Tuesday, December 28, 2010

My first mom outing

My emotions have been all over the place lately - not that I'm surprised.  We went to Kansas for Christmas and got back to Dallas Sunday night.  Leaving my family and walking in to my too-quiet house was more than I could bear and I just sat in the living room and cried.  I miss my family so much already.  Then this morning I was mad at Drew for daring to breathe, but as of right now I'm happy again because the baby shower is coming together!  We have the date, the place and time and even the decorations and activities are taking shape!  


I find myself hoping and praying that I get to go through with all of this - please Jesus.


But I'm getting so far ahead of myself and I have stories to tell!


Even though I have partially sworn off Facebook, I do find myself checking it occasionally.  And I have to admit, it does have its usefulness.  As long as you don't get sucked in to the drama, it is a good spot to find old friends, stay in touch with current friends and family and had I not checked in, I would have missed out on a great afternoon.  Facebook is not entirely the Devil.  There, I said it.


Just before we went home for Christmas, I saw that my friend Brandi was going to get together with another friend of ours that I hadn't seen since I lived in LA.  We'd all gone to high school together, we were all on Drill Team together but I lost touch with Khaliah when I moved back to Dallas.  It really was a shame because she is an amazing person and I've always admired her.  


So when I saw on Facebook that Brandi and Khaliah were planning to get together in KC, I promptly called Brandi and invited myself.  Brandi is so awesome that she didn't miss a beat in saying of course!  Call when you get in!  


We arrived in KC and I hit the ground running.  My cousin and I had an appointment with the lady making the cake for the baby shower first thing Thursday morning and then we were going to lunch with Brandi and Khaliah at........wait for it........


Chuck E. Cheese.


When Brandi suggested it, my first thought was why in the world would you want to go there?!?!  I keep forgetting that she has an almost 2-year old, as does Khaliah and going to a kid-friendly place is always the best call.  My first thought was someplace chic and hip and 'ladies-who-lunch' - Chuck E Cheese was nowhere on my radar.  Then again, I'm not a mom yet so my brain has yet to be rewired.  It's just that lunch with girlfriends has always included a bottle of wine somewhere in there, not a giant mechanical rat.  However, this is the world I'm entering.


The crazy thing is, I didn't mind!  My cousin has a 3 year-old and when her eyes lit up at the mention of Chuck E Cheese, that sealed the deal for me.  So after the cake tasting, it was off to eat pizza and play some games!


The last time I stepped foot in a CEC was almost ten years ago when I took my younger cousins when I lived in LA.  Before that, it was for my own birthday party - I think I was six.  Not too much had changed - there were still games, lights and kids running around, but instead of being annoyed I found myself looking around in wonder.  I looked at the moms, mentally putting myself in their place; I looked at the kids, at their faces and smiles - deliriously happy over riding the rides and playing the games and daydreaming about my own daughter laughing or being scared of the giant Chuck E Cheese.


Brandi and Khaliah arrived shortly after we did and I observed them in action.  The three of them were so smooth and efficient with their children and I wondered if I too would be able to encourage my child to eat one more bite of her pizza or hot dog before we go play games.  If my daughter would be as well-behaved as their daughters were.  And yes, if my kid would be as cute as theirs.
Graduation, 1994 (!)
Brandi is due with her second baby in May and
I made it!  Six months!  Third trimester here I come!
Drill team camp, 1993
The Seniors at camp - I'm so thankful Brandi shared these pictures with me!
What a difference time makes!
Since my baby isn't here yet, I hijacked my cousin's youngest 
so we could match.
The cutest baby cousins in the world!
We're still waiting for the little ones' hair to come in - 
our babies don't come with hair, so it's a slow process.
Why Facebook is not the Devil - because you can
steal the most adorable pictures in the world!
Bragging on my family - aren't they gorgeous!!

We chatted and reminisced amidst chasing after kids, changing diapers, getting them to eat and cheering when they made it down the kiddie slide and it was pretty awesome.  It was my first playdate, and while I didn't have a baby of my own to chase after, I'd still call it a success.  It was surreal, but in the best way possible.  I wasn't sure if I totally belonged there, but then I'd get a thump in my belly as if to say yes you do!  Soon enough, *I'm* going to slide down those slides and you're going to cheer for me!

Of course, I fully intend to return to my liquid lunches and stiletto heels as soon as possible - I may begin to embrace this new life but I see no reason to leave behind everything from the past!

Besides, I know I have a ways to go before I'm fully inducted into the Mommy Club because I couldn't handle The Scream Heard Round The World - wait till I tell you about that one! 

6 comments:

  1. Love the before/after pics. :) And giggling my head off at your "liquid lunch" comment. You, my friend, are going to get schooled by your little princess, and I can hardly wait to read about the adventures of Desiree the Mommy! :)
    Thanks for all of your support last week. You are always there for me, and I appreciate it so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw - I love getting together with old friends! It is awesome to see them, their kids & to see what kind of human being they have become! Glad you were able to experience all this :) And WOW - in the 3rd trimester!?! I can't believe it - already??? That is awesome Desiree - so very excited for you & you look absolutely adorable with your baby bump! When is your shower going to be? Will it be here in KC? That is something to look forward to for sure! Can't wait to go shopping for the little princess :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awww, it sounds like you had a great time!!!! You and the fam and friends look awesome!!!!

    I am hoping my disdain for the kiddie themed places decreases too. lol. Whenever my cousins have a party at one, I cringe, thinking of germs. :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you're not completely ruling out facebook. LOL :)

    So glad Chuck E Cheese went well! Can I just say how precious the baby bump is? Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was SOOOO good to see you!!! I just love the pic of us before and "a few years later". ;) You were always one of my very best friends growing up and I (for one) am grateful to FB for reuniting us! I had fun a CEC and I'm glad that you were open to the idea. I can't wait until your little one and my mini-me #2 is here so that they can play and slide down slides together! Can't wait to see you in February. If you are here before then, let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad you're not completely ruling out facebook. LOL :)

    So glad Chuck E Cheese went well! Can I just say how precious the baby bump is? Love it.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin