
That fog is no joke! I can't believe this is summer!
On the approach
I'm such a tourist

Even though it was day two of our vacation and we were still bickering, I wanted to believe that it was going to get better.  I was still upset about the fact that we weren't going to try for a baby and that hadn't yet lost its sting, but I still had hope that things were going to be okay.  

The road to Petaluma

7 comments:

  1. I do not like the cold either. I hate being cold, and nothing makes me bitchier than being cold.
    I have a space heater underneath my desk, so that I'm warmer, while everyone else is nice and cold with the AC. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. too bad you went from hell to the SNOW! *sheesh* (i know not really, but that kinda jump, it may as well have been. We haven't seen 58 degrees since MARCH!) poor thing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ariel - I'm so glad I'm not the only one and a space heater sounds wonderful! Thankfully they're not horrible with the AC at the new job, but I still bring a sweater just in case!

    Ro - Not on topic but it was so great meeting you this weekend! Apparently, there were shenanigans that I missed! I hope you got pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You make me smile. :) Glad you had a good time on vacation... even if you did get hypothermia!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I cannot fathom that weather!!!

    You manage to make friends everywhere- that is a great attribute, doll! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great pictures chica. The restaurant sounds wonderful and I've always wanted to see the bridge. Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I go from zero to bitch with a stiff breeze..." I love that! Me too. But I like to think it only happens when I've got low blood sugar. (It's not true, but I like to think it anyway.) :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin