Monday, December 14, 2009

And so it goes


The big bosses had been in the office all last week and the week prior to go over the 2010 budget.  My boss had called us into her office to tell us that they were making cuts and to look busy, as if somehow that would make us immune to the cuts.  They had already spoken to her, saying that they didn't think she needed three people on her team, that maybe two people would be sufficient.  She fought for us, telling them that she didn't see how it would be possible to function with two, but apparently they thought differently.

Last Friday afternoon, she called me into her office.  At first, I thought I had gotten in trouble, and I went into defense mode.  But it wasn't that.

She started by saying "I'm sure you're aware that we've been making company-wide cuts."  Indeed I had.  As the receptionist, I had tried to transfer calls that morning to people that were no longer there - then I would call Kesha, who receives all the parking badges to confirm that these people are indeed gone.  Heads have been rolling in every department for the past month.  Yes, I was aware.  I just didn't think it would be me - Kesha and I had already had discussions where she was afraid it would be her.  After all, she was the secretary's secretary.  They'd HAVE to keep the receptionist at the corporate office.  I just forgot that she had more seniority than me.

"I thought our department would be spared and I lobbied for us.  Unfortunately, we have to eliminate a position."
"It's me, isn't it."
"I'm so sorry."

My boss is really great and I wasn't upset.  Actually, I think she was more upset than I was!  I actually found myself comforting her!  I even hugged her at the end.

It was not performance related at all (despite the blogging and the Bejeweled - shhh!) and I knew that.  Because otherwise, I might have handled things a little differently, you hear me?  Anyway, they're moving Kesha to the front desk and transitioning some of her duties away from her and they will distribute things to the current admins, although Kesha heard that the cuts aren't done and some of the admins won't make it.

My last day here is Friday.  I was given the option to leave last Friday but that would have made me ineligible for severance and all that.  And since I don't hate them and am not trying to burn bridges, I'm staying.  I was going on vacation from the 23-30th anyway so I'm just getting a couple of extra days.  With the severance and the vacation days I'll receive two more full paychecks and I'm eligible for unemployment.  So there's that.

So here's my take on what my good buddy GOD is doing here:

I've been at my company for a year.  To sum up the drama I've been through, see all my blog posts.  Haha, just kidding - like I'd make you go through all that nonsense.  I'll sum it up for you:
March 2008 - Meet Drew.  Everything starts awesome.
July 2008 - Stop talking to my dad.  Drama ensues.  Constant fighting with my brother.  Stress on my new relationship.
August 2008 - get fired for the very first time.  More stress on my relationship because getting fired hurts my ego.
December 2008 - start at my company after being unemployed for three months.  A mere eyeblink for some, but three months sitting on your boyfriend's sofa is not cool.
Stress about not talking to my dad is a constant nagging reminder in the back of my mind.
April 2009 - Fighting fighting fighting with Drew about getting a house.  Go to Paris.  Cry the whole way home (and I do mean the whole way - 10 hours off and on) because he said we should probably go our separate ways when we land.
May 2009 - We make up, but we get a house.  GET A DOG.  There are NO WORDS for the stress and strain that brought.  NONE.  I don't want to relive that.  Ever.  Almost split up - AGAIN.
August 2009 - Get pregnant.  We're not married.  We're not ready.  Fight about having to sell the house to afford the baby.  Realize it's nerves.  But still.
September 2009 - Fight about getting married.  Lots.
October 2009 - Get married.  The dust begins to settle.
October 21, 2009 - Have D&C to remove my dead baby.  Life sucks.
November 2009 - pick up the pieces and for real this time, the dust truly begins to settle.

Do you see all the stress and drama that I was going through in my personal life?  OF COURSE I needed a nothing job, something where I could just be a warm body.  And now that things are getting better - the dog is out of the puppy phase thank the Baby Jesus, I'm emotionally healing from the miscarriage (with lots of help), Drew and I are growing closer as a married couple, and my family situation has righted itself.

Well, my good buddy GOD has decided that I'm okay personally so it's time for me to do something about that professional life.  He knows that I would need the shove to get something done so He went on and helped me.  He is taking this job away so that I can focus on the next step with no distractions.  God's cool like that.

I was never meant to be a receptionist - this wasn't it.  The purpose for this job is done - I met Kesha, we became friends, I got some health insurance (I'm on Drew's now, thank God!  See how that works out!), I paid some bills, I had gainful employment while going through all that life stuff, and now it's done. 

I don't know what the next chapter holds, but y'all get a front row seat no matter what!  Since the computer we use is Drew's work computer I'll have to blog and look for jobs from my school's library.  But that's cool - it'll be nice to be back on campus.  I may even look for a job there!

A friend of mine works at a really nice restaurant on the weekends and will make an introduction for me if the unemployment doesn't end up covering things.  A friend of her's is a hostess at Nick and Sam's, so there's a possible opportunity there as well.  Working nights will keep me free to interview in the daytime, even though I'm not terribly jazzed about having an opposite schedule from my husband.

However, I'm thinking my good buddy GOD is going to handle things.  I just know it.  But just the same, if y'all could say a little prayer for me, I sure would appreciate it!


10 comments:

  1. girl...you'll be fine I just know it, and from the sound of it, so do YOU. Yours and my good buddy, God--really does know what he's doing!

    take care and keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes lawd you were going through some stressful times. I like how you put it in perspective with the timeline. It will get better. You are in my thoughts. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I got let go over a year ago chica and I felt the same way you did. Good luck in finding your way and I hope we get to stay along for the ride..

    ReplyDelete
  4. D, I am in awe of your outlook. Love you to pieces, and I know that God WILL be looking out for you. How could he not? :)
    And as usual, your post is speaking to me in ways that I needed.
    I will def be praying for your next chapter---whatever it may hold----that it be exactly what the Lord wants for you.
    Love you much,
    C.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry about the layoff, but as they say about your good friend God over there, when he closes a door, he opens a window. I hope your window gives onto a big bright beautiful sunny future :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about the layoff but everything happens according to his plan. Everything will work out and I'm sure your blessing is right around the corner. You have to grow throw things in order to appreciate when the battle is over. A year from now you'll probably look back at all of this and laugh. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats! That's a lot of growing...and you get to start everything off new come Jan. You are a strong woman and should be proud. Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Desiree! You are right - God has a plan in everything. He knows the road ahead and has BIG plans for you!!! I'll be praying that you find something you love and have passion for!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta love how He does things sometimes. I bet you'll be off to another great adventure soon. You know I'll be prayin for u!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey, Desiree! You are right - God has a plan in everything. He knows the road ahead and has BIG plans for you!!! I'll be praying that you find something you love and have passion for!!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin