Thursday, November 12, 2009

Everything is easier with wine

Before I went to the tattoo shop Friday night, I went to West Elm to get floating shelves for my picture wall.  They were on sale online but I wanted them NOW.  I called the store and they had some so again, I had them put them aside for me so I could pick them up after work.  Now how 'bout this?  Online they were on sale for $34.99 but in the store they were $29.99! Inconceivable!  Not only would I have had to pay a higher price online but I would have had to pay shipping too!  I hate shipping!  It is the main reason I almost always refuse to shop online - shipping can sometimes be a third of the purchase price!  So I was suuuuper happy to buy them at the store.

Shelves in tow, I went to get my tattoo, then I headed home and had a nice dinner outside with Drew where he drank too much wine and ended up falling asleep on the sofa.  He'd traveled the whole week prior and and was worn out! 

I rather like them both when they're like this.  Why can't they just stay this way?

Saturday morning I got up early to go to yoga and bruch with Kesha and Velia.  Sweet husband that he is, Drew offered to hang my shelves while I was gone.  Awwww - I was going to get to go to yoga, have lunch with my friends and come home to new shelves!  Not bad for a Saturday morning!  Instead I came home to this.


Those are the 'oops' holes from his two attempts to hang the top shelf.  The holes were HUGE and Drew was PISSED.  Not only did his twenty-minute nice gesture turn into a five hour chore complete with two undesired trips to Lowe's, now we had giant snake bites in our pretty wall!  He'd had a bunch of his own stuff planned for the day, all of which got pushed back because of that one shelf.  AND he resented me because I was off getting bendy and stuffing my belly while he was sweating and swearing.  Poor kid.

We had to leave it because we had David's birthday party to go to, but Sunday morning he was back at it. 


I offered moral support and encouragement while I photo-documented his efforts.


He finally got the second shelf up - look at those sexy legs, I mean uh, shelves.  Sometimes he distracts me.

Once he made sure the second shelf was up and secure, he took it back down so he could fix the oops holes.  Thank God we had all the stuff for that - another trip to Lowe's would have been disastrous.





That was Monday and he went out of town Tuesday morning.  I was far too impatient to wait for him to get back to finish the job so I did the rest myself.  I was very nervous that I would mess things up and make the wall look worse than before, so I brought in some assistance.


They don't call it liquid courage for nothing.

The lady that lived in the house before us worked for Sherwin Williams and kindly left all the paint when they moved so thankfully I didn't have to worry about matching colors.  It was a gigantic pain the ass to get the lid off the tub but with a couple of swigs of wine and some colorful curse words I was able to get it off.


Way too impatient for drop cloths.  Drop cloths are for sissies.

Since the holes were really big and really deep I had to do another coat of the spackle because I learned from my chair re-do!!  If you can still see the holes, paint won't hide it!  I had a congratulatory glass of wine for remembering that one!  Once the spackle dried, I sprayed the pebble texture stuff to match the rest of the wall.


With that done, I got ready to paint.  Drew had gotten touch up rollers for something and didn't end up using them - score!  I just love it when everything I need is already on hand!


Maya came to investigate.  I thought she was just checking it out - I should have known better.  As soon as she realized that the roller was soft she made off with it.  Thank God I had another one.


Punk-ass dog.

After some more wine because I was so annoyed with that dog (or maybe just 'cause I wanted some more), I started painting.  I positively squealed when the paint went on and you couldn't see the holes or the spackle or anything!  I did it right!  It was looking good!  That called for some more wine.


This may not look like much to you, but that's because I did such a good job covering up the oops holes and painting and I'm proud of myself!

Last night Kesha came over to hang out and watch X-Men WOLVERINE!!! with me and I hung my shelf!  I pulled some stuff from around the house so it's definitley a work in progress but I'm soooo happy with it!



A before pic for reference.



Yea for the picture wall!!  It's nowhere near where I want it to be - I'm thinking big frames with giant mats but that will come.  Drew and I had talked about pulling the sofa off the wall and putting it at an angle and when Kesha totally agreed, we did and I'm just loving it!  OH YEAH, what do you spy on the top shelf?  That would be our MARRIAGE LICENSE!  Score one for the Big D!  Drew was all "Why do you want to frame our marriage license?  That's weird, I don't know if I want it displayed."  Yeah, then I framed it and showed it to him and he was all "Oh - well, that IS kind of cool looking."  Don't question me, punk!  I knows what I'm doin!!

Oh also!!  I'm super proud of the other little thing I did.  Our sort-of coffee table (it's too far away to actually use it) needed a little something so I took the vases that we had gotten for the housewarming party and filled them with the glass bead thingies that we'd gotten for the flowers and filled them with candles.  I got them at West Elm and got a scented one for the center to take away the ridiculous dog smell in the house.  Now if I could only get a candle to take away the ridiculous dog.


Another before picture for reference with our one sad little Halloween decoration attempt. 
So pitiful.

So much better!  Now I just need to find a pretty box for all those remotes!  And I probably should have moved them before I took the picture - I am such an amateur.

I got some other stuff that should be coming any day now - I broke down and ordered a couple of things online but see!  I'm having issues with one of the companies and I have to call them today to find out what the flippin deal is.  They better send me my stuff!  Punks!  I'm decorating and I don't take too kindly to people getting in my way!  I order the stuff, you send it, I decorate.  Having it any other way does not please me.

It's all good though - I have my picture wall!!  I need to celebrate - I wish I had some wine...

4 comments:

  1. Just wanted to tell you that I LOVED this post. Reminds me of Johnny and me. I think that's a compliment....:)
    Well written, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, thanks! It's been so much fun putting up pictures and making the house look more like a home... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Way to go! Shelves are *the* worst thing to put up. It looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your link on YHL (another fan here who checks for their posts daily!). Loved this post, usually I enjoy a wine after the project but during could help with the misadventures too!
    Michelle
    http://jarrahjungle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin