Tuesday, January 4, 2011

From the ground up

So, I was going to post first thing this morning then my job was all nooo, you must do work!  They sucked me in and made me earn my paycheck!  The gall!  Plus, I ran out of time again because we had our hospital tour last night and didn't get home until 8:30 or as I like to call it, way past my bedtime.  However, I did take some pictures and that's all that matters!


As I very quickly learned, taking pictures of a room without a wide angle lens at nine at night is quite difficult.  I really hope you get the feel for the room because I love it so much and I hope you like it too.  First, the green chair.



I'm interrupting myself because I just came back through to spell-check this post.  What if we layered the rugs, making them asymmetrical?  Either laying them both the same direction, just offsetting them, or get super crazy with it and lay them at opposing angles?  You know, make it obvious that it's two rugs?  Drew's gonna kill me - it was a bitch getting that bed out of the way.  I may need y'all to back me up.

I hijacked the other pillow for our bed - we're using six pillows, isn't that ridiculous?  We need new pillows anyway.  Until the baby is mobile, I see the chair closer to the bed with a tray on the seat to serve as a nightstand of sorts because the seat is the perfect height. 


Drew has had these cube thingies since forever - they're a set of three and I think he got them at Target.  I haven't decided if I want to paint them white, paint just the insides or get something else for that space.  I know I want her to have books in her room and we're trying to repurpose things we already have.  These did live in the living room but the etagere has taken its place. 


We moved the dresser to this wall after trying it in the crib's original spot.  Thankfully, it's not deep so it fits just about anywhere.  Drew was cleaning yesterday and everything remotely baby related found its way to the top of the dresser but the vase totally works and it will stay.  The sconces are going and I may just leave the space between the wall and the door blank once I put up the curtains.  We have a hamper that's going to end up living just to the left of the dresser, as this is going to serve as her changing table.  The blinds on the door are going and I'm thinking about a roman shade for the door.  It does open to Drew's office so I may frost the door so light can come through because I'm thinking four sets of full curtains might be too much.




The crib is now at the foot of the bed and the third cube thingie is now a drink stand.  Again, to paint or not to paint?  And I know, against the wall the chair looks super blue so it's going to need help blending with the room.  It works with the rug and the vase but I have to tie it to the wall with a pillow and throw.  Usually, with blue accents the wall looks bluer, but here it looks more gray.  This is also the big-ass wall where the mural will go but as we sat in the room (again) last night, Drew suggested I paint the mural on the wall where the green chair is and make it look more like a poem than long strings of words.  But then we have to put something else on the big-ass wall.  A tree wall sticker maybe?


Image courtesy The Decorologist

 If I could find this in a light tan?
Image courtesy Apartment Therapy

The big-ass wall also needs a shelf.  Or shelves.  I'm not sure.  But definitely white, since I want to match all the trim.

I like how thick these are.
Image courtesy West Elm

And of course all this has to tie in to the curtains.  The curtains!  The curtains!!  I will find the perfect curtains for this room if it's the last thing I do.  Now I'm thinking they need to be solid since the rug is patterned and the chairs are so dramatic.  I don't want there to be too much going on in here, it's a baby's room for pete's sake.  We need calm, peace, quiet, as little crying as possible.


Then I found this!

She took regular IKEA curtains and fabric painted the yellow stripes.  Horizontal stripes are not my thing but vertical stripes!!  Okay, I just went Google Image searching for vertical stripes and couldn't find anything similar to what I'm thinking about.  But I'm thinking I could go to the fabric store and get linen fabric, lay it out and paint it, hanging it just like I did the curtains in the kitchen.  But is flowers and stripes too much?  Both would be subtle but interesting, I think.  Only one way to find out!

And then there's bedding.  I'll need subtle, possibly a solid color or a teeny tiny pattern that reads as a solid color, like the duvet in our bedroom.

Oh yeah, and the most important bedding of all - the crib!  I'm not using a bumper so I have to get the most out of my crib sheet and crib skirt.  Heather sent me links to some awesome baby stuff and I fell in love when I saw the Marlo set.  I can't take pictures from their site but you gotta click over and look at it!  I could totally make a crib skirt like that!  And I love their green crib sheets!

I just want to fill this space with things I love and I think we're on the right track.  Neither of us can leave the room and I can only imagine how it will be when the baby gets here.  Piece by piece it's coming together and I sure do appreciate all your ideas and thoughts.  Sometimes you need a little help getting those creative juices flowing, you know?

I can't wait to check out the fabric store this weekend!

6 comments:

  1. From one nursing momma to (another soon to be)....

    you definitely need a good ottoman for that chair. You will spend lots of time in there (down the line especially once you move the baby there after bassinet, OR if you choose to have her there from the beginning)---and you WILL want to prop your feet on something :)

    I think its in the plans to have one, but I'm telling you...its a NEED :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed out loud (sorry) at the last post about the hunt for the chairs and then you finding all the other things too! That PBK dream glider/rocker piece of amazing furniture was out of reach for me as well. That's $1000 I could use to decorate the entire nursery, thankyouverymuch! I was so happy you found TWO chairs and they both came to live with you. Drew is a good sport:o) The lime and aqua are setting a great palette. Curtains might be a giant pain to find pre-made, so I think your idea of heading to the fabric store is smart. It is going to be hard to match curtains/rug/bedding if one of them is not solid. If I were you...I know that her bedding is more important to me than the curtains. Pick that out first, then do the curtains so that you don't have to base the bedding around the curtains. But I'm not you, so you do your thing! Keep enjoying this fun time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK. This is the post I have been WAITING for! :) Such a smile maker. :) :) :) :) See... smiles. I told you! OK. Here comes my opinions...

    1. I think the rugs could look cool angled and all "I know I have two rugs on top of each other and I totally meant to do it and I love it... so?" I am picturing them at pretty much the same angle... just offset from each other. It could also be really cool completely random though.

    2. Those circle table/bookcase things. I am thinking paint them an orangey color with white on the inside! Or... if you want more subtle, do white with orangey on the inside. You could do green or blue if you wanted, but I love the orange color in that rug!

    3. I think the quote should go behind the crib. That's the mack daddy of walls, and the quote is the mack daddy design piece. You could do a fun gallery wall on the smaller wall with the green chair.

    4. Shelves... I LOVE the shelves that Young House Love did for their daughter's room. You know the ones... where there was a lip so stuff wouldn't fall and you could add books and stuff? Love that! You can totally make that. Or Drew can. That might be a fun blog post!!

    5. Curtains - I love color and pattern and being bold, so I LOVE the stripe idea... but I also like the idea that Stacie (right above me) had about waiting until you find the bedding you want and see how crazy town everything looks, and then finding curtains that bring it all together.

    6. Speaking of bedding... that bedding you posted is PRECIOUS! LOVE IT!

    7. This room is coming together, and looks SO good already!! I love it. I can't wait to see it finished! I can't wait to see Agent S in there! I can't wait! EEK! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am LOVING the nursery pics/ideas posts! I agree with the girls above about getting the crib bedding first & then do the fabric search for the curtains! Might be less headache doing it that way!?

    You have such fabulous ideas & it is lots of fun seeing you put them all together! Can't wait for the finished result!

    PS: Thanks for the "shout-out" :) I am loving that "marlo" set also! So pretty...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your style - can't wait to see more!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OK. This is the post I have been WAITING for! :) Such a smile maker. :) :) :) :) See... smiles. I told you! OK. Here comes my opinions...

    1. I think the rugs could look cool angled and all "I know I have two rugs on top of each other and I totally meant to do it and I love it... so?" I am picturing them at pretty much the same angle... just offset from each other. It could also be really cool completely random though.

    2. Those circle table/bookcase things. I am thinking paint them an orangey color with white on the inside! Or... if you want more subtle, do white with orangey on the inside. You could do green or blue if you wanted, but I love the orange color in that rug!

    3. I think the quote should go behind the crib. That's the mack daddy of walls, and the quote is the mack daddy design piece. You could do a fun gallery wall on the smaller wall with the green chair.

    4. Shelves... I LOVE the shelves that Young House Love did for their daughter's room. You know the ones... where there was a lip so stuff wouldn't fall and you could add books and stuff? Love that! You can totally make that. Or Drew can. That might be a fun blog post!!

    5. Curtains - I love color and pattern and being bold, so I LOVE the stripe idea... but I also like the idea that Stacie (right above me) had about waiting until you find the bedding you want and see how crazy town everything looks, and then finding curtains that bring it all together.

    6. Speaking of bedding... that bedding you posted is PRECIOUS! LOVE IT!

    7. This room is coming together, and looks SO good already!! I love it. I can't wait to see it finished! I can't wait to see Agent S in there! I can't wait! EEK! :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin