Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Thoughts on things

Being a receptionist is a good and bad thing. The good part about it is that I have ample free time to browse around the internet - I'm close to figuring out a way around the firewalls and then I'll really be able to enjoy myself with facebook, youtube, etc. I read blogs, broswse eBay, and occasionally learn new things. It's because of my ample free time that I learned how to take care of my hair and for that I'm eternally grateful!

However, there is a downside - I am massively over-qualified for this position. I hesitate to say that too loudly lest the employment gods take this job away from me. I have never valued a steady paycheck like I value this one. There is a girl in the office that went to school with me, although she was a finance major where I studied foreign languages which means she's got a cube somewhere and I'm out in the lobby answering phones. I will not spend even one second lamenting the choices I made in my past as my classroom experience was extremely gratifying and I wouldn't change it for the world. It's just that when you have a liberal arts degree you have to work a bit harder to show an employer where you fit in as no employer likes to have to figure out where to put you. Finance major, finance department, nice and easy.

Technically, my degree is better suited to international relations and since I'm not moving to New York to work for the UN or to DC to work for the government, it's the front desk at a property management company for me. But I digress...

It's a mite boring at the front desk! There are only so many (un-blocked) websites that I can peruse in a day. The phones have been quiet, which is nice because it's only people complaining anyway - but then there's no one to interact with. It of course doesn't help at all that all the news websites predict nothing but doom and gloom and the TVs in the lobby do the same. It's a constant reminder that I need to shut up and be thankful for the job that I have.

But I know I can do more than this, I'm waaaaaay smarter than this and it would be the biggest shame if I don't get the chance to even attempt to reach my potential. I would love to be able to go back to school but I'm not okay with incurring more debt. Maybe I should look into scholarships while I'm on the internet all day - lightbulb!!

Still no word on the house - Drew could have gone ahead and gone to Las Vegas; he wasn't scheduled to return till tomorrow. I am growing tired of the living in boxes thing - I wish I had taken more of an interest in the home-buying process. That way I would have been able to intelligently put my foot down when he wanted to pack so early - his excitement drove all reason out the window. But I say nothing because I know I have no leg to stand on. But still...

7 comments:

  1. Hope things are going okay with the house! I'm thinking about you....hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! This will make me stronger....anyway, that's what I keep telling myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What was your specific major? Do you want to go back to school to study International Relations or get a graduate degree in a language? That is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  4. G: The degree is called Markets & Culture which is the people side of business. We studied emerging markets (Brazil, China, India) and how their culture affects the way they do business. We also studied how corporations and corporate cultures differ (IBM v. Disney). Super interesting, difficult to market in a non-international setting. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the words of encouragement! This will make me stronger....anyway, that's what I keep telling myself. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hope things are going okay with the house! I'm thinking about you....hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What was your specific major? Do you want to go back to school to study International Relations or get a graduate degree in a language? That is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin