Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Birth Story: The Mirror

Sofia has contracted don'tputmedown disease.  The only cure is aboobinthemouth and walkingaroundnonstop so it's been a very eventful day.  Thankfully, Drew is on walkingaroundnonstop duty so I can finish my story.  


Part 1            Part 2

The following happened between 3 and 4:54pm.


That first no-water contraction felt like I'd been body-slammed by one of those giant barbells from American Gladiator.  My whole upper body slammed back on the bed, that had been moved to an upright position by this point.  Gone were the vocalizations, the happy place swaying, the changing positions - it was time to do work.  I was glued to the bed and there would be no more moving.
Angie brought out the birthing bar but I very quickly 
determined I didn't like it, preferring the handlebars 
at my sides.

What surprised me was that I nearly immediately felt the urge to push.  I'd always wondered what it felt like, if I would even feel it because I'd read that some women never felt the urge to push.

Well, I felt it and it is the Truth.
Push from Desiree on Vimeo.

There won't be as many videos this time because there were some money shots and while I don't mind keeping it real, I'm not down for that real.  Also, I was making some weird noises that made even me blush.

However, I did not curse!  Not once!  And y'all know me - I'll drop an F bomb like it's nothing.  Even I was surprised at myself when I was watching the videos!  I think that part may have impressed me the most (kidding - it was the no drugs part.)

That's not to say it didn't hurt, because oh my baby Jesus the pain.  The burning, the stretching, the PAIN.  You know how some women say they don't remember?  Boo-shit.  I remember everything and I'm not keen to do any of that again any time soon.
Pain
Pushing 
Feeble attempt at keeping the orifices open
Tiny bit of relief
And then more pain
You get the idea.

Now, even though I was in incredible pain I was still okay - wanna know why?  Because there was no cheerleading, no counting, no chin-to-chest, hold your breath, obnoxious purple pushing.  I just sat there until the urge took me over and I pushed until I didn't have the urge anymore.  Sometimes it was longer than 10 seconds, other times it was just for three or four.  It was perfect.  Oh, and pushing feels exactly like Rixa Freeze says it does.  That also surprised me - 'throwing down' describes it perfectly.  Think about your upchuck reflex in reverse and that's what the urge to push feels like.  

The only problem is that I didn't feel like I was doing anything.  I didn't feel connected to the pushing and I asked Angie a few times if I was even doing anything.  She reassured me that I was, but offered to bring out a mirror so I could see for myself.

Y'all.  The Mirror is what birthed my child.  Seeing her head, seeing myself stretch, combining that with what I felt and I think she came out in three pushes.  It was amazing.
Unfocused and unsure
First glimpse of The Mirror
More pain, but with laser focus now
Oh my god it's working, I see her head!
Oh good god, that's her gigantic enormous HEAD!!
One mighty push and the rest of her came right out

She came out all at once.  There was no pause between delivering the head and the rest of the body - she shot straight the hell out.  And it felt like a baby - not a bowling ball, not a football, not a watermelon.  I felt head, shoulders, arms and legs and it is by far the most amazing sensation in the world.  I felt it all and I'm so thankful for that.  She came out screaming at the top of her lungs, kind of like she is right now.  I need to wrap this up - her crying hurts my skin.
Sofia, about a minute old
Newborn baby head - nothing on Earth like it
We did it!
I'm a mother!
He's a father!
We're a family!

And that's how my daughter, Sofia Ines, was welcomed to this world.  There's more to the story but I have to go now - she's crying and I'm starting to cry.  I have to go to her.  

36 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. awww I love it! Congrats, it's the most amazing thing ever!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh wow Desiree. This is such a beautiful story. And it's YOURS! I'm so impressed by the no-drugs, no-swearing birth of Sofia. You looked beautiful the entire time and especially so in your own clothes and with Drew beside you the whole way. Thinking of it is making me tear up, in a very good way. I hope you are having great moments together as a family this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Most. Amazing. Birth-story. Ever.

    These last 3 posts have been the most beautiful thing I have ever read. I am in tears...

    SO very proud of you mama!

    xoxo - H

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I have read this post like five times!! It means more and more each time I read it. Thanks so much for sharing! And love the "party of 3" picture at the top!! Pretty sure I'll read parts 1-3 about 10 times again tomorrow on every work break! lol It gets better each time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are, by far, my FAVORITE birth story in pictures and words! I am just feeling tremendously blessed to even be welcomed to hear about your story and share in your happiness.

    You did it and did it well!

    Like Heather, the mirror part with the pushing had me on the verge, girl - and I am NOT an emotional person. And like Shunta, I think I've read ALL three parts AT LEAST 2x each. :)

    AMAZING. HAPPY. BLESSED. YOU ROCK.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BTW - Love your new "Party of three" profile pic in the bluebonnets! It's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a great birth story! i am so impressed and proud of you -- you had the drug-free vaginal birth you wanted!!! congratulations and lots and lots of love to all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are so funny! OK, I teared up too. This is better than any The Baby Story or Kardashian birth I've ever seen. Love that picture in the bluebonnets too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. OH MY....COMPLETELY AMAZING!

    THANKS FOR SHARING!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awesome! It definitely sounds like it was all you wished for! And the picture of the 3 of you is beautiful. Congratulations on it all!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looking at the pics and video of you pushing made the hairs on my arms stand up. (I scared! lol)

    Then, seeing the pics of you and Drew and Sofia made me tear up (no, it's my allergies).. .Geez, my hormones make me soft. lol

    ReplyDelete
  13. Absolutely beautiful! I never had the chance to have children and can no longer do so due to medical reasons. I mourn that loss daily. So I am incredibly thankful that you have shared this experience with your readers.

    YOU are an amazing woman and mother! Congratulations to you and Drew on becoming parents. The "party of three" is a beautiful picture. What a story, what a ride!

    Blessings!

    Virna Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Virna Lisa - Thank YOU for reading and sharing this journey with me. It means so much!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. SO happy for you guys. the emotion on your face in that last picture says it all. you've both been through so much to get your little lady here and she will be so loved.

    p.s. i love your picture in the bluebonnets, so dallas! i miss that, it's something you never see in houston, with all the concrete everywhere.

    congratulations again!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've heard that lots of women push more effectively when they can see what works and what doesn't. :)

    LOVE the new pic of the 3 of you in the sidebar!!

    Congrats on a healthy, beautiful little baby girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You did it, you did it, you did it!! I loved hearing Kerry's voice in the background lol, brings back memories. Congratulations again, she's so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yayayayay! Congratulations! She's beautiful! (at least what I can see of her!)

    Please email me your mailing address? Thanks :)

    theworldismyoyster@lookingformypearl.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ok Desiree you got me with this part. Sitting at work with tears in my eyes. I'm so glad you guys are a family. Its a beautiful thing. And really welcome to the club. The mommy club is an awesome place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Total Wetface over here!! and Big Ups (jamaican voice) to your photog! He/She caught everything perfectly!!!

    Im so proud of you and happy for you!!!

    Ok.. let me go fix my makeup.. THANKS.. now people think I have issues in the office. lol

    Awwww Sofia is here!!!

    xoxoxo

    Ro

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm literally tearing up! I don't know you guys but your birth story is truly wonderful & gives my hubby & I hope too =)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Great photo montage! And GREAT baby birthing skills! So proud of you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your story with videos is so raw, honest, and transparent. I'm so glad you choose to share this incredible journey. I admire your courage to stand up for the birth plan in your head versus taking the recommended route. You know any if your readers who are to become future mothers are going to want their own unquie birth plan, who am I kidding that's gonna be me. Way to go to you a.d Drew, you guys got her here safe. I can't congratulate you two enough.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I'm so happy that everything went perfectly for you. A birth in the hospital with Cervadil + Pitocin and whatever else they might throw at you doesn't have to have a certain outcome.

    Love the photos! Makes me rethink the idea of having a photographer in the room one day. All of your pictures still look pretty and model-ly though and I'm sure mine would just look nuts LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  25. OMG Desiree that is so beautiful. I am really truly, so happy for you. When I first "met" you you were praying for a baby and now you have the most beautiful little child! This is really an amazing story. Hubby and I are talking about children and seeing you so happy just makes it all the more real to me.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Did I really just tear up? I think so. What a great story! You all make a beautiful family. Congratulations :)

    V Renee

    ReplyDelete
  27. I love it, love it, love it!!!! Congratulations all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. i am so happy...posting on my fb..what a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Holy smokes! The photos of your face while birthing take my breath away. I feel more womanly, competent and awesome just looking at them!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Let's here it for mirrors, lol! I would LOVE to see your video and have it on my web site at: https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancyvideos/

    Please email me at birthvideos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  31. I just became a "Nana" for the first time. It's been 15 years since my own last birth (to my 5th child, naturally, at home, 9lbs 13 oz and her big brother, 11 lbs was born 8 years earlier at home)
    but I still remember the "high" you felt in those last few pictures. Nothing like it in the world. Good work! You should be very proud. Congratulations! You have a beautiful baby girl. God bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for sharing your beautiful story. Let's here it for mirrors, lol! I would LOVE to see your video and have it on my web site at: https://sites.google.com/site/pregnancyvideos/

    Please email me at birthvideos@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  33. I love it, love it, love it!!!! Congratulations all over again :)

    ReplyDelete
  34. Oh yayayayay! Congratulations! She's beautiful! (at least what I can see of her!)

    Please email me your mailing address? Thanks :)

    theworldismyoyster@lookingformypearl.com

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin