Saturday, March 26, 2011

Getting showered

The Dallas baby shower was wonderful and finally I can write about it!  Work was really hectic and I was going through writing withdrawals!


Anyway, the shower was casual and low-key and it went off without a hitch, which was just what I wanted.  It was really amazing to leave the planning to someone else with my only job being to enjoy myself.  Well, that and make vegan strawberry cupcakes.  And cake pops - sort of.


Saturday morning, we got up bright and early to clean the house and get ready for our guests.  Having the floors refinished really made a difference in cleaning time, as the dust just kind of sits on top of the floor and sweeping goes much more quickly.  My wonderful blog friend Gem was coming up with her husband and I wanted to cook for her.  It's kind of a thing now, since I cooked for her the last time she visited.  This time I found a recipe for vegan strawberry cupcakes and I got started early.  Thankfully it wasn't too hard.
Cut up some strawberries.
Puree them.
Mix the puree with the dry ingredients.
Get excited because they look like the picture!
Give them to your friend because you're so very very happy
she came all the way from Houston to your party!  
She really liked them and that made my day!
Brittani did everything, from getting the food to making the pompoms.
Kesha came over early and helped with the set up.
I seriously didn't have to do anything!
The big cake was lemon, the purple flower cupcakes were chocolate,
the yellow flower ones were carrot and the white frosting ones were vanilla.
I had all but the chocolate ones.  More than once.
Doug and Brittani even brought me flowers!
The DIY bug is rubbing off on Drew.
This formerly was a catch-all space for junk and he turned it into a bar.
He ran the lighting, built the shelves so the bottles would be at different heights,
and furnished everything himself.
Even though I won't be able to drink for the next year or so,
I have to admit it is a nice addition to the dining room.
Doug and Brittani talking with Susie Smith
and her husband.  You remember them, right?
They are seriously so nice!

We just hung out talking and laughing, which is exactly what I wanted.  We didn't really play any games, but they did leave advice cards for me which I really appreciated.  One of these days I'm going to make a baby book and it's all going in there.  Maybe that will be my labor activity!


Anyway, we had so much fun and we had a full house.  I think we had about 25 people?  The house was full of laughter and energy and it was such a great time! 


Now, the really interesting thing is, I barely got any clothes this time!  A lot of the people we invited were new parents themselves and they gave us the things that helped them in their first year which is was perfect!  It really was a great balance - at the Kansas shower she got her closet stocked and at this one, she got all the practical stuff!  It really was perfect!  Opening gifts was still a tiny bit awkward, but I had Drew next to me even though he refused to open even one!
He's so animated when he talks!  That also might have been the sangria.
I was practicing how to hold a baby - I don't quite have the hang of it.
Opening Gem's present - have I said how happy I was that you came?
Kristina was my very first blog friend and she MADE this quilt for me!
I mean, for the baby.  
The back side
Isn't it gorgeous and perfect and classic?  I love it so much!
I even got some Rock'n Green soap!
I was seriously so excited about this!
That reminds me, I should probably buy the diapers sometime soon.
The gift that always fits! 
Saving the best for last - my girlfriend Carolyn sent a present too!
Reading her sweet card
How amazing and beautiful is this blanket!
She hunted it down for the baby and it's so gorgeous!
I totally see some baby photo shoots on this fabulous blanket!

It's so funny though, the baby has these amazing gorgeous blankets but I don't want to let her use them because they're so pretty!  All I can think of baby bodily fluids all over them and I'm like, nope!  These are look but don't touch!  But I guess that's what they're for right? To get used and loved on and passed down?  Oh my goodness, what if my grandkids use this blanket?  How cool would that be!  You guys, I'm so seriously blessed with such amazing friends and this little baby is so very very loved.  You hear that little baby?  You see all these amazing things that wait for you?  I'm going to wrap her up in all these blankets and never ever put her down.  Gah, I'm so mushy!

ANYWAY!

This post is crazy long so I'll end here but next up!  How not to make cake pops!

11 comments:

  1. Aw D - everything looks lovely! You & Drew look so relaxed & content! LOVE the homemade & practical gifts! What wonderful items to treasure through the years! Miss S is so very lucky to be loved by so many people :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad I could be there. And I'm so glad you love the quilt! And I LOVE YOU!! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun shower! I loved all of it. And Drew did a GREAT job with that bar cabinet - wow!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOVE baby blankets! You can never get enough. Glad you got to enjoy your baby shower and I have to say, even the Vegan cupcakes look good! ;) hahah

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blankets are beautiful!!!! Your home, the shower, you- everything... FLAWLESS!!!

    I love that your guests went practical... gooooo them! ;)

    Matter of fact, I think I may steal your idea for no games... I'm really not into that. I want a social affair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am SO glad you liked the blanket! :) It looks like you had an amazing shower!! Now we're just waiting on Sofia! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I dont think you should buy diapers...well not right now. I think you should have a diaper shower at work...Diapers only! My sis had one, so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  8. looks like a wonderful / relaxing shower!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmmm cupcakes.

    Excellent! so happy you had a great time!

    Everything looked awesome and you looked Amazin!


    xoxox

    RO

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad everything turned out so well. My besties grandmother made jasmine a quilt. I haven't let her use it yet. I don't want her to mess it up.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Best baby shower I've ever been to! I thought you might like my weird little blank cards...I love to collect pretty, blank card sets--all of the "pre-made" ones are so corny. I am so thankful you invited me to be part of your celebration. Thanks for not mentioning that I ate the entire dozen in a period of 48 hours. And I feel a hole in my heart looking at the picture. Love you!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin