Monday, August 16, 2010

Jeremy Jordan

Okay, I have a confession.  I forgot my camera at home so I can't write about how I finished my sewing room (I hope y'all like it!) and how I have a bone to pick with those that spoke up about my curtains.  Why, you might ask?  Because, like a junkie, all weekend I kept looking and looking at my curtains and finally I gave in, like a junkie, and took some of your advice to make the curtains not droop.  Much, MUCH cursing ensued.  I'm so serious, y'all are lucky I don't have your home phone numbers - I was using quite colorful language because apparently the cornice is made of CONCRETE or something on the left side.  But I'll tell you more about that later.


So I was cleaning out my trunk just after I got my big-girl car and I found a box with random stuff in it.  Sifting through it I found a cassette tape insert of Jeremy Jordan.  I'm already starting to sweat with embarrassment but we're all friends here right?  Anyway, I used to have his tape and with that, I have confirmed that I am indeed 100% middle-aged.  I had the biggest crush on Jeremy Jordan and knew all the words to his songs so I went looking on YouTube and look what I found!   
And yes, I just watched that and sang all the words by heart.  Y'all remember that phase?  That white-boy-as-soul-singer phase?  Who else did that?  I'm drawing a blank right now.


I think Jeremy Jordan is my most embarrassing musical crush although I am a child of the 80s.  Can you believe that at one point I was into hair bands?  I had a poster of Def Leppard above my bed (it went nicely with my Cabbage Patch Kids curtains and bedspread) and I knew all the words to "Pour Some Sugar on Me."  Guns n Roses "November Rain" was my song and I totally had a top hat like Slash and I would brush my hair out to look like his.  And you simply have to include Poison's "Every Rose has its Thorn."  I think I actually cried to that song once.


Once I grew out of that phase I discovered hip-hop and I that's when I found Salt-n-Pepa and the giant gold door-knocker earrings.  I was so mad at mom for not letting me cut my hair short and dye it blonde and shave one side.  
Incidentally, she had to shave her head because of a bad relaxer.
And I totally had that outfit.


Then came all the crushes on Bell Biv Devoe, or BBD to their true fans, Boyz II Men and Shai, OMG SHAI!!
Was it a rule that that all singing must be shirtless?
And yes, I just sang all the words.


I'm so old I can't remember if I had a tape or a CD of Shai - remember for a time they would put out both in case you weren't as technologically advanced?  Or the boomboxes that had both a CD and a tape player?  I had one of those in my bedroom too.

NKTOB?  Anyone?  Anyone?  Don't lie!!

I knew that dance too - I did it all the time but you had to be careful swinging your legs like that on the living room carpet because if you get too enthusiastic you could slip and fall in front your friends.  Not that I know anything about that.  


All right, I refuse to stand alone in this!  So spill - who is your most embarrassing musical crush? What songs do you still know by heart?  Don't leave me hanging y'all!

15 comments:

  1. Bryan Adams.
    Nelson- Gunner and Matthew. I thought Gunner was cuter, for some reason...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember all of your phases!!!! I have some funny memories of them too. Do you remember riding around in Andy Edson's convertible sitting on the back singing Salt N' Peppa? I think we were trying to get people to come to some fundraiser car wash. We were tards.

    Ok - here are my embarrassing crushes:
    1) The Nelson brothers... well Matthew not Gunner. But still I was in L-O-V-E with them. I saw them in concert 3 times and had pictures all over my room. The horror.
    2) Joey Lawrence (loved him on Blossum and then he came out with that song... Nothing My Love Can't Fix... ya look that up.
    3) Chad Allen (was a tv guy)... I wasn't his type... I think he has come out as being gay.


    P.S. I still love the hair bands. So I can't jack on you about that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. wwwwooowwww I am GUILTY! NKOTB was a serious part of my childhood. And I lived for that GNR's November Rain video. And I can't leave out Jodeci, Paula Abdul & Samantha Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband and I may or may not bust out with AND IF I EEEEHHH from Shai at random times for no reason at all.

    I may or may not have had posters of Immature and their Just For Me hair plastered all over my walls.

    This wasn't exactly childhood but...Spice Girls.

    *slinks back into the shadows*

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am much, much older than Earth itself, so...does Modern Talking mean anything to anyone?

    I was 15 and my brother, 17 at the time, generously accepted to take me with him at the birthday of one of his friends, I was having a crush on that boy (and today I don't remember his name...) Anyway, I was dancing with Him on "You're a woman, I'm a man", when I twirled too energically, slipped out of his hand and fell so ungraciously, flashing my very innocent and high waist white briefs in front of everyone.

    End of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jon B- Girl quit playing, I know you remember him!!! lol. Why do I have this Jeremey Jordan song playing really loud on my speakers at home now. That's a feel good song. Geez, I feel old now. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Bring back the memories...seriously, love it. First, I love that Jeremy Jordan video and the hot girls with the mom jeans.

    My crushes: Joe from NKOTB (still so sad that we never did get married and have 8 kids I used to dream about) and Kirk Cameron.

    I do still know all of the NKOTB songs. Unfortunately, I have not gone to one of their latest shows, just too embarrassing to show up and admit to it. Hmmm.... "I'll will be loving you forever...."

    ReplyDelete
  8. Remember when they featured Jeremy Jordan on 90210?!

    Shai was def. up there along with Heavy D, cassette singles, no less. Right before them though, George Michael was hanging in my bedroom....

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my gosh! how funny! remember when milli vanilli was cool? i used to LOVE their songs. those were some great songs, fakery notwithstanding.

    and was i the only one that had a list of songs that i would try to "dub" off the radio? i remember getting pissed when the DJs would talk over the ending of the song. memories *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  10. oh my gosh! how funny! remember when milli vanilli was cool? i used to LOVE their songs. those were some great songs, fakery notwithstanding.

    and was i the only one that had a list of songs that i would try to "dub" off the radio? i remember getting pissed when the DJs would talk over the ending of the song. memories *smile*

    ReplyDelete
  11. My husband and I may or may not bust out with AND IF I EEEEHHH from Shai at random times for no reason at all.

    I may or may not have had posters of Immature and their Just For Me hair plastered all over my walls.

    This wasn't exactly childhood but...Spice Girls.

    *slinks back into the shadows*

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  12. I remember all of your phases!!!! I have some funny memories of them too. Do you remember riding around in Andy Edson's convertible sitting on the back singing Salt N' Peppa? I think we were trying to get people to come to some fundraiser car wash. We were tards.

    Ok - here are my embarrassing crushes:
    1) The Nelson brothers... well Matthew not Gunner. But still I was in L-O-V-E with them. I saw them in concert 3 times and had pictures all over my room. The horror.
    2) Joey Lawrence (loved him on Blossum and then he came out with that song... Nothing My Love Can't Fix... ya look that up.
    3) Chad Allen (was a tv guy)... I wasn't his type... I think he has come out as being gay.


    P.S. I still love the hair bands. So I can't jack on you about that. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. wwwwooowwww I am GUILTY! NKOTB was a serious part of my childhood. And I lived for that GNR's November Rain video. And I can't leave out Jodeci, Paula Abdul & Samantha Fox.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin