Monday, April 18, 2011

Birth Story: Suck Ball City

I did it!  I figured out a way to type and tend to the baby!  A few pillows, the sound machine and we're in business!


Okay, so I'm about to tell my birth story.


Holy crap, I'm about to tell my birth story.


The one where *I* have a kid.  Me.  Desiree.


After 39 weeks and 2 days of ups and downs, tears and fights, varicose veins and peeing 50,000 times a day, it's my turn to tell my story.


Wow.


*God, Desiree, get on with it already.*


What?  Oh.  Right.  Sorry.


Okay!  Here we go!


Oh wait, can I show you my kid first?
Five days old and she's already changed so much.

won't lie - things with Drew and I were really tense those last few days.  We were at the finish line and we were both scared to have come this far and be so close to the prize, so naturally we were all kinds of snapping at each other.  Drew really wanted to continue trying for a natural induction and while I did too, a part of me just wanted to just sit and breathe in silence.  One day, I took a walk and had a good cry and told Sofia not to mind all this, that if she would just come out and be healthy things will be so much better, that I really did love her daddy and we were all just scared.  I had a couple of contractions in response and thought that maybe right then she would come on out.  But nothing happened and I went home.  That was Friday.

My parents and brother arrived in Dallas Saturday afternoon.  Drew's parents had arrived the Thursday before so we were all assembled for the big show.  My brother is a great photographer and videographer and I asked him to document every possible thing.  It was the best thing I ever did and we have over 800 pictures and about 20 videos of the whole process.  I've watched the birth video over and over again and I still can't believe that was me - I had a baby.

 I also can't believe how big I got.

We all hung out Saturday, and Sunday morning Drew and I went to breakfast alone.  I felt such a strong sense of urgency about this being our last few hours of just us and I didn't want it to simply pass us by.
Last brunch as a party of two.

I had to go to the hospital at 7pm Sunday night so we all went out to dinner beforehand.  It didn't seem real - it felt like any other family dinner, with us talking about random things, remarking on the mix-up with the appetizers, all totally mundane.  Of course, that may have had something to do with me snapping at everyone to stop acting like this was my last meal on Earth, like I was going to the guillotine or something.  That might have had a little to do with it.
Heading to the restaurant.
39 weeks, 2 days
Two grandpas
The Uncle
The Dad and The Grandma
The Mom and the other Grandma
I wanted to see how it felt to try on these new titles.
It feels like I'm talking about someone else, especially when I refer
to myself as the Mom.

Soon enough, dinner was over and there was nothing left to do but get this party started.
Outside the hospital
All right, we're here!  
Setting up shop in our room

Okay, now the nitty-gritty!  THE INDUCTION.  DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUN  Showtime!

The hospital gown was on the bed, but I politely refused when my nurse offered them to me, telling her I had my own clothes.  Score one for me -  wearing my own clothes!

Yeah, but minus about a kabillion for the mother-effing Cervidil.

Even though I came in at two centimeters dilated and 100% effaced, the Cervidil is supposed to help with further dilation so in it went.

They SAY Cervidil is like a pill with a string attached, like a tampon.  IT IS NOT.

Tampons have applicators, allowing for smooth pain-free insertion.  Cervidil has no such applicator - it must be inserted manually and that is NOT fun.  Additionally, it stings - again, to help with dilation.  

My nurse was as gentle as can be, but there's no getting around the suck that is Cervidil.  It felt flat and I felt the edges sliding it in as she pushed it all the way up by my cervix.  Suck-Ball City.  Then came the external fetal monitors - that I had to wear all night long.  I didn't know that - I thought they'd get a reading and then take them off.  No such luck.
Untitled from Desiree on Vimeo.


The anesthesiologist came to my room in the middle of the night and asked me a bunch of questions - why do they do that? As if 11:30 at night is the best time to be asking my medical history!  Anyway, he was like whenever you want your epidural, just let me know.  I mumbled mm-hmm and closed my eyes, even though I didn't get much sleep that night because of the dumb belts and the fact that I knew what was coming.

The PITOCIN.  DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUNNN

So far, I'd gotten to wear my own clothes, I had the lights low, I was playing my own music, my family was allowed in the room so it didn't really feel like I was going to have a baby.  Even though the belts told me I was having contractions, I didn't feel anything so it still wasn't real.  But I knew the Pitocin would make things super real and I wasn't looking forward to it.

However, whether I liked it or not 7am was coming in all its IV-filled Pitocin-y glory.

I tried not to think about it.

Pretend this picture isn't here.  This was actually in the recovery room - Drew
pointed that out to me.  You can tell by all the water that was within my reach.

28 comments:

  1. I still havenotmastered typing with a baby -- I admire you! Can't wait to hear the rest of the story -- sounds good so far! Ah, I do covet your "in front of the hospital photo". I meant to do that but forgot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that scared me for a second in front of the hospital. I thought you'd taken to a cane to get around. *lol* It's just your suitcase handle. Love what I'm reading so far. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats new mom! ur baby looks like a little bundle of heaven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hooray!! Can't wait to hear the rest. She is a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. !!!!!!!!
    I have a friend who once wrote in a poem
    That the most gangsta sh*T he had ever seen
    was a woman giving birth.

    Congratulations.
    YOU ARE A GANGSTA!

    ReplyDelete
  6. First pic - precious.
    First video - adorable.

    Can't wait for the rest of the story :)

    xoxo - H

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh i love your voice! I'm sure that's a really odd thing to say, but whatever. I said it. Can't wait to read the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Can't wait to hear the rest.... Congratulations, Sofia is very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had to wear that belt for 2 nights straight! I hated it. So I feel your pain there.

    I couldn't use the computer for a good 2 months when jasmine was 1st born. You're good! Lol

    Sofia is so precious! I love sleeping baby pics. They warm my heart.

    Now. . . Get on with the story woman! Lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. A dramatic cliffhanger, luv it. I'm suprised Sofia isn't rocking her signature color. hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need more! This is all happening to me in 2 days unless mine decides to come on her own! Except, bonus, my doc mentioned something about a "balloon to get things started". Ahhh! I am going to just focus on the pic of Sofia instead of the rest...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Waiting here with bated breath for your stories... So happy you have that beautiful girl in your arms. Keep them comin' sister!

    PS. I have that same yoga mat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait for the rest of the story!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey, no fair leaving off just as the story is beginning! Even though I know how it ends :) Can't wait for the rest of it.

    I love Sofia's little scrunched up newborn body.

    ReplyDelete
  15. OMG! You're a mommy! With a birth story! EEK! Now get on with the story! LOL I want to hear! :)

    And let me just tell you - the family video was PRECIOUS!!! My eyes welled up a little. So cute. EEK! You're such a hot mommy. LOL I love the hair ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness the cervadil is the worst thing ever. My doctor was so rough and it hurt like hell. Being induced is so weird, like checking in and just waiting for things to happen! Congrats on your baby girl she is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Like the rest, I can't wait to hear the rest of "your" birth story. I am overwhelmed with joy for you and Drew! And you have the sweetest voice ever! A voice of an angel which I'm sure will bring much comfort to little Sofia.

    Congratulations Mommy!
    Virna Lisa

    P.S. Not sure why it won't let me leave a comment from my google account, so I keep having to leave them as "anonymous"

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww I can't wait to the hear the rest of the story!

    I'll be 37 weeks this Thursday and I'm so anxious. I think the experience will feel so surreal and I'll ask myself it is reallly happening.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great pictures and breakdown! Your videos brought back memories for sure! You handled it all like a champ! Still so excited for you, Drew and the rest of the family! :)

    Can't wait to hear the rest of your story and how you all (including Maya) are coping with the latest addition to the family.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Aww, thanks for sharing the video, it was so precious!

    Sitting up in the hospital you are still looking fab and smiling and unbelievably calm!

    Sofia is sooo cute!!! I know the family is fawning over her!

    ReplyDelete
  21. How fun to have so many picture and videos to remember those last hours together. Way cool!

    ReplyDelete
  22. OMG she is soo cute!! Thanks so much for sharing. ive been looking forward to it! Cant wait for part 2 (3 4?!! lol)

    xoxo

    RO

    ReplyDelete
  23. I was so excited to see this post! yay!

    It actually made me cry, happy tears of course. You are so cute along with your daughter!

    Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  24. @Bee - Oh don't worry, all that is coming soon enough!

    @Virna Lisa - Thank you so much and I'm sorry that my blog is being dumb. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ahhh! This is so sweet! Definitely tearing up at work reading this. :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh my goodness the cervadil is the worst thing ever. My doctor was so rough and it hurt like hell. Being induced is so weird, like checking in and just waiting for things to happen! Congrats on your baby girl she is a doll!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Can't wait to hear the rest.... Congratulations, Sofia is very pretty!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Hooray!! Can't wait to hear the rest. She is a beauty!!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin