Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Packing for two

As I suspected, preparing alone to move is much different than preparing with someone. We had no boxes Monday and I had to stop Drew from taking everything from their respective spots and 'clustering' them as he wanted. I do not understand taking things out of the drawers and putting them in piles around the apartment in preparation for boxes that we'd get one day later. So we lost a packing day on Monday but the apartment stayed somewhat intact.

Tuesday, we got the boxes and we began packing that night. I meant to take pictures of the apartment before we started taking it apart but I very quickly got annoyed and forgot to take the pictures. When anyone undertakes a project with no defined leader, each one thinks their way of proceeding is best - no different with us. He and I have very different approaches toward moving/packing. When packing I am exceedingly cautious - I want every last thing in padding, then in a box. Ideally, when I'm finished packing there is nothing to see anywhere but clearly labeled, neatly stacked boxes, with the most valuable things packed in padded boxes and riding in the car with me. I value my things - I work hard for what I've got and they're important to me. Of course, this is not to say that Drew doesn't have nice things - he just has more faith than I do. His rationale is that we don't have to take that many precautions as we're only moving 'up the street and it'll only be in boxes three hours tops'. The worry-wart that I am, I was not placated with this response and told him to leave certain items of mine alone, that they would be riding in my car with me.

However, I noticed that as much as I was snapping at him last night he didn't snap back at me or lose his patience once. Was he so excited about moving that he was unaffected by my words? Was he having some compassion for me and allowing me to work through my feelings? Was he just ignoring me? Whatever it was, he just took it in stride, even when he suggested we pack my car now and just leave it till Friday - which I immediately shot down, saying that was an open invitation for someone to break into my car. He simply shrugged and went on packing. Normally that would have been at least a ten minute conversation about how negative I am. This time, nothing - very strange.

I'm wondering how I can parlay this good mood into something in my favor.
*stroking my chin*

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin