Thursday, August 27, 2009

Eating for two

**For the moment, I'm going to talk about pregnancy and baby stuff because it's all I can think about. Soon, I'll get back to my regularly scheduled chaos.

I usually have decent eating habits - I try not to eat junk-food, I haven't had a soda in a while and I don't have the sweet tooth I used to. I don't use food to make myself feel better, and I always stop eating when I'm full. However, I don't eat regularly and I don't eat very balanced meals. The usual culprit is breakfast - I can't even function before ten am, much less eat so I usually just leave it and have lunch. Dinner is sometimes a box of noodles and that's it. From my modeling days, I've learned to ignore little stomach grumblings and from what I understand that's not the greatest idea when you're growing a human being from scratch.

I'm only six weeks in but already I've noticed that my eating habits are much different, namely I cannot ignore the hunger pangs. I wake up in the morning starving, but then a couple hours later, I feel sick to my stomach. I've been very lucky *knock on wood* that I haven't actually puked yet, but I sure do get the waves of nausea. I was driving to work (the bus makes me nauseated too) this morning and it hit me so hard I nearly started crying because I thought I was going to puke all over my clothes. I just took several deep breaths and was able to get through it, but it sucked. I tried to call Drew and have him talk to me to keep my mind off of things but apparently for him 'talk to me' means ask me a bunch of questions. He didn't understand my goal of keeping my mouth shut so I didn't vomit everywhere. Oh well.

I was walking to work and I could smell everything. The woman with way too much perfume. Someone smoking. The exhaust from the cars and buses. Dog pee. It was terrible. I tried holding my hand in front of my face but then I could smell my lotion on my hand and that didn't help either. I settled for taking really shallow breaths until I could get inside my building.

I'm munching on some almonds right now because even though I had two scrambled eggs this morning, I'm still hungry. I read that you're only supposed to up your calorie intake by 300 when you're pregnant but I don't know if that's accurate for me since I'm pretty sure I didn't eat enough to start with. But how are you supposed to eat more when the smell of things makes your stomach start doing the Wave? When I opened my bag of almonds, I could totally smell it - it's kind of weird.

What I wouldn't give for some dry plain crackers right about now.

8 comments:

  1. Girl I'm right there with you. I get up at 1am to eat, sometimes 4am. I'm hungry ALL THE TIME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! I am sooooo excited for you!! I hadn't read your previous post yet, so after reading this one I thought, am I missing something? Yes-you are pregnant! I hope everything goes well!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly - thank you so much! It was somewhat of a suprise but it's pretty much the best suprise ever!

    Keya - 1am? Damn! I'm not there yet, but I really hope my sleep stays uninterrupted for a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This IS the best surprise ever! Congrats again! I am tickled pink for you two. I cannot wait to find out what you're having :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just got caught up on your blog.. I threw up from 6-12 weeks with my first. ICK. I am naturally thin and didn't eat much either; and I lost 10 pounds in the first trimester thanks to nausea, morning sickness and smells. I ended up drinking a lot of those chocolate shakes in a can (what are they called?), smoothies and frozen lemonade. After 12 weeks it all went away, I put the weight back on and gained another 30. Yikes - I GAINED 40 POUNDS that time. I just now realized that.

    CONGRATS to you and Drew. Such exciting news. Enjoy every minute of your pregnancy. It's such a precious time.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tonya!

    Thanks so much! This week I'm feeling much better and haven't been as sensitive to smells which is a massive blessing - I swear, my eyes would cross at all the smells assaulting me at every turn!

    I go to the doctor next Tuesday and hopefully I'll get my first glance at my little Nugget! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This IS the best surprise ever! Congrats again! I am tickled pink for you two. I cannot wait to find out what you're having :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Tonya!

    Thanks so much! This week I'm feeling much better and haven't been as sensitive to smells which is a massive blessing - I swear, my eyes would cross at all the smells assaulting me at every turn!

    I go to the doctor next Tuesday and hopefully I'll get my first glance at my little Nugget! :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin