Monday, May 13, 2013

Best Mother's Day EVER

For Mother's Day this year, the only thing I wanted was time.  As in, time to myself.  Specifically, I wanted to go shopping by myself.  My jeans were feeling a little too tight and too low cut and I figured it was time to get a more grown-up pair.  You know, a pair where my belly fat and ass crack were properly contained.  

However, as everyone knows, buying a pair of jeans is not as easy as just going to the store and buying a pair that fits.  You have to try on millions of pairs to find the One Pair, and that is not something you can do with a toddler.
While Sofia was in school on Thursday, I went to Goodwill to get started.
I was shocked to find Paige, Banana Republic, American Eagle, Express and Gap, all for six bucks!  I tried them all on and determined that Gap and Express had the rise I was looking for, and I would have bought them at Goodwill but the pockets were too embellished for my taste.

Drew said he'd watch Sofia on Saturday and I could have the day to myself, shopping and being leisurely and whatnot.  It was going to be great and I was looking forward to my 'me day.'

In preparation for my 'me day', Friday night I went to the basement to pull my summer clothes out of the bins.  I was going to see what I had and buy what I needed to round out my summer wardrobe, since it's finally getting warm here!
And since we're in the basement, I owe you a playroom update.
Remember this picture? This was pre-awning but this is more about the layout.
At Sofia's birthday party, everyone sat on the floor on that side of the basement 
because no one has kids that are old enough to entertain themselves.
Duh - why didn't that occur to me?
So we opened everything up, so people could sit on the sofas and still see their kids
instead of having their backs to their babies.
It's much better this way.
Sofia got a tricycle from Drew's parents for her birthday 
and now that there's open space, she can ride it around.  
Once her feet can reach the pedals - a couple more months and she'll be golden.

Anyway, I crossed through the playroom to the other side of the basement to the junk side.  It's the catch-all side that holds all the rest of the stuff that we haven't gotten to yet, but one day we will, as soon as they make more than 24 hours in a day and more than two days in a weekend.

I turned on the light and made my way over to the bins that had my summer clothes.  *walk walk walk splish*

I stepped in water.

There was WATER in our BASEMENT.  There were BOXES sitting in WATER.

Drew was next door at the neighbors and I texted him to come home.  Thank God Sofia was asleep, because we spent the next four hours opening all the boxes, pulling out all the books - that got the most water damaged, go figure - and spreading everything out in the playroom.
You know what this is?  
This is my Me Day, floating away.
It turns out the gutters were clogged and we had several rainy days in a row that caused the basement to flood.  We're trying to figure out if this is going to be a major structural expensive repair situation or if we just need to be more vigilant with with gutters.
And by we, I mean Drew.  I don't do outside, roof-type stuff.
We had to move everything to the playroom, which was undamaged thank God.

So, instead of going shopping all day Saturday, we spent the day at Lowe's buying shelving units, unpacking boxes, throwing things away, mopping the floor and trying to put some order to the junky part of the basement.  And honestly, I'm not really complaining because it was fun to unpack the boxes and be all Oh so that's where that was! I've been looking for that!  And you know I do love a good organizing session.  

In addition to our basement being torn up, Maya is getting a new home too.
When we moved in, Drew built this pen for Maya.
We were going to bury an invisible fence around our property, but I wasn't keen on picking up half an acre's worth of dog poop.  Plus, Sofia is at the age where 
we need to get a swing set and sand box and stuff like that.  
The backyard needs to be her playground, not Maya's bathroom.
However, her doggie door is in the laundry room which is next to the kitchen, and on
rainy days, my entire house was nothing but muddy paw prints.
One too many days like that and something had to be done.
So, on Friday the contractors came and they're ripping up all the grass and putting in artificial turf and decking so Maya will have her very own luxury suite and I won't have mud in my house anymore.

This means that Maya can't go outside until Wednesday so we've had to put her on a leash to take her to the bathroom.  She is not used to that and doesn't like it, so it takes forever to get her to pee and poop.  Good times.

Additionally, we ran out of dog food on Friday so I went to the store to get some more, only to find that her brand had been recalled.  We had to make do with a comparable brand, which OF COURSE upset the stomach of my delicate flower of a dog.  We spent the weekend cleaning up dog vomit at all hours of the night, poor dog.

That's how my Mother's Day was shaping up - a flooded basement and dog vomit.  It wasn't ideal and Drew knew it, so on Mother's Day, he was like 'Why don't you take the baby to Ikea and go shopping?'

I burned rubber getting out of that driveway.  I was a woman on a mission and I knew exactly what I was going to get.
 Remember the hallway from the house tour?
I got five Ribba picture ledges, did some math, and Drew got to drilling.
Ten minutes later, I had my book wall!
I put the pouf there because I have visions of Sofia sitting there, 
reading and getting smart.
The top couple of shelves are ours, but the bottom ones are all Sofia.
Drew's parents gave us some books the last time we visited, 
and there were some classics in that box.  
Do y'all remember Superfudge? Madeleine L'Engle?
I totally squealed when I unpacked them and put them on the shelves.
I love my book wall so much and it was the perfect Mother's Day present!
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Well, it was the second most perfect Mother's Day present.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Sofia got a new book to put on her book wall.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

She's studying up for her big test.
It's not until January and I'm sure she'll pass with flying colors.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
BAM.

It's insanely early and I haven't even had an ultrasound yet, but my beta is good and my progesterone is nice and high.  I found out before I even missed my period and did my shot within minutes of taking the test, so I have a good feeling about this one.  I'm claiming this one and I know we're going to have a happy ending.

I guess Dr. Sweetnerd was right - I just needed to stop nursing and my uterus wouldn't be so much of an asshole.  I kinda want my ten vials of blood back.  Yes, ten vials.  I for real almost fainted in his office.

And that, was my Mother's Day 2013.  

It Was Good.


Photobucket

28 comments:

  1. congrats on the news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats!!!!! VERY VERY EXCITING! I hope it continues to go well - i'm sending good vibes your way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Desiree! I always enjoy reading your blog. This is great news :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWW! Best reveal ever! Congrats, sending prayers and good vibes your way! :)

    p.s. love the flowers near Maya's pen. Do you know what they are called?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're azaleas (sp?) Supposedly, they're dangerous if dogs eat them, but so far Maya hasn't gone anywhere near them and they're so pretty I asked the landscapers to leave them.

      Delete
  5. Um...holy cow! I was not expecting that. hhahaha. But now the post title makes perfect sense. :) Congrats to you!!! So exciting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not sure why that just posted as unknown...I swear I'm not trying to be a lurker!

      Delete
  6. OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was getting all ready to say "sorry about your mother's day troubles!" and then you pop that surprise on me! EEEEEK! :) :) :) I'm SO SO SO SO SO HAPPY FOR YOU!! Listen here little baby - you hold on nice and tight inside of mommy and grow nice and strong!! :) :) :)

    EEK! Seriously! I'm hugging you through the internet right now!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMG, I just totally squealed like a teenage girl. Haha

    I'm so excited for you! And will be living vicariously through you until we get on the second baby bandwagon, I hope you post about it lots. Eek, this is so great. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH WOW! Wonderful wonderful wonderful news! I was wondering why I was scrolling so much. haha. Congratulations to you and your family! Awesome! Also, your dog is going to be SO spoiled!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh wow, how exciting! I hope hope hope that everything goes smoothly with this pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, my gosh! Oh, my gosh!

    We're having a baby...we're having a baby!

    Oh, wait....well, you know what I mean! I'm am so excited for the three of you! I literally gasped when I saw the book Sofia is reading! Yayyyy!!!!!

    Hugs, Tina

    ReplyDelete
  11. SHUT YOUR MOUTH!!!! AWE!!!! So happy for you!! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this post! SUPER CONGRATULATIONS!!! I guess you'll hold off on those new jeans... I was wondering why you weren't more frustrated that you went shopping for shelves rather than jeans when that had been the original plan. Such a good story!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy mothers day indeed!! Congratulations! I've been waiting to see this, and am so happy i have. Fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  14. OMG congratulations! And I agree, that is the best reveal ever. I got the biggest smile when I saw the title of Sofia's book and started laughing with happiness for you.

    ReplyDelete
  15. AAAHHH!!!! I knew it when I saw the post! Woop woop! I'm so so so happy for you, and I seriously do not have enough exclamation marks or all caps to do my excitement justice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. !!!!!!!!!!

    What a fantastic post and truly the best Mother's Day gift there is. Congratulations...there are so many people thinking of you and celebrating with you right now:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. What an excellent post Desiree! I've been meaning to tell you how much I love the playroom transformation - amazing! Congrats on expanding your lovely family!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Awww...this may or may not have brought some tears to my eyes! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had a feeling you were going to end this post with me in tears! Congratulations! Happy and healthy 9 months to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those book shelves are totally awesome!

    Oh, and congrats on you pregnancy. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Oh my gosh! Congratulations! I am so excited for you! And Happy mother's day!

    XO Lourdes

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations!! That is wonderful news!!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin