Monday, July 6, 2009

Weekend roundup

Since we moved we have been working non-stop on the house, whether it's going to Lowe's yet again for something else we need or sweating under the hot sun getting the garden in shape or just trying to keep it clean, which is not easy if you take your eyes off the puppy for even a second.We were ready for a getaway. One of Drew's friends has a lake house about an hour outside of Dallas and when they invited us to come out for the weekend we immediately accepted. Drew was eager to get Maya into the water - I just wanted a change of scenery and the chance to relax. I should have known better...


We left Thursday night after I got home from work. This was the first time traveling with Maya and I can safely say I have a good idea what it's like to travel with a kid. Drew wanted to bring her leash and some food and call it good. Men. We packed her pen, treats, paper towels and vinegar to clean up after any accidents, her toys, her chewies, vitamins, blankets that had her scent on them, and her food in tupperwares. Drew was in awe of the stuff that was just hers - and I hadn't even gotten started on his things! I packed all of us and we stuffed ourselves into the car.

I sat in the backseat with Maya as we hadn't put her in the car for this long before. Drew mentioned that he was upset that I wasn't in the front seat with him, to which I responded 'that's parenthood for ya. The little ones come first'. We got there late that night and met the other couples, one of whom had a little dog named Stella. Stella was three and less than half Maya's size. However, since Maya's only four months old I feel like the playing field was even. They were so cute playing together.




Friday morning we woke up bright and early, thanks to Maya and I was the one elected to take her out and get a little walk in (because I hadn't had as much to drink the night before). The view from the deck was just what I needed.
Maya loved the big backyard and I was super pleased that she never got too far away from us. For some reason, I was very protective of her the whole time we were there and I was not happy when the boys essentially forced her into the water. She was a good sport but even I could tell she didn't want to be in the water. The guys had great fun playing beer pong - they spent hours out there and ingested lots o' beer! Maya stayed on the dock and I just floated around and listened to David's awesome iPod - it was the best! Maya was in our room with us which worked out well as she slept longer than she normally does which I'm sure was due in part to her romping with Stella and getting exhausted. However, she was still full of energy and was pleasantly surprised to find that she could get on the airbed much more easily than our bed at home. She lost no time taking advantage of that.












We left Saturday around noon, dropped off some things at our house and headed over to Drew's friend Tyler's house for his birthday party. It was so much fun and Maya was a big hit. Everyone there was making a huge fuss over her coloring (charcoal labs are rare) and she was behaving and loving all the attention. We had to put her in her pen a couple of times so she could take a quick nap but all in all we had a really good time. I didn't get pictures at Tyler's because I was alternately stuffing my face with the amazing food and chasing after Maya (while Drew was having fun in the pool - if that's not motherhood I don't know what is). Plus they were doing cannonballs off the diving board and I was afraid of my camera getting wet. You haven't lived until you've seen grown men do cannonballs - do they ever grow up? 


Sunday was catchup - doing laundry, cleaning house, buying chairs and all the other coming back from vacation stuff. It was a fun weekend and I really enjoyed the chance to get away. Good times!

Tonight - puppy school!

1 comment:

  1. Welcome to my world!!! Try having two! We would go over to "Juju's" house (Gabe's mother Julie) and I felt like I was packing over night for them. It gets better. We're at the point where they can go run and play but I know where and what they are doing at all times.

    And I'm glad you guys got to get away. It looks like you guys had a great time :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin