Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Countdown

Thank you all so much for your kind words of encouragement.  Even though I can't say that I've fully accepted reality, I'm closer than I was yesterday so at least there's that.  I'm behind on my emails but I will respond to everyone that I can - maybe I'll use my hospital time to get caught up.


People have been saying "there's still time!  You could go into labor before the 11th!" and for that I love and appreciate you.  I love that everyone cares enough about me to know how important this is to me and are doing their best to give me hope.  You guys are the greatest and I appreciate you so much.


However, I really just want to focus on being calm and feeling like I have to 'beat the clock' is definitely not the path to peace.  I know I could go into labor before the 11th but I'm not attaching myself to the idea because I know that if I do, I will be that much more upset if nothing happens by the 11th and I have to go ahead with the induction anyway.  I'm focusing on peace and calm and tranquility and acceptance of what is, not what might be or what I wish.  I must deal with what is.


I did absolutely nothing yesterday.  I sat down to my desk at 8:30 and I blinked and it was 5:30.  I couldn't focus on anything but the clock on my computer and all I could think was 'this time next week I'll probably be in labor.  This time next week I'll be pushing.  This time next week I'll be holding my baby' and I couldn't get any work done.  I still have to write up the document for my replacement to ensure that whoever takes my place can have a smooth transition and not make life hard for my boss and colleagues.  I still have thank-you notes to write.  But yesterday I couldn't do it.  Because I knew, I KNOW, when my daughter is coming and I couldn't think of anything else.


We are ready.
The Assault Stroller is assembled
Laying in wait, ready to roll over unsuspecting toes, 
prepared to ram innocent ankles.
Seriously, this thing is a beast!

The pack n play is assembled.
Drew's parents will be sleeping in the nursery while 
they're here with us, so the baby will sleep in our room.
The part of Sofia will be played by Lipschitz the monkey.
My friend got us this monkey the first time around and her 
husband thought that was Drew's last name and it stuck.

Hell, Drew is even getting push presents!
Between the new floors, the new landscaping and the new computer, 
you'd think *he* was the one having a baby.
He's nesting way more than I am.

My last day of work is tomorrow.  Drew's parents arrive tomorrow, mine arrive Saturday, I go to the hospital Sunday night and Monday she should be here.  Because of that, I didn't want to work a full week and feel like I had no time to breathe and simply absorb the magnitude of these last days.  I will never again have this experience.  Should I ever get to have another child, I will be just an incubator.  I won't have the chance to sit and meditate because I'm sure I'll be chasing after an active child day and night.  I will never again have a first child.  I will never again have the luxury of a semi-quiet house where I can be alone with my thoughts.  It will never again be like this - different of course, better maybe, but never again like this.  I feel that weight and I want to fall under it, I want to curl up and surround myself with it.  I really frickin need a cave right about now.


But there is still much to do.  I have to wash the sheets on the bed for Drew's parents.  I have to clean the toilets.  We have to pack our bags.  We have to figure out what we're packing in the bags.  I need to pick out her coming-home outfit.  I have to wash my hair.  I'd like to get a pedicure.  I want to be pretty when I meet my daughter.  After all, she's going to be a diva - she needs someone to show her the ropes and I can't do that looking a hot mess now can I?  


Most of all, I have to get my head around my hospital stay. 


I've never stayed overnight in a hospital.  I mean, not since I was a baby.  Of course, I'd planned to - after she was born.  The going in before she's born part is throwing me for a loop.  I really hope the nurses are nice to me because I'm already scared and my fear-coping method is to get bitchy.  I'm not perfect but it is what it is.  In preparation, I've been reading up on labor induction so I can familiarize myself with what exactly is going to happen and how I can best express my preferences within these new constraints because if I have to do this, I'm going to get educated and be involved and speak up for myself.  It's just that I can't stop thinking 'you buy the hospital ticket, you get the hospital ride' and I can't help but wonder if I'll be overpowered and outnumbered.  My doctor is on my side but she's not going to be there 24/7.  Maybe there should be some sort of way to screen everyone who comes into my room:  'are you a good witch or a bad witch?' 


I don't know what Drew's thinking or how he's feeling in these final days.  I sense that he's more comfortable with a solid date, that the uncertainty of spontaneous labor has been lifted and he's a little more at ease with concrete facts.  Of course, he too tells me that I could go on my own beforehand and doesn't understand why I can't entertain that thought and he gets exasperated and rolls his eyes at my 'negativity.'  I don't care to explain and I just try to shut it out.  If I figure out a way to split my energy between the desire to go into labor on my own and the need to accept an induction, he'll be the first to hear about it.  


We deal with things differently.  I don't know where his head is and I don't think he feels the weight like I do.  I think he's more concerned with money than anything else and I think he's still pretty scarred by our past.  I'm not sure what he's thinking and I guess that's all okay.  Maybe we're meant to share this journey but on parallel paths.


I just know that another day is almost over and I'm one day closer to the big show.

26 comments:

  1. Isn't the part where the monkey is just for the baby to be changed on? Thats what we used it for, anyway. Either way, you're SO CLOSE!! EEEK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just want to say HUGS and may your birth be beautiful.
    You will be a great mama!
    Keep us updated! We are cheering for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be thinking of you this week and especially on Sunday night and Monday. I hope you have a relaxing week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really get where you're coming from with focusing your energy on accepting the induction. I imagine that if you do go into labor before then, you'll handle it just fine. But if you focus all your energy on praying you'll go into labor in the next week and *don't*, it could be a whole lot harder to then face going into the hospital Sunday night for the induction.

    I'll be thinking about you. I hope that labor goes smoothly--however it starts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. She'll be here soon! I'm excited for it for you! Lol

    That pack n play will be your best friend. It came in so handy for me to not have to go very far to get baby when she woke up. It also kept her out of my bed lol.

    I'm glad you're trying you best to keep your cool. Its get best thing you can do for you and Sofia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whether she comes before, after or on April 11th, she is going to be the most amazing baby Dallas has ever seen. :) At least in my opinion. :)

    You keep yourself in serene-land. It's where you should be. Make sure to enjoy this time with Drew as much as you can. In a week it will never just be the two of you again!

    So excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. D - I am so very happy & excited for you! I can't believe this time next week she will be here! Craziness!!!

    Enjoy these last few days of "quiet" time & do whatever it is you want to do - by yourself. I will be thinking of you & praying for you & hoping everything goes the way you hoped it would.

    Oh & you better include Aunt HT on that list of people you send texts/pics to right after Miss S is born! I'm just sayin'....

    xoxo - HT

    ReplyDelete
  8. I so appreciate this post. I felt exactly the same about savoring the moment and the enormity of what is to come. It was all pretty overwheling.

    I was really surprised by how non-hospitally the labor and delivery and recovery areas were at my hospital. I never felt sick like a patient, and I did spend some time as a sick patient in the hospital a few years ago. I was a bit worried about returning to that mental place with birth but never did. I really really hope your hospital is similar to mine in this regard.

    Something you can do in your written birth plan is write down that you are scared and tend to get bitchy when you are scared. This would give all the nurses some heads up and they'll understand where you are coming from without you having to explain. My ob had recommended using the written birth plan as a way to share things about ourselves with the staff, which I thought was a great idea.

    It is a surreal time you are in right now. You are doing great and have a fantastic perspective. Know I am thinking of you and sending lots and lots of good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know uncertainty is scary, frustrating, and nerve wracking just breath and relax and soon you'll meet sweet little Miss S, I can't wait to here that she's finally here.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Men, in general, don't feel the same way we feel about bringing in the new baby. They are getting everything in second person. We are the ones incubating her/him, feeling everything, and if something goes wrong, we blame ourselves... so it's not completely his fault, it just is. (I have to learn this myself because I get frustrated that he sleeps so peacefully and I can't sometimes!!!)


    I have said it 1000 times but I love your home. It looks so welcoming! We are gonna get a pack and play and let the baby sleep in our room for a little bit too. Then, she'll graduate to the crib in her room. Otherwise, I may not get any sleep from waking up and going in there checking on her.

    You've made it!! I can't wait to see (read) about labor and when you first saw her.

    ReplyDelete
  11. 1. You got this. YOU GOT THIS. Everything can and will get done before then. Because you're awesome and theres time and chores are second to the Big S making her way into the world.
    2. Tch Drew needs to clean a toilet. You are pregnant, you get to be spoiled. And a 9 month pregnant woman on her knees, inhaling god knows what... as we say on the east coast, NAH SON. It takes like 10 minutes per toilet, get to scrubbing.
    3.Que Sera Sera. Id he's a little scarred/scared, I can't really blame him, both of you went through so much. But i think you are both being brave in your own/distinctive ways- him for wishing for what you want, you being open and ready for this baby. GAHHHHH I'm so proud of you (yeah like I'm an adult lol) but for real. I am. And don't worry about those emails (at least mine) I definitely understand! LOVE to you and your family

    ReplyDelete
  12. I felt the same way that you feel. My last 2 babies were delivered by cesarean as one wouldn't progress down the birth canal and the other had to be delivered that way because of the previous cesarean. All I know is once I got to see those little babies, it didn't even matter anymore. Not saying this will be the same for you, but most of the time once that baby gets here, the small things no longer matter. Enjoy every moment of this time, as I know you are. And don't sweat the small stuff. Soon enough, how that little sugar dumpling gets here will be the furthest things from your mind.

    My prayers are with you, the baby, and your husband. Try and relaaaaaax and enjoy because there'll never be another time that you'll be this close to baby girl!!!!! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. lol @ your stocking-ed feet at the edge of the top picture.

    you got this, girl. you're gonna do great! already praying for a smooth and quick delivery.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Desiree,
    I know you're trying to make peace with the situation, which I agree is necessary so that you can accept whatever kind of labor/birth you have and move on, but in the meantime since you're full term, have you tried or thought about natural induction methods? Red raspberry leaf tea is supposed to help tone the uterus for labor and can also prompt labor to start and Evening Primrose Oil taken orally and vaginally can also help. I don't have any children yet, but a friend of mine with two little boys born via unmedicated labors swears by those two things.
    I wish you the best of luck, and no matter which path you go down, I know you'll end up with a beautiful baby girl and things will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I never felt like Leo got it... it wasnt until 3 months in that I realized we were ont he same road.. or maybe we merged at somepoint when we were too busy being so happy Eden was here.

    Im excited for you both! Im praying for you and hope that you enjoy these next few days and you get to relax a little!

    xoxoxo

    RO
    hoping for a merger!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah, I'm back at work and have more time to comment. GL to you! PS I'm so glad you got the Elite - we've been able to use ours a little more with the good weather and I love it. A HS barista even told me it was an "awesome stroller" ha!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sooo happy for you, I can't wait for you to enjoy that wonderful feeling of holding the baby in your arms that first time and her look at you hehehe i'm so cheesy. Gosh it feels like I know you!!1

    ReplyDelete
  18. You're right to enjoy the calm now because you won't experience this again (first child). It's special in it's own.

    And worry not about Drew. Men are different when it comes to pregnancies and getting ready for baby. They don't carry the baby so their worries turn to other things more within their control - Money. All men worry about this because it's genetically engrained in them to be the head of household, the primary provider. You and Agent S are what he is charged as a man to protect and for men, it's financial. My husband was the same way. My ex husband, too, and all of my friends' husbands. That's just how it goes. :)

    I'm SOO SOO SOO excited for you. Only a short time and she will be here. Relax. Relax. Relax. Get your rest now because you know what happens when baby gets here. You won't feel the exhaustion until about two weeks into it because you'll be running on a baby high BUT just remember (at least try, when you're not staring at her at all hours), to get some sleep.

    Maybe you could take this nervous time to write your daughter (or just a journal in general) to document how you're feeling, how excited you are to finally be meeting her.

    Maybe get your music ready for the hospital stay.

    Or maybe even do some last minute shopping for nothing in particular just to get you out of the house and spend some of the energy on fun stuff.

    The weather is getting warmer here in Dallas, so you could even take your dog out for a lot of extra long walks so she feels special before the baby comes. My sis in law did this and she actually ended up going into labor shortly after. Not saying you should do it for that, but if you need something to do, walking is always good no matter who you are.

    Alright, enough of my wordiness :) I'm just excited for you and since I'm done having kids, I will have to live vicariously through you and that BEAUTIFUL baby girl you're about to bring into this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have no idea how I found your blog (back in the fall when I was pregnant with my first child), but I appreciate you sharing your journey. My baby boy is 20 weeks old and is an absolute joy - a lot of work, but it is so worth it. I took my maternity leave before he came and I cherish that I had that time to prepare for his arrival. Thank you notes can wait. Your in-laws can wash their own sheets. Have your husband clean the toilet, even if it doesn't live up to your standards. Rest, relax, and get that pedicure. Easier said than done, I know. But know that someone in TN is thinking of you and wishing you well.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Will you be doing hypnobabies while your induced?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Okay, I am all on board for Rania's suggestions! Awesomeness! In fact, the idea about writing to Sofia just stirred the warmest thoughts ever of how to spend these last quiet moments. It could be something that you put in her baby book or something you keep to give her later on in life for a special occassion.

    Whatever and however you choose to spend these last few days, know that your sweet daughter is a Gift from God and you are RICHLY BLESSED.

    So thankful you have shared this incredible journey and can't wait to see those wonderful new born pics of baby Sofia!

    Blessings to you and Drew as you start this new chapter.

    Virna Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  22. You're right to enjoy the calm now because you won't experience this again (first child). It's special in it's own.

    And worry not about Drew. Men are different when it comes to pregnancies and getting ready for baby. They don't carry the baby so their worries turn to other things more within their control - Money. All men worry about this because it's genetically engrained in them to be the head of household, the primary provider. You and Agent S are what he is charged as a man to protect and for men, it's financial. My husband was the same way. My ex husband, too, and all of my friends' husbands. That's just how it goes. :)

    I'm SOO SOO SOO excited for you. Only a short time and she will be here. Relax. Relax. Relax. Get your rest now because you know what happens when baby gets here. You won't feel the exhaustion until about two weeks into it because you'll be running on a baby high BUT just remember (at least try, when you're not staring at her at all hours), to get some sleep.

    Maybe you could take this nervous time to write your daughter (or just a journal in general) to document how you're feeling, how excited you are to finally be meeting her.

    Maybe get your music ready for the hospital stay.

    Or maybe even do some last minute shopping for nothing in particular just to get you out of the house and spend some of the energy on fun stuff.

    The weather is getting warmer here in Dallas, so you could even take your dog out for a lot of extra long walks so she feels special before the baby comes. My sis in law did this and she actually ended up going into labor shortly after. Not saying you should do it for that, but if you need something to do, walking is always good no matter who you are.

    Alright, enough of my wordiness :) I'm just excited for you and since I'm done having kids, I will have to live vicariously through you and that BEAUTIFUL baby girl you're about to bring into this world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm sooo happy for you, I can't wait for you to enjoy that wonderful feeling of holding the baby in your arms that first time and her look at you hehehe i'm so cheesy. Gosh it feels like I know you!!1

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Desiree,
    I know you're trying to make peace with the situation, which I agree is necessary so that you can accept whatever kind of labor/birth you have and move on, but in the meantime since you're full term, have you tried or thought about natural induction methods? Red raspberry leaf tea is supposed to help tone the uterus for labor and can also prompt labor to start and Evening Primrose Oil taken orally and vaginally can also help. I don't have any children yet, but a friend of mine with two little boys born via unmedicated labors swears by those two things.
    I wish you the best of luck, and no matter which path you go down, I know you'll end up with a beautiful baby girl and things will be just fine!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'd love for you to make a blog about your house, from some of the pictures it looks so beautiful and fascinating! Can you give a tour by taking pictures...lately I've been wanting to get ideas of how to decorate my house and from the looks of yours it's very nice and inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I've never done that! I should take pictures of the house - I've always
    wanted to do that but never got it together. You've given me just the
    motivation I need! :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin