Thursday, May 30, 2013

So bright I gotta wear shades

Let's switch gears for a second.  Talking too much about how I have a bum uterus can get kind of depressing and it takes my mind off of all the amazing blessings I have in my life.  Namely, this one.
She's pretty amazing.
This awesome hunk o' man isn't so bad either.

My point is, I got a lot going for me and if things stayed just as they are forever, that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.  I mean, I'd love for Sofia to have a little brother or sister and if I never had another child, there'd probably always be a longing in my heart, but I'd keep going.  We'd all keep going.

So, let's chat about some cool fun stuff like decorating!  My awesome hunk o' man was quite busy this weekend and I'm oh so grateful to him for it because he fixed up our living room.  You know, when he isn't swamped with work, Drew is actually a pretty handy guy.  He actually knows how to do stuff and this past weekend he put lights in our living room all by himself!  I'm so proud I want to show you pictures of our updated living room.  Wanna see?
This is what it looked like right after we moved in.
Then we painted, bought some new furniture and it started to look a little more like home.
After that, we had a computer desk built and I stained and painted it.
The wires were a mess, but Drew my handy awesome hunk o' husband took care of that.
He ran outlets inside each shelf up top so the wires didn't have to hang down.
There are still a couple of wires, but it's nowhere near as messy as before.
I still need to get some pulls for the doors and decorate the desk area and 
then all the wires will be completely concealed.
That brings us to the entry.
I moved the office cabinet thingy in place of the drawer thingy, but it was huge
and dark and not right for the space.
Plus, I couldn't put it flush against the wall because of the baseboard heat.
So I sold the cabinet to my girlfriend and we make a field trip to Ikea.
That's Drew throwing things at me.
He's so mature.
We bought an Expedit and he and Sofia made short work of putting it together.
He found the studs to safely wall mount it.
Some heavy-duty anchors and heavy-duty drilling,
and it was on the wall.
I have my bookcases!
Finally, I have books in the living room. 
With that and the book wall, our house has a soul again!
I'm not sure if I should add legs or something underneath the bookcase to 
sort of 'ground' it or just leave it blank.
What do you think?
One of these days we're going to have that brown chair reupholstered.
Or sell it.  It's too big for the room but damn if it isn't super comfortable.
It's just that the re-upholstery quotes I've gotten so far are nasty expensive and I'm having trouble pulling the trigger.
So for now, this is how it is.
 THEN!  On Memorial Day, Drew spent the day doing more electrical stuff.
First, he took the ceiling fan down.
It was broken and made the ceiling feel much lower than it was.
I don't have pictures of taking it down because it took the both of us to get it done and
you can imagine what a hole in the ceiling looks like.
Then he did some more sawing and drilling and put recessed lights in the ceiling.
The living room is the only one in the house with no lights; we had to make do with
lamps and such but we'd always wanted more light.
Et voila!
Lights in the ceiling!
Drew did an AMAZING job and I'm so proud of him.
You can even dim them for that sexy mood lighting.
He put a dimmer on the dining room light too because he was on such a roll.


The lights are awesome, my husband is awesome, my kid is awesome, and you know what?  My life is pretty awesome.

We have several other projects on the list and now that Drew isn't traveling as much, we're going to tackle them one by one.  Next up is Sofia's big girl room.
Sofia has had her toddler bed for a week now and it's been pretty cool.
She slept through the night the first few nights, but then she got a cold and 
her sleeping went to shit.  
She's doing well staying in her bed but she can't breathe, poor thing, so she's not sleeping well.  I'm hoping that once she's better she'll go back to normal.

We also want to make the laundry room pretty, I want to properly decorate the guest room and I think the time has come to paint the bedroom.
The greeny gold is nice, but we're feeling like we need to make our room more grown-up.
I'm not really sure what this means and why that means we need to paint, 
or where we're going to end up but it should be fun.

So, that's what going on over here.  As you can see, I'm trying to keep myself occupied and keep my mind off of the whole baby business.  I see my doctor this afternoon and hopefully we can work together and make a plan.  In the meantime, I'm gonna decorate the crap out of this house and it's going to be great.  Positive thinking is a real thing and it really works and like they say, I'm too blessed to be stressed.

As a matter of fact, I think it's a great day to take Sofia to the park.  There's not too much that some time on the swings can't solve.
This kid.
This kid right here.
She makes the future bright.

Photobucket

10 comments:

  1. OMG! That last picture - SO ADORABLE! :)

    The house is looking so good! I love the changes you're making! I definitely think you should upholster that chair. It looks like the kind of chair you sink into and never want to get out of, and every house needs a chair like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any time now, you can just come on over to my house and decorate. My son is a great babysitter and he would keep Sophia entertained for hours. I'll even cook. Let me know when is good for you. Your house is beautiful. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so, so sorry about the miscarriage. It is wonderful to read the positive coming through in your post, and your house is looking even more lovelier and lovelier. Is that even a real word? know I'm thinking of you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! What fun UPDATES! Love the hanging IKEA expedit! I have been wanting to do that on a wall for quite some time myself. Keep looking on Craigs list for a used one! Anyway...instead of legs, why not put a basket that would fit well underneath. Could you use it to coral some of Sophia's toys or books, or your favorite magazines. If you don't like it, it is just a basket. Just another thought or option. I have a difficult tiem invisioning legs, but it does seem to need just a little sum'thin....

    ReplyDelete
  5. okay... looking at the shelf again. Do you use this door to go in and out? Is there a need for a discreet shoe basket right there????

    ReplyDelete
  6. I <3 you. Your family IS pretty amazing, I have to admit. ;) And no matter what's in store for you in the future, thank you for letting us follow you on your journey!

    I love that hanging IKEA expedit! Adding legs is an interesting idea, because it does seem to just float there, but I kinda like it like that. I also like the idea of the pp who suggested a shoe basket!

    ReplyDelete
  7. So happy to hear your feeling better and more positive about everything! The living room is looking good & the lighting yes!! We just had recessed lighting installed in our living room & kitchen best decision ever :) lol :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Holy Moly that living room is fantastic!! I am so impressed with yours and D's skills!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Holy Crap! Your hunk 'o husband IS handy, isn't he?

    I love the new ceiling lights, they make the ceilings look so much higher. I never would have thought to hang the Expedit, but it totally works. Legs? No Legs? I'm not sure...but the idea of a shoe caddy or basket might be the perfect option.

    Glad to hear you're feeling better, too.

    Hugs, T

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love your home!!!! You guys do good. (country, right?) But seriously, there is no better way of putting it. I love that you guys can make a home and do it on your own. #talent

    CHECK.

    #jealous

    CHECK.



    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin