Friday, February 26, 2010

Let there be light!

After I finished the kitchen curtains I sent a picture of them to Drew.  Two seconds later my phone rings.  "What did you do?" in the exasperated, how-much-money-did-you-spend voice.  I told him it was beautiful and that he would love it.  Then I played dirty.  "But baby, the curtains make me happy.  And you want me to be happy don't you?  Isn't my happiness the most important thing in the world to you?"  He and both vomited a little and then I told him I wanted to put the window film on the rest of the windows in the house.  "Go for it" he said.

Did y'all hear that?  He said "Go for it".  Meaning, go ahead and do it.

The SECOND I hung up the phone I RAN to Home Depot to buy the rest of the window film.  Drew NEVER gives the okay to spend money that easily and I was not going to look a gift horse in the mouth.  After measuring the windows, I dashed out the door, praying that he wouldn't come to his senses until I'd already bought it and burned the receipt.

At Home Depot I found the window film I wanted - same brand, larger size.  I sat on the floor in front of the display with my notebook and calculator on my phone to determine how many rolls I would need.  I was sketching and writing measurements when a Home Depot boy came by.  "Can I help you with anything?"  "I'm good, thank you!" (said with eye contact and a friendly smile - I'm working on my people skills since strangers make me hyperventilate and I don't usually look them in the eye.  I'm growing y'all!)

When the second then THIRD Home Depot boy came by I began to wonder if I was the only one who ever came in there with a notebook and sat on the floor.  Anyway, I determined I'd need three rolls, which seriously hurt my feelings since they were thirty bucks a pop.  But there were several packages that were damaged, although the rolls themselves were fine.  I called the third Home Depot boy back over to ask him if I could get a discount on the damaged packages if I took them.  He said yes!!!
 
Score!

However, then the Home Depot boy starting chatting me up, asking me my name, where I lived, if I was from around there, where did I go to school.  That's above and beyond customer service y'all.  I tried to be polite but I never know how to handle those situations.  I don't want to be a bitch because maybe he is just being friendly, but I really just wanted to leave and get started on my windows!  He gave me my out when he asked if I was married.  I was like (thank GOD) "Yeah, I am" and practically ran away.  I was about ten feet away when he calls out "Desiree!" (I should have given him a fake name) "Yes?"  "You're really pretty." (in a very earnest, almost creepy voice) "Thank you." (still smiling, but now a little creeped out and walking away just a teeny bit faster)

It was flattering, especially since I'd come from a massage (Christmas present from our neighbor) and my hair was JACKED UP, I had zero make-up on and I was sporting the BIGGEST zit on my chin!  Either he was hard-up or I still got it - I prefer to think I still got it.

That was Tuesday - this morning I got started!  I began with the breakfast nook.
Check out the bottom right - that is a SINK y'all.  I couldn't make this up if I tried.

This time it was a little slower because the windows were painted shut and I had to take a blade to get the paint off the edges of the windows.  Once that was done, it went pretty quickly.  I discovered that if I used my smoother as a guide, I could cut a straight line much faster.  In the kitchen I tried to free-cut and my line wasn't as straight.  However, it's barely noticeable and anyone who points it out should probably get a life.
 
Smoother as guide - see, this is why I need another person.  I held the smoother in my left hand and cut with my right but I had to improvise to take the picture.  
Y'all are smart - you get the idea.


Breakfast nook after - so much better!  

I moved to the dining room next.  It's the darkest room in the house, both because of the dark furniture and the lack of light.

 
Out the dining room window.  
This is their idea of privacy shades.  My idea is much better.
My favorite is the garden hose - I doubt they even know it's there.
 
I had to lighten this picture with Picnik - even though the room is much brighter now that I can open the shades, it's still pretty dark.

Then I took a lunch break.  Kesha came over last night after yoga to hang out and I made a celery soup for her.  She's doing a fruit and veggie fast and I had all this celery for some reason.  I added some butter for flavor and put brown rice in my bowl.  We sauteed some spinach and peppers and had a fruit bowl for dessert.  It was so easy and tasty and it was even better the next day!
 
 
Soup recipe here.  See, Drew's not the only chef in the family - wait, don't tell him I said that, he'll make me start cooking.  
Actually, the soup sucked.  It was poison.  I suck at cooking.

After lunch, I started on the windows in the front room.  Two windows left - I'm in the home stretch!  
 
Front room, right side.  
Notice the overturned drink cooler on the front porch.  Gotta love it.

And then the dog gods heard me.
Maya was doing well the whole day, just wandering around not really bothering me.  Again, this is why two people are better than one.  In the breakfast nook and dining room, I could put the paper that the film was stuck to on one of the tables out of her reach.  In the front room, there was no such table so I had to just drop the paper on the floor since I had to hold the film with both hands.  Well, that was just too great a temptation.  She grabbed the paper and ran to the sitting room and there was nothing I could do.  I stuck the film on the window, smoothed out the bubbles and went to investigate.
 
I'm getting used to messes like these - I didn't even yell at her.
 

Where are you going to hide, punk?
 
 
You can't look innocent with the evidence in your MOUTH.

I cornered her, got her to drop the paper and went to finish the last window.

 
At least there are trees somewhat obscuring the view at this window but I can still see the ridiculous-ness that is their FRONT PORCH.  
 
The only drag about covering the windows is that you can't see if you have company. 

I started at 10:30 in the morning and finished with the six windows a little before three.  These windows were more difficult because I'd wager the previous owners didn't open the blinds the entire time they lived in the house.  I certainly don't blame them, but the windows were a bit messy and I had to scrape a lot of paint off of them.
  
 
Lighter, brighter and no more ugly views!
 
Maya was very impressed.

I love having all that light in the house now - the difference is night and day!  wah wah waaaaah
Sorry, I couldn't resist.  The only problem is all that light is highlighting all the DUST on the floors and furniture.  I'm going to have to sweep and mop FOR REAL to get at all the nooks and crannies I can now see quite plainly.

I'll think about that tomorrow.
 

1 comment:

  1. Window films are definitely better than blocking everything altogether with curtains or blinds all the time, as you still let the light in, but get that privacy you want. That being said, are you still using window films on your new house? Anyway, thanks for sharing this. Good day!

    Christie Goodwin @ Window Enhancements LLC

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin