Wednesday, October 26, 2011

My kind of camping

*You can vote once a day for Sofia!  Click this link, click 'vote for me', then type the words in red, then click 'submit my vote.'  Thank you!*


Now this is my kind of camping!
And we get to wear our fleece feetie pajamas!

I don't have to do laundry, I don't have to cook, there's no dog to shed all over my life, I have floor space to put the baby down and she can't go far - this is heaven!  

We've been in Reading for a couple of days now and I'm super encouraged - I can totally see myself living here!  The hotel is within walking distance of the town's main street and it's so super cute!  Drew has been staying here for several weeks now so the hotel staff knows him pretty well and they knew we were coming.  They all ooohed and aaahed over the baby and everyone has been so nice in welcoming us!  It's very Small Town USA, like leaving your doors unlocked, although I don't know if you can really do that - it just seems that way.  We picked up a costume for Sofia and the shops on the main street are having a Halloween party on Thursday and I'm really excited to participate!  
I really like shops that used to be houses and the main street in lined with them.
We went exploring on Monday but most of the shops were closed.
Also, haute doesn't have an accent.  Just sayin.
There's even a hippie shop!
I've already found two yoga studios too!

And the shopping!  I am loving the no sales tax on clothes!  We have done so much work at Carter's and I've already gotten Sofia two more feetie pajamas - it's a sickness.  Plus, they had coupons for an extra 25% so really how can you blame me!  

Okay, but tonight is the real deal.  We're having dinner with Drew's boss so I have to be on.  I have to be Wifey Extraordinaire and I'm on the verge of vomiting just thinking about it.  Meeting strangers rarely goes well because I get flustered and it just goes downhill from there.  As much as I try to make a smooth first impression, something always happens.  Like yesterday.

Tuesday I got to meet the amazing gaw-jus Katie from Loves of Life.  We met at the Philadelphia Premium Outlets, halfway-ish for both of us.  Of course, the baby had a minor wig-out right before we left, which meant I was flustered, grabbing stuff as we headed out the door, which meant I was running late going to place I'd never been, driving for the first time in a new city.  Good job Desiree.

I got there fifteen minutes late and met Katie in the parking lot.  She is gaw-jus y'all!  Eyelashes to die for!!  And of course her little girl was adorable!  We started chatting right away, which is the beautiful thing about blogging - you have a foundation for conversation which makes things a little easier.  We headed for the Starbucks because I hadn't eaten and I was sure she could hear my stomach growling.  I ordered and grabbed for my wallet.

It wasn't there.

I was standing there, making a fabulous first impression, digging in all the pockets of my diaper bag, not finding my wallet, digging, feeling my face get hot, digging, knowing that it's not there, digging anyway, good god she's going to think I'm such a tool, and Katie graciously stepped in and got my coffee and banana bread for me.  

I am just not good at this.

Thankfully, she brushed it off and we continued walking around, talking.  She's really easy to talk to and super down to earth.  She struck me as one of those people with nothing to hide and it was refreshing.  She's got beautiful clear eyes and when she talked about her husband and her baby, the love and happiness just floated off of her.  I'm so happy she made the field trip for me!

And I found my stupid wallet - it was in my coat in the car, where I'd put it when I took Drew to work that morning.  I'm such a tool.

I'm just hoping I can keep it together long enough that Drew's boss thinks I'm more like Katie and less like me.  Here's hoping!

15 comments:

  1. I think *I* am the tool because I kind of have tears in my eyes about all the nice things you said about me. You are so sweet, and too kind. I'm so happy you're moving here because, girl--we gotta shop together more often. Preferably with my child a little less...toddler'ish. Or I'll just leave her with my mom next time :) Seriously though, so glad we could meet! you are a doll. And so is that little girl of yours.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant it all and I'm looking forward to hanging out more when we're here for good! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. WHOA!! Look at Sofia!! She's growing up so fast!! Love this picture of her at the top!! And oh man, I am DEFINITELY finding time to visit you once you guys get settled and partake in that tax free + coupon shopping!! YES MAM!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh hush!! you'll be fine! Fine I say!! Think of all the amazing stuff about you! You are nice, you are honest, you are gorgeous, educated, you speak two languages and most importantly you are STRONG!! reading this blog has convinced me of that fact, so it should convince you too :) Now, put on a "wow me" dress, hoist up the girls and proceed to make all the other husbands jealous ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. She's so beautiful! Looks like she might end up a dancer :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. First - of course I voted. Second - she's so your baby. She's doing a yoga pose! HAHAHA Third - so glad you're having a fun time in your new city! It looks so cute!!! Fourth - you are going to impress the socks off of the boss. You're a hot, strong, impressive mama! Don't be scared! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you like Reading! I knew you would, it's a cute town. My mom runs the Gap Outlet at the Philadelphia Premium Outlets, haha. I hope dinner goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Gah, I hate bad Frenchified words! At least do some research and put the accents in the right places!

    Reading looks cool. Most of the places I've lived, we didn't ever lock our doors except when we went on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The awesome thing about dinner with the boss is...... Sofia is a distraction!!! *yay* ANNNNND a local Carters??? You are so lucky! I'm happy that you are enjoying your new home!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Is the little one doing yoga? hehe

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yoga baby! She's so cute - I vote for her every day. SO glad you're loving things up in PA.

    ReplyDelete
  12. She's kind of doing a modified seal pose. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think I bought everything that appealed to me - and I might go back just to make sure I didn't miss anything...

    ReplyDelete
  14. could she be any cuter????

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm smiling reading this. i also feel like the biggest gibbering fool when meeting new people, so i can totally relate. but you really are a low-key, funny, easy to be around person. you made an offhand comment about how your decision to cloth diaper wasn't "signed in blood" that had me sniggle-giggling on the way back home. :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin