Friday, December 10, 2010

Babymooning

The envelopes are stuffed, the phone list is updated and I've even decorated the office!  My duties are done and now I'm writing!  These fools better not bother me anymore today.....


About a month ago I got a flight itinerary in my email.  Drew sends them to me all the time so I didn't think much of it - I was too busy crying (for real) that we had no apple juice in the house.  When he arrived home that night and asked me if I'd read the email, I was clueless.  And that's why I'm keeping Drew - just when I'm at my wits end and there's no hope in sight, he goes and does something nice like surprising me with a trip to Key West.  Yeah, he can stay.


The flight to Miami was uneventful, although Agent S knew something was up.  As soon as the plane started rumbling, she started thumping me like crazy.  One took me way off guard and I actually let out an *ooh!*  The guy next to me looked at me funny so then I had to explain that I wasn't some weird Tourette's person, it was just my baby kicking me.  It felt weird saying it - even though I'm showing I still feel apprehensive about pointing out my pregnancy.  It's like I don't want anyone else to acknowledge it because they might jinx it and it'll go away.  Don't get me wrong, I'm happy but it's a constant adjustment.  The kicks are getting stronger, fewer clothes fit, the hormones, oh jeezus the hormones!  But I digress.
Flying into Miami
Catching the flight to Key West brought back all kinds of memories

We safely landed and Key West was just what I imagined and just what we needed.  It's a very cute little town, with lots of beautiful plantation-style houses and the weather was just right.  Drew met me at the taxi, sober this time!  We're already starting off great!

As usual, the room was amazing.
We had a little living room!
I got to use this jacuzzi this time!
Last time Drew filled it with hot water and I didn't want to be wasteful dumping it out
but this time we filled it with lukewarm water and it was heavenly!

And the view!
Gorgeous!
Love it!
Sunset from the bedroom window - fabulous!
Even when the cruise ships docked outside our window, it was still cool!

Our hotel was right next to Mallory Square, where every evening at sunset they have a celebration.  People gather at the pier to take a picture of the sunset and everyone claps as the sun goes down - it reminded me of Orfeu Negro where he has to play to make the sun rise - maybe we had to clap to give the sun a good send-off.  (The little girl at 8:42 makes me wonder if that's what my daughter will look like - I'm starting to 'see' her everywhere.)

Mallory Square had lots of artists selling their wares, from hand-painted pictures of Key West, to beach photos and sand candles and handmade jewelery.  There were tightrope walkers, jugglers and we had to sample the conch fritters which were delicious.  I didn't get a lot of pictures because I preferred to simply be in the moment with Drew but there was one I couldn't resist.
Priceless! 

Key West definitely has a strong hippie, laid-back, island-living vibe that forces you to slow down and take a deep breath.  Pair that with the 305 eating and drinking establishments in a 2x4 mile island and you've got a perfect recipe for never going to work again.  I loved it!

We made it an early night because I'd traveled all day and Drew worked all day but we already had our activity planned for the morning - snorkeling!

9 comments:

  1. the view!!! I'm adding Key West to our "places we must visit" list right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah looks absolutely beautiful!! I am so happy for you!! How far along are you again!? I am so glad things are looking up and you had a fabulous BABYMOON!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Desiree, I just discovered your blog and I am reading through the archives and I love it! You are so honest about your relationship and your pregnancy journey. And I'm so grateful. I read some of your stuff and I think: yeah! yeah! exactly like that. And it is soo good to know you not alone in your experiences...if that makes sense (probably not, hence I am not a writer ;-) But thank you! Key West looks like it was wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful & the trip started off on a good note! SCORE :) Can't wait for the rest of the story & please put in a pic of you & your baby bump while you are at it! We are long overdue...

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad the trip started off well! So cute that Drew surprised you with the trip! Such beautiful views! Can't wait to hear about the rest of it!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh that tub has me REALLY jealous now! So nice!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I know this is completely off topic but had to leave you a comment! My daughter and you have the same hair. Help me please. Her pictures are on my blog at www.airforce-wife-life.com and I'd love to have your input on how to take care of it without ruining her beautiful curls. Please and Thank You!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What an absolutely awesome hubby!!!! Geez, he is great! The pictures look amazing, I know you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What an absolutely awesome hubby!!!! Geez, he is great! The pictures look amazing, I know you guys had a great time.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin