Wednesday, May 26, 2010

Accessorizing - with an able assist

As soon as I finished writing about the guest bedroom Sunday night, I began brainstorming ways to accessorize it.  Monday morning, I unpacked the final box of odds and ends that I cleverly hid in the pictures and put everything in its proper place.  Then I went shopping - I hit a couple of thrift stores hoping to find a chair to re-do, but to no avail.  I bought fabric for the seat cover, I printed some pictures for some frames, I bought spray paint and I found my nightstand!  I'd been looking for a nightstand for the bedside but wasn't having much luck since the platform bed was so low.  I knew I'd need something non-traditional and thought a garden stool might work.  I found one at Target and crossed my fingers.
The one I got was similar to this one and only $50.
 I can't believe it's almost $200 online!

Unfortunately, once home I discovered that the stool was too small for that space.  When I returned it, I stopped at the Ross next door and just about did a happy dance in the aisle when I found a woven storage cube that was just the right size - plus it was only $30!  Holla!  Along with my trusty assistant Maya, I spent today decorating!

First up were the picture frames I found in the box - there was nothing wrong with them that a little black and white spray paint couldn't fix.
  I don't even remember where that gold frame came from and
the brown frame is Drew's.  Since all the frames in the house are black,
these too must be assimilated!
I sprayed the mats white to match the rest of 
the mats in the house.

Remember when I said spray paint is not my friend?  Turns out I was just using the wrong kind!  
It goes on smooth, the nozzle doesn't clog and I'm pretty much in love.

I sprayed the frames black and while those dried, I turned to the seat cover.  Black and white no longer fit the room, so I went back to my favorite fabric store to find a neutral fabric with some blue.  It's like they knew I was coming!  Either that, or I'm not very unique and everybody's decorating in neutral tones with a bit of blue.  I don't care - I found a great fabric at a great price so I was happy.  You remember how much trouble I had covering the seat the first time?  Well, I got smart this time!  Thanks to a YouTube video, my problem was solved!  Forgive me if y'all already know this and I'm tardy to the party but I was giddy - giddy when I saw that video.  Last time I messed up by trying to staple an entire side before moving on, making my pattern all wonky each time I finished a side.  I ended up with a crooked pattern and I was not pleased.  But I learned this time!

It's so simple - secure the fabric with one staple at each side so your pattern won't slip as you staple!  Revolutionary!  Changed my life!  And it went soooo much faster!
New fabric - I even used more batting to plump up the seat!
Before, when it was in the sitting room
After, in the guest bedroom
The fabric is a little greener than the walls, but I don't 
mind that it doesn't match perfectly.
I'm just tickled that the pattern is straight.
Maya making sure that it meets with her approval
I like it Mom!

Next was the storage cube.  Having checked that the white spray paint wasn't too bright, I went after it.
Yeah Mom, I think this will work.
I know, I bought it.  Can you please move so I can get a before shot?
Oh, sorry.
Thank you.
Perfect size, just too dark.  Luckily, I can fix that!
Awaiting transformation
First coat - please hold while I run to Lowe's for some more spray paint

By this time, the frames had dried and I assembled them while I waited for the cube.  Once that was done, it was back to the guest room to address the cord issue.  In Target, I had an a-ha moment and thought about hanging hooks to the underside of the desk to hide the cords.  I got some $2 mug hooks and hoped it would work.
I hope those work Mom!
Yeah me too.
Messy cords
Success!
No more messy cords!
Obviously there's still the one for the power strip, but I can deal with that.
The cord on the desk is for Drew's computer and if 
I were really anal I suppose I could tuck it behind the boxes.  
But I'm not, and this is good enough for me.

By this time, the cube was dry enough and I wanted some after pictures!  
Much better!
Accessorized with some tealights, a magnolia bloom from our backyard
and a photo from our trip to Santa Fe.
The other frame is in the dining room with a picture from 
Paris and the gardens where we got married.

Next on the list was the clog in the bathroom.  While that's not really decorating, spending all that time in the bathtub made me realize how grody our shower curtain liner was so I bought a new fabric one.  But back to the clog.
Yup, that sure is nasty Mom.
Yes I know - it's actually your fault.

About a week ago, when I wasn't home, my darling husband decided that he would give the dog a bath since she'd gotten muddy on their walk.  He bathed her inside the house.  In the bathtub.  And then looked surprised when the drain got clogged.  And then asked me to do something about it since he was out of town.

From now on, the dog gets hosed off outside or she goes to the groomer.  That's the rule.
Sorry Mom.  Dad said it was okay.
I know he did and we're having a conversation when he gets home.
I'm bored - can we play?
In a minute.

I tried everything they said on YHL.  I did the baking soda and vinegar.  I plunged like it was my job and I was working overtime.  I pulled out nasty grody disgusting hairballs.  I did more baking soda and vinegar and plunged some more.  It drained, just painfully slowly.  I finally gave up and went to Target for some Liquid Plumr foam stuff - which did absolutely nothing.  I poured the whole bottle down the drain, waited and then took a shower, only to end up standing in ankle-deep water.  Thirty minutes later it drained, leaving behind all my sweat and paint and general nastiness, (I jogged with the dog today!  Me!  And I lived to tell the tale!) which I had to clean all over again.  This time I went to Lowe's since I had to return the extra can of spray paint I got and bought some Drano Max gel.  Once again, I poured the bottle down the drain and I'm praying to the baby Jesus that it's okay by morning.

I'm really happy with the way my accessories turned out for the bedroom.  I'm still looking for my chair and I'm confident I'll find it.  I found a couple on craigslist but they were selling for three and four hundred dollars!  Look, if you're listing something on craigslist you have no business charging for it like it's new.  My other favorite is when people say 'I paid $4000 for this so I'm selling it at a loss for $400.'  No one cares what you paid - all that matters is what it's worth now.  Telling someone what you paid for it is just an attempt to justify a high asking price.  Yet, I'm talking out of both sides of my mouth because we paid a pretty penny for our dining room table from craigslist - but that I could swallow.  It's very unique and very well made, so I was okay with the price.  It's the junk that gets me!  Stuff that's ripped, dated and raggedy - and they want $375 for it.  Not for real!

However, I refuse to give up hope that the chair I want can be had for cheap.  I've already got a few more thrift stores on my list and I'm sure I'll find it!

Tomorrow - turning in the sexy sports car and getting more blood drawn.  One yippee, one boo hiss!!

16 comments:

  1. Your home looks fantastic. You're doing such a great job, chica. (Tardy for the party made me crack a smile, it reminded me of dear old Kim from the Real Houswives of Atlanta, lol)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the blood draw. I hate those. So my stand by for unclogging a drain is a bottle of coke. Yes, coke. It works. Which is really kind of discouraging because if it can tackle dog hair, what does it really do to our stomachs. Hope you get that resolved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the decorating going on in the guest bedroom! Such a smart idea to spray paint the wicker box! I always forget about spray painting when I am in the market for something. I usually just wander from store to store, getting more and more angry because I find what I want... just in the wrong color! haha Those hooks for the wires are a GREAT idea!! I would have never thought of that! All your pictures and funny captions with Maya crack me up. :) Love it!

    Carolyn

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW -- I just love your style. Your house is beautiful. I'm not very creative, but love the look you have. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" some of your ideas (and the hooks under the desk are brilliant!).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again...blown away by all your clever, crafty ideas! Looks AWESOME! Hey, while you are in KS for the week, want to come to my house & do some decorating???

    ReplyDelete
  6. I followed you over here form YHL, and I'm having a ton of fun snooping.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Another wonderful post, love the new chair. And as a pet lover myself I love all the imput from the most important member of the family.

    Manda

    ReplyDelete
  8. I followed you from YHL also. I just followed their instructions (mostly, anyhow) to paint a table for our grown up play room (aka media room). I've been doing some of my own other "re-doing" lately too....I have a wonderful MASSIVE framed corkboard I did this weekend. Looks like the $250 version from Ballard Designs. You'll have to come check out my bloggy too. I will post my pics of it tonight maybe. www.imsimplysarah.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. New to your blog and this is only the second post I have read and I really enjoy it :) I love your conversations with Maya! I do the same with my dog. I think my dog is a bit bigger than Maya so I was wondering how you keep everything so clean?! Couldn't wait to find a home decor blog where someone had a big dog. I am going to email you my email. Respond if/when you have time.
    P.S. I also followed over here from YHL

    ReplyDelete
  10. I found your blog on YHL, and I love it! You've done a great job and your guest room looks fabulous. I need to stop by more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I clicked on this post because I saw the word 'accessorizing.' And then the thing about the clog... you should watch this video of a new drain-unclogging method I just found out about! I'm totally buying one of those Zip-it things next time I'm at Lowe's or Home Depot.
    http://zipitclean.com/

    ReplyDelete
  12. I found your blog on YHL, and I love it! You've done a great job and your guest room looks fabulous. I need to stop by more often. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. New to your blog and this is only the second post I have read and I really enjoy it :) I love your conversations with Maya! I do the same with my dog. I think my dog is a bit bigger than Maya so I was wondering how you keep everything so clean?! Couldn't wait to find a home decor blog where someone had a big dog. I am going to email you my email. Respond if/when you have time.
    P.S. I also followed over here from YHL

    ReplyDelete
  14. WOW -- I just love your style. Your house is beautiful. I'm not very creative, but love the look you have. Hope you don't mind if I "borrow" some of your ideas (and the hooks under the desk are brilliant!).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I know this is an old post and I assume you have fixed the clog by now! But for next time, get the clog cannon from flylady.net.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you! I'll definitely keep that in mind!

    Please excuse the brevity, sent from my phone

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin