Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Lurking

Since reading Katie's last two posts I've been thinking about lurking.  I'm not a huge fan of the word but it is what it is, so I move on.  BTW Katie, I put my email address on my profile.  So now I've got TWO ways for people to contact me - my blog email and my real email!  Keep pregnant girls happy y'all - that's the rule.  Oh yeah, go read what she wrote about lurkers - that way my post will make a little more sense and you can act accordingly.

So back to people who read your blog without telling you, i.e. leaving a comment/email.  On one hand, of course I want to know who is reading what I write.  I feel less alone, more validated when someone comes on and says "I know what you're going through" or "Hang in there" or "Pretty mirror!" 

We all like validation and we all want to connect with others, otherwise we wouldn't have/read blogs.  For me, I like knowing that I'm not the only one in the world with an imperfect marriage, or who's struggling with infertility, or simply that I'm not the only one who thinks the world is funny.  So many times I'm alone and something ridiculously funny happens to me and for a moment I think that was so crazy!  I wish someone could have been here with me to see that!  Then I remember that I have a blog and if I tell the story right, it will be like you were there! 

I would looove to know who is out there, who is reading, who thinks I'm funny, who cries with me, who is happy with me.  That would be cool, but I don't think it's entirely necessary.  I do the same thing - I hop around on tons of other blogs, reading their stories but not commenting because I don't want to sound like an idiot by leaving a comment like I was here, cool story because sometimes that's all I have to say.  Other times I leave long, novel-like comments because I'm that moved and I want the writer to know.

It's a funny thing, this blogging and commenting and lurking.  I would love to have a cool blog with a slick layout and kabillions of followers because who doesn't?  Even if the people who read my blog clicked 'follow' after reading only one post and have since not read anything I've written, I touched them that one time.  Wait, that didn't sound right.  They liked me enough in that one instance to click 'follow' and that is super awesome and I thank you all.  And I loooove comments just like the next girl - with each comment back and forth I feel like we're forging a friendship.  I love hearing from those who read what I write, hands down.

However, those that read and don't click 'follow' and don't leave comments - you're awesome too!  I'm happy that you bear witness to my life because that matters to me.  Scratch that, it means so very much to me.  It warms my heart - no lie.


So if you want to stay in the shadows and never comment or email me, I'm actually okay with that.  Somehow, some way, I know you're out there and that's enough.  In fact....

*this is me moving an imaginary internet tree to give you a little more shade*


How's that?
 

15 comments:

  1. lol...I actually agree...it is totally not necessary to comment on every post, in fact, I was actually not meaning that whatsoever by my post. I rarely comment unless I really feel I have something to say, honestly. But, thats just me--and apparently everyone else :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't comment on every post, but I check back daily!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Heather from Kansas checking in :) Great idea for a post Desiree! It gives validation to the fact that somebody is actually reading what we write!

    I'm off to add my email address to my blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welp, you know me! Been around since the brown layout and you've been around since my Blogger lol

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Desiree-I'm a mostly-silent follower. When I am at home I work on-line and like to peruse blogs as a little break to myself. I especially enjoy yours, and though we don't know each other, we do actually have mutual friends and aquaintances. I wish I were as witty as you and that is why I enjoy your blog so much. Even more so, I also suffered a miscarriage and though everyone's stories are different and personal in their own way-I too had a really hard time getting pregnant again, and it was just plain horrible! So, though I might not comment much, I send good vibes your way that you will win the battle with pregnancy. ...Cathy (Kansas City, KS)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey girl. My name is Erica and I live in Houston. I started reading your blog when you were featured on Curly Nikki. I went back and read every single one of your posts, and I check it daily. I relate so much to you. Somtimes I feel like I can copy and paste your bogs and email it to my mom or boyfriend. I cried when you lost your baby, and laugh loudly at your dog. And I can relate with all your hair issues. It's SO weird because I feel like I personally know you. I don't know why I've never commented. I think I'll start. Well anywho I just poke my head out to say I HEART YOUR BLOG! . ericadargin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys are the most awesome ever! Thank you for coming out of the woodwork and saying hello! You're the greatest...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I found you via Curly Nikki too! And you already know I think you're strange. LOL LOVE YA CHICA!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Desiree,
    I am a silent lurker....have been for a while. I went to school with Clint and am good friends with Cori. I love reading your posts and respect and admire your honesty. Keep it up. :)
    Nickie

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for this post! I love your blog even though I follow it in ths 'shadows' lol! Thanks for understanding :)!

    Mandy

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi. I'm Lori, and I enjoy reading your blog. Actually, since we're being honest here, you're in my top 2 as favorites. I think that you should shun your job search and blog for a living. Serious. No really. Seriously.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do I lurk?..... Hmmm, when a blog catches my eye (as yours has today!) I normally hit follow, and I do try to comment when I can. I don't comment on every post, just those in which I have something relevant to say.

    Blogs are a community. There's those outgoing neighbors who greet you with a casserole as soon as you move on the block. Then there are the quiet neighbors you never see, just in the morning and the evening going to and from work.

    I'm probably in between. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey girl. My name is Erica and I live in Houston. I started reading your blog when you were featured on Curly Nikki. I went back and read every single one of your posts, and I check it daily. I relate so much to you. Somtimes I feel like I can copy and paste your bogs and email it to my mom or boyfriend. I cried when you lost your baby, and laugh loudly at your dog. And I can relate with all your hair issues. It's SO weird because I feel like I personally know you. I don't know why I've never commented. I think I'll start. Well anywho I just poke my head out to say I HEART YOUR BLOG! . ericadargin@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin