Friday, December 17, 2010

If you could see me now

I hatehatehate that I left my camera at home today because you have GOT to see how I look!  Say it with me now:  HOT. DAMN. MESS.  Wait, my boss just left for the day, let me see what I can do with my phone.  I'm sure Jana will help me!
No makeup, ratty ass hair, jeans too long.
And I'm the first thing people see when they come to our office.
Whatchu know about some compression hose?
I'm making do with the Walgreen's brand until
my fancy ones come in.
Yeah, I could probably stand up straight and arrange myself 
all pretty and strike a pose but it's way more fun this way.

I'm kind of glad my mom doesn't regularly read my blog because she would be all Desiree!  I can't believe you, girl!  At least put on some blush!  And stand up straight, my goodness!  You look like a Ubangie!  I never knew what a Ubangie was but that's her favorite catch-all word.

But this was the best I could do.  I didn't twist my hair after I washed it so it's kind of stringy looking.  And I taught yoga last night so it's kind of fuzzy.  And I chose to sleep instead of put makeup on this morning.  And now I'm questioning whether or not I should have taken and posted those pictures, but I have integrity and I will not take this down just because I don't look like Miss America.
.........

But I WILL dig up an old picture to soothe myself - that's not against the rules.  And now I'm mad again because the site won't let me copy the picture.  All right, I'll just find another one.
Talk about a throwback!
I think I was 26 or 27 and I had braces so my sexy pout was a little jacked.

Okay, I feel better now.  I was there once, I will get there again.  I've only gained 13 pounds so far, and while everyone says you blow up like a beached whale in your last trimester, I'm confident that whatever weight I gain I will be able to lose it in a healthy manner.  Besides, Agent S has strict instructions, along with all of her other instructions:  Whatever you bring, you are to take with you when you leave.  All the water weight, the saddlebags, the extra blood - take it with you when you leave, chick!  I sure as hell don't need it!  She just kicked me.  I'm taking that to mean Okay Mom!  Will do!

Thankfully, with the exception of the belly, my body is still recognizable - I mean, if you don't count the giant black National Geographic Africa nipples - where in the Hell did those come from?  I often stand naked in front of the mirror and just look at myself.  My body is changing and preparing and it's happening on a daily basis!  I'm amazed at what my body is doing and I'm proud.  And yeah, it sounds really crunchy and granola and hippie but I'm so proud to be a woman.  I'm so proud to have the strength to have gone through loss and heartache and pain to have the honor of standing here now, being allowed to participate in this experience.  It's pretty damn cool.  Okay, enough of that.

*coming down from female empowerment land*

Side note:  Our office supply guy stopped in yesterday to give us our thanks-for-your-business Christmas candy.  I asked him what they were doing for Christmas and he said it was his twin boys' first Christmas.  I was all awww and then we chatted more and then I said I was pregnant and then he was all awww.  I asked if twins ran in his family and he said no, they did IVF.  Four tries.  And I know looks mean nothing, but this guy is gorgeous.  Fit, tan, great personality, loves his wife - he talks about her all the time.  He's the type of guy you look at and just know that he's got it all.  But I saw the flicker of pain in his eyes when he talked about the testing and failures but then came the joy when he talked about his boys.  Then I ended up telling him about me and our troubles and we totally bonded over our struggles to become parents.  It was a bittersweet moment and it just reminded me that we all have our struggles, we all have our burdens and we're all just trying to bear them with grace.  And sometimes we get a reprieve from the pain and we get to turn our faces to the sun and for that I'm so very thankful.

Now, as thankful as I am I do have a bit of a pressing problem:  My clothes don't fit!  I've never had this much trouble dressing myself and as impressed with my changing body as I am, I highly doubt that anyone else cares to behold my womanly girth in all its naked glory.  

However, I'm not too surprised.  My shoes and clothes are not very accommodating - I have lots of shoes, and I think 80% of them are  3- and 4-inch heels, which means I can't wear 80% of my shoes.  The majority of my closet is fitted, tailored, hugs-the-curves type stuff because flowy stuff always got on my nerves.  I'm not really a ruffles and lace kind of girl and I don't understand the point of extra fabric.  I prefer pencil skirts over full ones, fitted shirts over poet blouses, and anything 'slim cut.'  Unfortunately, this means I can no longer wear about 90% of my closet.  The result of that is the above picture.  Not the bikini one.  Higher up.  The hot mess one.  

I'm strugglin y'all.  

I've been studying All Things G&D for maternity fashion advice because I'm super clueless and I'm really trying not to spend a ton of money on maternity clothes.  I'd like to get regular clothes in larger sizes as opposed to full out maternity wear so I can get some wear out of it once Agent S is on the outside.  So in order to avoid more incidences like today, I'm biting the bullet and going shopping tomorrow to get some respectable clothing.  

Because this shit is ridiculous.  I seriously can't believe I left the house like this today.  And then took pictures and wrote about it and put it up on the web for everyone to see.

That's a mess. 

16 comments:

  1. I love the pics. LOL Too funny! I think 13 lbs is great for being 6 months! Good work lady! You're still hot! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honey, you are gorgeous... Always. (Even when I know it's the hormones yelling)...

    I'm good with the natural, no make-up, no fuss look on just about every occasion: kind of simple like that. However, we need to talk about the hunched over look in picture 3. Reminds me of that high-school teacher (mine was 8th grade English) that wore her belt WAY up under her boobs hiding either 1) the fact that she wore depends or adult diapers, 2) she soiled herself - often or 3) something that didn't need to be photographed and left out where the public could view it... you know you all had a teacher like this in high-school!!!

    Apologize to any 8th Grade English Teachers following this blog! I know you were not my teacher...

    Clothes: all your clothes are still 'fitted', it's just a new mommy-to-be 'fitted', may not be a pencil skirt anymore, it's 'pencil on my skirt'. You are supporting a new trend.

    You are lovely just how you are: mommy, wife and yes, a HOT MESS...

    ReplyDelete
  3. AHHH what a sweetie Drew (The Hubs) just was!! What a sweet comment!! And really..You make any outfit look hot..get it girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you'll like the real compression hose much better than Walgreens brand!

    I'd suggest getting a few good-fitting maternity items (especially pants); that way, you can still get a nice trim fit instead of having pants or shirts that are too big everywhere except the belly. Maybe 2-3 pairs of nice pants & jeans and a few nice fitted tops. And they'll do you well in that weird postpartum transition stage when you still have a belly (but no baby), enough of one at least to make "normal" clothes fit & feel weird. I stay away from maternity sweaters because they stretch out too much and look baggy...I just wear normal, long sweaters and they look fine.

    I gained about 26 lbs each time and would lose about 12-13 right away. Then the rest of the weight came off about 5-6 months postpartum. Just all of a sudden, without me doing anything different. I guess that's just how my body reacts to having a baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hot mess indeed - always :) Loved the post, the pics, the honesty...loved everything about it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you been to Destination Maternity? They have 3 different lines in there, so you could stick with the inexpensive stuff or splurge on the gorgeous higher end line that I just stare at. Not sure what the weather is like there, but my standby outfit has been sweater dresses/tunics with leggings and boots. It looks put-together, but is so much more comfortable than pants (my worst enemy right now).

    The good thing about all of this (besides a child of our own at the end) is that people give you an excuse for anything right now. Even if pregnancy is not at all the cause for me "forgetting" to change out of uggs and into dress shoes, they enjoy chalking it up to "pregnancy brain".

    Have fun shopping for some new clothes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Now THAT is a good man! Declaring his love for his Hot Mess looking (in her words)woman for all the world to read.

    Incidentally, buying cute clothes in a larger size is a do-able thing. I did that when I was pregnant because I hated the way maternity clothes looked. Although, that was many many moons ago so they may be more fashionable now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love hearing when fathers have pain when discussing fertility troubles (I know that sounds horrible) because I always feel like males are so clueless and wouldn't understand and won't try to understand so I'm always sparkly impressed when a dad "gets it".

    Yay for Drew's sweet comment.

    How do you feel about leggings with longer sweaters? I somehow feel that you are shaking your head with a O_O face but my cousin lived in leggings and tunic length tops for her pregnancy because she refused to buy maternity clothes...BUT she gave birth in August so her 3rd trimester was during the hot months; if it was cold it may have been a different story.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  9. P.S. You look soooo different in the face in the bikini picture! Like Sade's younger sister.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You look beautiful!

    I get very wide "birthing" hips when I'm pregnant. I lost weight with my middle child, but considering his birth weight, I think he literally stole it all from me.

    I gained weight with my third. I'm just going to blame it being a third baby and leave it at that. Throw in our move and I really need to work out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh I love you lady!! And those compression hose! Love them!!

    And seriously - could your hubby be any more sweet?!? Love him too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. girl, you get a pass. i can't STAND those heffas that manage to look all cute while pregnant! LOL.

    if you get a bella band, you'll still be able to wear most of your pants. i would recommend getting maternity tops instead of just bigger sizes, because you don't want the "big circus tent" effect.

    places like target, marshall's and ross had some cute, fitted maternity tops that were pretty inexpensive.

    when i was preggo, i got super clumsy and had to break down and buy two pairs of flats in black and brown to go with my outfits. i got them from naturalizer and although i felt plain jane and homely,they were actually comfortable and decent looking shoes.

    i've got bad news for you about those stilletos: you may get lucky, but the feet of most of the chicas that i know (myself included) grew anywhere between a half size to a size during pregnancy.

    i have been able to get a couple of shoes stretched at the cobbler, but some of them are still just uncomfortable. :(

    ReplyDelete
  13. GIIIRRRRL, you look just as beautiful now as you did then. I'm gonna have your belly in the second pic after mine is born I PROMISE. I haven't had a belly like that since I was 10!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel the same way about maternity clothes! I hate them! I'm trying to buy as few as possible, but I really need to buy a coat. My belly is suffocating.

    Do compression tights prevent swellling? I'm trying to figure out ways to avoid going up a shoe size.

    ReplyDelete
  15. jewelsfrance@yahoo.comDecember 22, 2010 at 8:57 PM

    Gaining 13 pounds is not bad at all, you look cute, you are so funny loved the post. Your husband is sweet and supportive. When I was pregnant I bought regular clothes instead of maternity and it worked well because I could still wear them for a little while after I had my baby.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Honey, you are gorgeous... Always. (Even when I know it's the hormones yelling)...

    I'm good with the natural, no make-up, no fuss look on just about every occasion: kind of simple like that. However, we need to talk about the hunched over look in picture 3. Reminds me of that high-school teacher (mine was 8th grade English) that wore her belt WAY up under her boobs hiding either 1) the fact that she wore depends or adult diapers, 2) she soiled herself - often or 3) something that didn't need to be photographed and left out where the public could view it... you know you all had a teacher like this in high-school!!!

    Apologize to any 8th Grade English Teachers following this blog! I know you were not my teacher...

    Clothes: all your clothes are still 'fitted', it's just a new mommy-to-be 'fitted', may not be a pencil skirt anymore, it's 'pencil on my skirt'. You are supporting a new trend.

    You are lovely just how you are: mommy, wife and yes, a HOT MESS...

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin