Thursday, May 20, 2010

The Ugly Dress party

Saturday morning we got up early.  Rather, Drew got up early and I dragged ass for an hour after I got out of bed.  We were going to Galveston for the weekend for Steve's 40th birthday party and we were taking the dog.  We've traveled with her before, but I just didn't remember it being this hectic!  I forgot everything and of course blamed Drew.  That didn't make for a pleasant drive down but once I let out all the cranky, I was able to enjoy myself.
I'm so thankful she does well on car rides!
I'm so thankful he does well on car rides!

Drew and Steve have been friends for several years and I just love him!  Steve is such a genuine person and I was really looking forward to the getaway.  And you can never go wrong with an Ugly Dress party!


Galveston is a really cute beach town.  I loved the houses and architecture and was really bummed that we didn't have the chance to drive around and take pictures.  But this was a party weekend and we came to party!  We arrived with a few hours to spare before the evening got started.  After a quick spat (when I'm cranky there's no avoiding a fight - it's best to just get it over with and move on), we were ready to get the party started.  We each donned our ugly dresses for the evening and I started snapping pictures!
The three of us
My ugly dress, courtesy of Thrift World!  
Because when your best friend asks you to put on a dress,
you put on a dress!
These dresses were so fantastically bad y'all!
I mean really bad!
Yikes to the wow!
Steve has only been in Galveston about nine months, yet his apartment was packed with really nice people in really bad dresses!  The whole community there is really close and I was so impressed that they went all out for him.  When it was time to go, we went outside to the pink trolley that was going to take us bar-hopping.
All aboard!
We need one of these in Dallas!

We hit all the fun bars in Galveston - can you imagine a gang of people storming your bar, all in ugly dresses?  We were a sight to behold!
Showing some leg!
Singing happy birthday to Steve
Trying to look sexy on the way to the next spot
I wish I knew what was so funny!
The boys doing their best Romy and Michelle impression
The humidity taking its toll on my hair -
good thing I'm tipsy and I don't care!
As the night wore on, we were picking up everybody!
You didn't even have to wear an ugly dress by then.
Yeah, so that happened.

Unfortunately, I don't remember anything else after this point.  I'm such a lightweight and my cocktails hit me all at once and like a ton of bricks.  Apparently, I passed out laid down on the sofa at the last place and Drew and Patrick took me home.

The next morning, I woke up with a nasty hangover and did a frantic check for my ID, credit card and camera.  I couldn't carry a purse so my cards were in my bra and my camera had been around my wrist.  Thanks to my awesome hubster, I had all three!  He's the greatest!
Now that's a good night!

The next morning, we dragged ourselves to brunch.  We got there early (I have no idea how) and Patrick and I amused ourselves while we waited.
  He wanted to steal this and 'shoot' people ahead of him 
in the brunch line.
Brunch at the Hotel Galvez
Patrick's eggs benedict with chocolate sprinkles.
I almost threw up at the table.

After brunch, we loaded the cars once again and headed to the beach.  It was so much fun to hang out with Drew in the ocean and it was really heartwarming to see how much he enjoyed himself.  He really needed this down-time.  Even though the traveling doesn't really bother him, it's hard nonetheless.  He and Maya had a blast rolling around in the surf.

Right after I took this, I yelled at Drew "You're out too far!"
I don't think she minded - too much.

We all slept like logs when we came home.  We got up for dinner and came right home and went back to bed!  Monday morning I drove Drew to Houston Hobby airport since he had to fly to a meeting in San Antonio before coming back to Dallas.  Poor baby - I need to do something nice for him, he travels so much.

As for me - when I arrived home I had fifty thousand loads of laundry to do, errands to run and get readjusted to home life again.  There were dishes to do, bills to pay, appointments to make and a doggie who needed her shots.  We did that yesterday and that poor animal hates needles almost as much as I do!

We have nothing planned for this weekend - I'm curious to see how long that lasts!

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like y'all had a fun weekend! LOVE the Ugly Dress Party - what a great idea! You two looked adorable & had great "ugly" dresses :)

    Oh - and why does it not suprise me one bit that you of course have a beautiful pic on your DL ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your ugly dress wasn't that ugly. You still looked beautiful as usual. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like so much fun!! I love that *everyone* wore dresses. And it looks like Maya had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your DL picture is so pretty! Have you seen the new TDL they are horrible looking?

    ReplyDelete
  5. What the fuuuuuuuu**?!! You were in Houston and didn't visit me?!?!?! I'ma give you a pass this time but girl....honey.....chile......don't let it happen again.

    I was NOT prepared for the men's dresses *collapsed*

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks like so much fun!! I love that *everyone* wore dresses. And it looks like Maya had a great time. :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin