Wednesday, May 5, 2010

My big-girl car

I still have more to share about our trip to Kansas City and our reception but I'm so excited I have to do this first!


Drew and I have been talking about getting me a new car for some time.  I had been really hesitant, as I could see the light at the end of the car-payment tunnel.  While I was in school and waiting tables, my little Civic never gave me any problems.  It got me where I needed to go and I didn't require much more than that.  My only complaint is that it was small.  The dog took up all the space in the backseat and two doors is not very kid- or guest-friendly.  As much as I wanted to keep my car until it died, it wasn't all that practical.


Honda was running a big ad campaign and Drew told me about it - he said we should check it out.  I didn't want to, for all the above reasons and the biggest of all - I HATE car shopping.  I'd rather sit through ten Amway presentations than car shop - and I hate all multi-level marketing stuff a lot.  I want to minimize my time in a car dealership as much as possible.  When I bought my Civic, I was in and out in less than three hours - test drive, haggling, paperwork, everything.


I humored Drew and called the dealership and got the details on the deal they were running.  I was very upfront with them.  "I don't have a job right now.  I fully expect that to change in the coming weeks but I don't want to waste your time or mine if that's going to be an issue."  Amazingly, it wasn't!  I got on the website, picked out the one I wanted and I did most of the legwork over the phone and on the Internet - thank GAWD for the Internet!!


Our appointment was last Saturday.  It wasn't nearly as painful for Drew.  He loves cars and will go to car dealerships just to talk cars and test-drive them.  We've gotten into many a fight because I would rather be reapeatedly pinched on the soft part of my tricep than step foot in a dealership if I don't have the intention of leaving with a car.  A test drive should only serve as confirmation of your choice after you've done all the research, not just for funsies.  I had strict instructions for Drew.  "We are walking in here to make this deal.  If at any time I feel uncomfortable or bullied in any way, I'm walking out and I NEED you to walk out with me.  No questions, no contradictions.  Okay?"  


I'd been dealing with Benny Franklin (that's his real name!) and Mark Shipman.  After the first couple of attempts to get me to come in, they quickly got the picture that I would sooner have my head shaved.  Thankfully, they worked with me and were super professional in every way.  I'm happy to say that my experience was wonderful and I'm so thankful that it was as painless as car buying could be!  Thanks John Eagle!


For only $29 more a month I got a top of the line Accord with lots of bells and whistles!  It's so much bigger and now we won't have to trade cars with the neighbors when we have guests in town!  I feel like such a big girl!  Now I for real need to get a job!!
  I bought it right off the showroom floor!
Pairing my phone with the car - I'm totally in love with my Bluetooth!
I feel so cool when I say 'call Drew'!!
Learning all the bells and whistles that my baby Civic didn't have
Do I look like a big girl?
They take a picture of all their new buyers
At home - it's so pretty!

I'm so thankful to the guys at John Eagle for making me a little less wary of car buying.  I didn't have to stay there for an ungodly amount of time, they didn't talk down to me and I really felt like they respected my thoughts instead of pushing something on me that I didn't want.

However, I'm still glad that I don't have to do this again for another three years - at least for me.  We give up the sexy sportscar in June, and I'm hoping Drew won't make me go on any more test drives.

Now, I have to get on my grind and get a big-girl job to go with my big-girl car!  

4 comments:

  1. I'm so happy for you, chica!!!! The car is gorgeous and you look great in it.

    I also loathe the car buying experience, I feel like I need to walk in there with an attitude because if I walk in there, my usual friendly and upbeat self, I will get screwed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Get it chick! I'm about to start the same process. But mine is going to be walk in...pick one.....drive out cause like you, if I have to do a lot of talking then I'm not interested. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you! I'm a Honda lover myself. I have a Honda Fit. It's small with tonnes of space and just enough speed for me. My Fiance teased the heck out of me when we first get together. Now, that little blue car and him are inseparable. Keep posting, your stuff is always interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so happy for you, chica!!!! The car is gorgeous and you look great in it.

    I also loathe the car buying experience, I feel like I need to walk in there with an attitude because if I walk in there, my usual friendly and upbeat self, I will get screwed.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin