Friday, April 22, 2011

Birth Story: After Birth

Yes, I do have pictures of the placenta.  No, I won't show them to you - because I like you and because I understand that I'm probably the only one who is fascinated by my innards.  So how about a baby picture instead?
The day after she was born - could you just melt?

As soon as she came out, I felt immediate relief.  The placenta came out about five minutes after and I felt so much lighter!  All the pressure was gone and it felt so good!
I was very interested in the placenta.
Drew?  Not so much.

Overall, it looked good but my doctor showed me where there were calcifications - signs of aging and deterioration, even though I was only 39 weeks.  I wondered if the clotting disorders had anything to do with that - if even then they were trying to shut things down.  It made me feel that much better that Sofia was in my arms, safe and sound and wide awake.

We got skin to skin contact for over an hour immediately after birth - I was hoping for a few minutes at most and I was prepared to fight anyone who would try to take her away from me, but no one did.  They even waited a good five minutes before putting the hat on her so I got to fill up with her baby-head-smell.  They even left her on my chest while the doctor stitched me up - I had a small vaginal tear but my perineum was intact!  Tearing was my second biggest fear and to come out intact?  I was ecstatic!

Because she was so alert, she started rooting right away.  She found my breast with minimal help and chomped down like nobody's business!  It hurt so bad but I was just glad that she appeared to know what she was doing.  I'm so proud to say that she is a breastfeeding champion and she's back to her birth weight at only 11 days!  Gah, I'm already the bragging mom - sorry about that.

We stayed in the delivery room for over an hour until they finally moved us to the post-partum room.  The nurses there had already heard about us - "We heard you were a trooper!  No epidural?!"  I was shocked - gossip travels fast I guess.

So - a word about that.  I wasn't trying to be a hero or a natural birth vigilante.  Even though I was ready to fight stand up for myself, it was purely for psychological reasons, not because I had something to prove.  I knew I wouldn't be able to mentally get past a needle in my spine and have any body part of mine being numb, Hypnobabies or not.  I have a thing about being able to feel my feet and I knew that if I couldn't I would fixate on that, my labor probably would have stalled and it probably would have gone south because I wouldn't have been able to get in the right headspace.  I know myself - I had to feel it all, that was the only way I was going to get through it. 

They took her for the tests and things while we got settled.  I was surprised at how sore I was. I genuinely thought that a vaginal delivery with no major tears would enable me to dance and sing right after birth.  Not so!  I was ridiculously swollen and unbelievably sore.  And guess what else?  I got a hemorrhoid from pushing!  You haven't lived until you're bent over in the mirror, ass up, trying to apply hemorrhoid cream.  Thankfully, it went away on its own but that definitely caught me by surprise.

We stayed in the hospital until Wednesday and I'm so glad we did.  I bombarded the nursery nurses with questions and I had two visits with the hospital lactation consultants.  I'd watched a ton of breastfeeding videos but every baby is different so you can't know how it will turn out until the baby is actually there.  Sofia has an amazingly strong suck reflex and vice-like jaws so those first couple of days were agony.  I also had a couple of home visits and I think we've worked out most of the kinks.  Nearly everyone remarked at how well she was doing and how alert she was - like they weren't used to seeing an epidural-free baby, which maybe they hadn't in a while, who knows?  I'm just glad she was healthy and here.

The day after she was born, the hospital photographer came in to take pictures.
Sofia, one day old
She came out with nails and got herself a couple of times, poor baby.
The proud uncle

I am forever indebted to my brother.  He caught everything on film and video - everything.  He was the only family member in the delivery room from start to finish.  We definitely didn't plan on it - after all, he is my baby brother and it was super intense, but once he was there, he just didn't leave.  He took all of these pictures and videos and I am so incredibly grateful to him.

He told me later that taking those pictures and witnessing his niece's birth was the most important thing he's ever done.  I'm so grateful to him and I'm so thankful he hung in there.  For not being prepared to witness his first birth, he did amazing.  He did have to leave the room a few times, but he always came back.  I'm so very very thankful to him.
Aaaaand, back to the baby
Sofia, two days old

Soon enough, it was time to go home.  I was thankful to have had the two days in the hospital but I was ready to leave.  Laying in bed for two days straight was almost as painful as trying to get up and around and if I was going to be in pain, I'd just as soon be in my own house.
First carseat ride - she wanted no part of it.

Thankfully, once the car started moving she calmed down pretty quickly.  Then I started crying.  

I'd just had a baby. 

And I was getting to take her home.  

She was mine - I did it and now I get to take her home.  I didn't stop crying the whole way home and walking up the steps with her was the most happily emotional moment of my life.
Coming home from Desiree on Vimeo.

Welcome home, Sofia.

37 comments:

  1. I love all of these pictures of the little missy! :) And that stork - SO CUTE! EEK! So amazing! :) I have said this 70 bazillion times by now, but I'll say it again...

    I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!! EEK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah I love it! Love it. So many things I want to comment on. Let me see...

    --So glad nursing is going so well. It can be such a pain in the butt at first, but it's SO amazing and the bond? AH. I could cry thinking about my 11 months of nursing (and cry at the fact that my daughter weaned her self b/c I swear I would have nursed till she was 12. Kidding. Sort of.) Anyway. You're making me miss it....even after only two weeks since The Quit.

    --You will be SO GRATEFUL to have this all on video/photos, etc. They grow too stinking fast, and you'll adore these photos even more later one.

    --The after-baby "down there" swollen area? Um. Yea. That shocked me. I was in the shower with the nurse all "WTF IS GOING ON DOWN THERE?" but yea. It DID go through some major ish. you know.

    Loved your birth story! You are gorgeous! and so is that baby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You guys are a beautiful family. Sofia is a doll, and yes brother did an awesome job, I'm sure he and Sofia will always have a special bond. I am so loving this birth story, thanks again for sharing with us. I love you guys!

    Bee

    ReplyDelete
  4. This totally brought tears to my eyes! I'm soooo happy for you guys and I'm so happy all your prayers (and ours) were answered with a complication free delivery and healthy baby girl. You rock for a natural birth! Absolutely beautiful baby girl :)

    Welcome baby Sofia!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ok, I am so glad you are sharing. I'm over here teary eyed! I'm so happy for you! Sofia is simply beautiful! I will now look forward to seeing her pics as she continues to grow! Love the stork!! If that is not the cutest thing! Again, I'm so happy for you! And you are giving me hope, the whole idea of child birth terrifies me, but you give me hope lol! Blessings to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a beautiful baby! Again I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. INcredible story!! Placenta picture is so funny...poor Drew.

    Your baby girl is gorgeous...and so are you...you brag about that little girl all you want Mommy!!

    Continued blessings to your little family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was tearing up reading this and seeing the amazing video of Sofia coming home. I'm so happy for you and your family!! And yes, don't ever stop bragging on your baby--she's amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Have I said this yet? She is just BEAUTIFUL! You'll have to beat the boys away, and I'm not just saying that. She is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I just have so many thoughts that I don't know where to start.
    First of all, saw your parents at the movies last night and they just BEAM when Sofia is mentioned. It is very cute. :)
    Clint---that boy was in awe of the whole experience. He fb'd a lot, and it was clear that he had a new love. So precious to see.

    And that video of you guys bringing her home? It made me cry. It took so long to get you to that point, but you made it! God is so good! And that child....Desiree, she is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats to all of you.
    Love you so much, C.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous pictures!!

    It's so wonderful that your little brother was able to witness the whole birth. In your birth video, I loved watching him be so careful to get the video just right wand watching him take all of the pictures. He was so...rapt and attentive. My little brother hasn't seen me give birth in person, but he's gotten really into birth & breastfeeding stuff, watched my birth videos, etc. He can totally talk the birth talk with his friends who are expecting (he's 23) and he even sewed one of his friends a sling! Anyway I love little brothers :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ps--love the new picture of the 3 of you in the field of flowers! I keep thinking "how on earth can they be wearing shorts!?!" and then I remember that I am way further north than you are. (Further? farther? I always forget which is the right one.)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congratulations again - I'm so happy for you and am loving the posts.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I knew you'd make me cry. Oh wow, she is just so precious. I'm so happy for you!!! Yay for your brother capturing the memories on video & pics.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Crying a little, this is so gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is the most precious thing I've ever seen. Ms. Sofia is GORGEOUS and I'm just so happy for you!! Love, love, love that picture of Drew and Sofia--that needs to be framed and go in a place of honor in the house immediately lol!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is such a sweet story! I've been following your blog for a while, but just decided to comment today.

    I'm so happy that you and your husband finally have a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Congratulations! She is gorgeous! This post is right one time. I went into early labor on Tuesday and had my daughter, Mariah on Wednesday at 1:30 a.m. I got home yesterday and I'm finally sneaking a peek at blogs before I take nap. I HAD to check out yours for the remainder of your birth story.

    I was naive too about all the pain after delivery. I really thought I would just bounce back. (As I sit here with a fresh ice pack between my legs.) I wish Mariah was good at latching on. Because she was born early she is having some problems so I am supplementing with formula. I really hope Mariah and I can figure it out together. I'm going to have to follow up with a laction consultant and/or mommy group for help.

    Again, congratulations! Hopefully, I'll get around to posting a birth story on my blog soon :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Sofia is BEAUTIFUL Desiree!! What a wonderful birth story. Very cool that your brother was able to capture it all on camera and video for you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great story. Thanks for sharing. She is a very lucky baby to have such a loving family to come home to! FYI, I ave had 4 babies, 2 w/ epi. 2 w/out and my epi. Babies were more alert and turtle heady than the others, interesting observation.

    Contgrats. Enjoy every second!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  21. I just love it! Everything about this story. And we just can't thank you enough for sharing it with us D!

    ReplyDelete
  22. She is jus a beautiful baby! I can't get enough of the pictures. Congrats again!!! And what a wonderful gift you had in your brother being able to document your first child's birth so thoroughly through video and pictures! You will really appreciate this even more than you do now when she gets older and the memory of her birth isn't as vivid as it is now. I WISH I had those pictures and video from my babies but neither of my husband's were willing to do that (MAJOR FROWN).

    Lucky girl! :) Keep the pictures coming!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Visiting your birth posts over and over :-)

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  24. Sofia is breath taking and this will increase over time, I know how impossible that sounds but trust me it will happen.

    I love, love, love the picture of Drew and Sofia, now that is the look of love. You three make a beautiful family. I shed a tear or two or three watching the welcome home video, the journey it took to get to this point.

    I'm honored and happy to be a tiny part of the journey, gives me something to look forward to when we start trying for a baby within the next year. Who knows I may start a blog to detail the journey, if I'm courageous enough.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Could she be any more perfect. Probably not. I am SO delighted for you. You deserve this joy, and she deserves parents like you who will love her no matter what.

    Praise God for you and all the things that He is doing in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That video is so sweet! I love how candid you and your husband are in sharing details of thaq beautiful baby, chica.

    Your brother is the absolute sweetest too.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a beautiful sweet baby! Congrats and good job!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love your birth story. It is amazing.

    Congratulations, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. I've been reading your amazing journey to Sofia after Rixa posted the links to your birth story. Thank you for sharing so honestly with your readers!
    Congratulations on the arrival of your precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've been reading your amazing journey to Sofia after Rixa posted the links to your birth story. Thank you for sharing so honestly with your readers!
    Congratulations on the arrival of your precious little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I love your birth story. It is amazing.

    Congratulations, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. This is such a sweet story! I've been following your blog for a while, but just decided to comment today.

    I'm so happy that you and your husband finally have a beautiful baby!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I just have so many thoughts that I don't know where to start.
    First of all, saw your parents at the movies last night and they just BEAM when Sofia is mentioned. It is very cute. :)
    Clint---that boy was in awe of the whole experience. He fb'd a lot, and it was clear that he had a new love. So precious to see.

    And that video of you guys bringing her home? It made me cry. It took so long to get you to that point, but you made it! God is so good! And that child....Desiree, she is BEAUTIFUL! Congrats to all of you.
    Love you so much, C.

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a beautiful baby! Again I'm so happy for you.

    ReplyDelete
  35. I love all of these pictures of the little missy! :) And that stork - SO CUTE! EEK! So amazing! :) I have said this 70 bazillion times by now, but I'll say it again...

    I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!! EEK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  36. I also found this through Rixa links. I am a labor and delivery RN and midwife. I have seen many babies in my day. (30 years of labor and delivery work) I think Sofia is one of the prettiest babies ever. Just thought I'd tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Aw, thank you so much! You're so kind! :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin