Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Musings

In my effort to show my team spirit and initiative, I always am up for whatever task they have for me at the office. While I love surfing the web and reading blogs, I kind of feel guilty that I'm rarely doing any work. (shhhh)

Now I know what addressing wedding invitations will feel like - the Marketing department is having an event and thought it would be super cool if the invitations were hand-addressed. With the decent handwriting that I have, I of course said yes when they asked me to do it. I just finished hand-addressing 150 invitations. I will either have 10 people at my wedding and I'll just call them or I'll pay the money to have them printed with a pretty font. My hand hurts!

If one more person calls telling me that the person they're trying to reach isn't there/won't pick up their phone/won't call them back, I'm going to lose it. These people are not chained to their desks and it is the law of the universe that you will call at the precise moment they are out of earshot and on their way to the bathroom/breakroom/someone else's office. That is not my fault.

It is so very very rude to keep people waiting - you don't know what's going on in their lives or how tightly they've scheduled themselves. When I was a yoga instructor I heard this: You start on time to honor the teacher, you end on time to honor the student. I can't stand it when a certain person in my office has appointments and keeps people waiting! For what? Are you trying to psych them out, make them nervous? I tell you they're here and you're expecting them, why do you consistently come out fifteen minutes late or more every time?! So unprofessional.

We're going to Paris in 21 days!! I'm so excited and I've started planning to make sure we see the things we want to. I just want to lay on the grass and look up at the Eiffel Tower - I don't even know if I'll be able to stand it. I may just burst with happiness. However, I'm not looking forward to the flight - I've never been immobile on a plane for that long. When I was a flight attendant, I worked a flight to Sydney, but that's so different. I'm not big on sleeping pills but it may be necessary.

I'm sensing a transition within my family where we're becoming adults and they're reverting somewhat. Spending as much time with them as I did when my uncle passed really highlighted this change. I find myself becoming very protective of my mother, telling her not to worry about things, that I'll handle them when I used to demand that she take care of things for me. Gawd, a house, a dog, taking care of my mother - unmistakable signs of being a grown-up! I wonder if everyone at this stage feels this way, like you're stepping into shoes that are a little too big but will fit soon enough. I don't know if I want to be ready for this.

I'm still not talking to my father - it still bothers me, but more like a back of the mind annoyance rather than a full-out disruption in my life. It's so sad - Drew and I are talking seriously about marriage and I've been going over and over who will walk me down the aisle. My mother? Possibly. My brother? I'm uncomfortable counting on him. Alone? All eyes on me, wondering where my dad is - don't know if I want that. I don't seek to replace my father and I feel having someone else walk in his place would be doing that. However, I can't stomach 'playing nice for company'. I've never been good at being fake and that's definitely not the occasion to try - I can only pray that we arrive at some resolution before that day comes.

I haven't been to a yoga class in forever - Drew gets up early to work out and I just had a lightbulb mid-sentence! Ok, so I prefer to work out at night as I am not a morning person. However, if I go to a yoga class at night that eats up all our together time so I've been going down to the gym with him in the mornings when I'd really rather go to yoga. My lightbulb is that I'll just go to a 6a class and that way I'll be able to spend time with him at night and not have to sacrifice my yoga classes. I love blogging! Sometimes you have to type it out to find the answers - it can get kind of crowded in my head ya know?

I think I want to try to go back to school this fall - I've been looking into nursing programs in the area and the more I look into it the more I want to do it. I bet I'd be a good nurse. Additionally, that will give me time for this company to transfer/promote me. You can't go anywhere for your first six months and I'll have mine in June. If they don't do anything or there are no open positions that I'd like I think nursing is a good plan B.

I found this amazing blog of this woman who has an $800 annual budget for her family - I had to link to it to find out more. She's all about the coupons and strategic shopping and I want to see what this is about. If she can do it, we can too. Right now, I'd bet we spend that in two months. I've already printed out some coupons for our shopping trip tonight...

Okay, the day is almost over and I have no more invitations to address, no more Easter (I mean spring) eggs to cut out - gotta love corporate America and their political correct-ness. I'm ready to close it up and get on home to my honey!

1 comment:

  1. Okay, I'm adoring that Jane4Girls blog. That is right up my alley at the present moment. I'm all over saving money right now.

    Paris?!? Yippee! Can't wait to hear about it!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin