Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Rent the runway - take 2

I've got some energy today!  Not much, but it's more than yesterday so it counts.  Even though I had to order my compression hose today and even though a lady in my office told me I really look pregnant today - not in the nice way - at least I've got some pep in my fingers for some storytelling.  And it's thanks to you once again!  You guys are my juice, my mojo and every time you leave me such beautiful thoughtful comments I just want to give you big squishy rib-crushing hugs.  But I'm totally calling you out GG!  How are you going to leave me the most awesome comment ever in the world and then not even have an email address so I can respond with the internet equivalent of a squishy hug!  Come on now!  I mean, unless you want to remain anonymous in which case that's totally fine by me.  I just want you to know how awesome you are, that's all.


Okay, SO!   Rent the Runway - it was a bust the last time.  The dresses were way too small and I ended up having to 'rent' a dress from Macy's at the last minute.  However, they were very prompt in issuing my refund and gave me 10% off my next order and apologized profusely, so I didn't hold a grudge.  If someone apologizes well, accept it and move the hell on.  Holding grudges makes you ugly.


And that's what I did.  With all forgiven, I went back to Rent the Runway to pick a dress for my office Christmas party that was last Saturday.  I had my eye on a particular dress and I learned from my past mistakes.  This time I chatted with their stylist and told her that I was pregnant and wanted to make sure that the dress I had my eye on was indeed 'bump friendly.' They've since changed their website and you can no longer copy pictures (I was going to give them credit!) and they no longer have a 'bump friendly' section.  You have to type 'bump friendly' into the search bar and it gives you their picks, some of which I'm positive a non-pregnant person chose.  But, they had the dress I wanted in my new, bigger size so I crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.


Once again, it arrived right on time and when I got home from work Friday night, I did a trial run.
There was a lot of fabric and it looked like a giant skirt.
I was surprised to find that this wasn't connected.
It didn't say that on the site and I didn't even think to ask - 
'so, does the dress require assembly?' 
I think the Christmas socks are what makes the outfit.
Okay fine, I'll ditch the socks and try it with my shoes.
While doing my best Dracula impression.
There might have been some Zorro impressions 
going on as well.  Hands down, this was the most FUN dress I've ever worn!
I'm just sayin
Okay, that's what it looked like for real. 
It was a little longer than the website would have you to believe,
but I was okay with that.

I wanted to do a smooth pompadour/ponytail type-thing, but I had cleaned the house from top to bottom all day Saturday and had no energy for hair so I did a messy ponytail, piled on the mostly pink makeup, threw on some hoop earrings and called it good.  I don't like messy updos of any kind, but I gave myself a pregnant pass.
My awesome co-worker Jana.  The room was super dark
and my camera super sucks.  Sorry bout that.
They had a photo booth complete with cheesy accessories.
I should have kept my Christmas socks - with the hat AND the socks
I would have been so money!!
Attempt #1 at a picture of us
#2
Come ON babe, DAMN!
Finally!

Drew was a total trooper - he'd just gotten home a couple of hours before and didn't really want to go.  He went straight to Vegas from Key West and hadn't been home for two weeks!  Poor thing, but he rallied and put on a pink shirt for me so we could look like we were going to prom.  I'd told everyone about him and I loved showing him off!  It was a lot of fun to see everyone out of their work clothes and having a good time and the hotel was so beautiful!  The food was good, the music was just cheesy enough and it was all very office-party appropriate.  We had a really great time and I had just enough energy to be social, although both of us slept super late the next day and my back and feet were KILLING me from my shoes!  I hobbled around most of the next day but it was totally worth it - I got tons of compliments on my dress AND my husband so it was a total success.

I don't have any more fancy events to go to while pregnant so I won't get to try RTR out again but maybe when I'm skinny again I'll try some of their regular dresses.  It really is a pretty sweet deal - as long as you ask tons of questions before renting!
  "Baby, take one more picture."
"Ugh, can't we just leave."
"Come ON, it's for my BLOG!"

16 comments:

  1. you look gorgeous and it's wonderful to see you so happy and having fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I'm so sorry!!!
    gethsemaneherron@gmail.com
    :)

    I think I'm going to try RTR. I'm a finalist in the Miss Cultura Beauty Pageant in my school and I need a cheap cheap cheap dress...I would use my one *cough cough* prom dress, but since I have starved at college, its too big. The things I'll do for $800 scholarship. RIP BooTAY

    2007-2009. You are sorely missed.

    Hope to hear from you mama :)
    G

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the dress - you look stunning in it!! I'm glad at least one dress worked out for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You're soo pregnant! (In a good way!) I love it! I've been following this blog for a while and everytime you post a pic of your progress, I can't help but to smile. I'm so happy for you! Cute dress too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Des!! OMgoodness!! You look so beautiful friend!!! And can I say that GG's comment had me all emotional too!! Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You look beautiful Desiree! Such a pretty color on you & very "bump friendly" :) Love the pics of you & Drew!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Look at your belly! Absolutely gorgeous friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my gosh, you are so beautiful! That is an awesomely fun dress and it looks fantastic on you. My office party is tomorrow night and I hope I look half as fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey there! You look beautiful and you and Drew look so happy! Aww made me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are stuntin in that dress! I love pic attempt #1, y'all look so radiant.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  11. You look absolutely gorgeous chica.. the pink is looking great on you and the hubby!!

    The dress totally hides the bump too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You looks very elegant...the dress fits you perfectly and the color is so pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I LOVE IT!! O-MY the color is perfect on you! I love that your having such a good time now! So happy for you!

    Also thanks for stopping by- seeing your comment made my day.. the randomness that is my life.

    XOXO

    Ro
    http://www.randomroro.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. :), you're so funny! you really had me laughing with pics 4-6.

    that was very nice of your hubby to wear a matching shirt. i call it the "will and jada".

    ReplyDelete
  15. jewelsfrance@yahoo.comDecember 20, 2010 at 6:10 PM

    You guys looked so happy, and I loved the dress and the shoes. Wait were those your wedding shoes? It was a little hard to tell, either way the shoes were totally cute.

    Julia

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! You look beautiful and you and Drew look so happy! Aww made me smile this morning.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin