Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Our poor car!

The one and only reason why I was looking forward to going back to work on Monday was so I could blog about our Thanksgiving vacation.  We had a great time and the posts are coming, but I have to share some sad news!

Sunday we were out running errands and getting our Christmas tree from Lowe's was on the list.  We went to the shopping center that we had gone to almost every weekend since we moved in - it's a non-descript spot, anchored by Wal-Mart, Best Buy and Lowe's.  We stopped at Wal-Mart to pick up some things and drove the car over to Ross to see what they had before heading over to Best Buy and finally Lowe's.

We were in Ross for about 30 minutes and we came out to this.


That's odd - it's cold and raining out so there's no way the window would have been left down.






Some horrible terrible no-good very bad person broke into our car!  I couldn't believe it - nothing like this has ever happened to either of us so we were both in shock. 

Luckily, there was nothing of value in the car and they didn't try to steal the car itself.  I mean, they wouldn't have gotten far since we have Lo-Jack - at least I don't think so.  I'm not really sure how Lo-Jack works.  Anyway, we stood outside in the freezing cold waiting for the police to arrive while I took pictures and Drew got on the phone with his insurance company.

The parking-lot security guard came by and of course saw nothing.  I don't blame him - I mean what do they really expect one man on foot to do?  If you're a bad guy all you'd have to do is watch where he walks, time it a bit and hit when he's as far away as possible.  The manager of Ross came out to tell us that he had it on tape AND that they'd been having a problem with break-ins!  He said that two employee cars had been broken into in the last two weeks.  I know they can't give out that kind of information, but still.  "Hi, welcome to Ross.  You better not stay long or your car might get broken into."

The police came and he went to Best Buy because they had cameras too and our car was half-way between the two stores.  Between them they saw that it was a white minivan that had parked a few spaces away from us.  They tried a couple of times to get out of the car but people kept coming by and finally when there was a lull, they broke out our window.  Thank God the window was tinted and it was the safety glass so it didn't completely shatter.  They did crack the frame and scratch the leather with whatever they used to break the window.  The wood grain got scratched up too.  All told, it was over $4000 worth of damage!  They're going to have to take apart the whole door to fix the window, custom order new leather for the seat, and probably replace the seat because glass got in the motor of the seat and now only one side of the seat moves forward and backward.  Can you believe that!  Thank GAWD for insurance!!

But DREW!  When he saw he car I thought for sure he was going to lose. his. shit.  I swear, that man constantly surprises me.  Just a few minutes ago, his impatience in Wal-mart was palpable, trying to navigate through all the people.  I was so glad we only got a few things and got the heck out of there.  Outside, in the freezing cold and drizzly rain, standing in front of his car with a busted-out window, he was laughing.  Not full-out busting a gut, but chuckling.  I asked him a ton of times if he was okay.  He just shrugged his shoulders and goes, "Shit happens."

I nearly passed out.  I was prepared for a full-gale temper tantrum and there he was, calmly talking to the insurance people, the Ross manager and the police.  I thought my chest would bust open with pride.  I know he was upset but he handled himself so extremely well - I think for the first time in our relationsip I was more mad than he was.  I didn't say much but in my head I was on a tirade.  How DARE they pick on him just because he has a nice car!  Why don't you stupid punks get a JOB and maybe you can have a nice car too!  Oh that's right, because you're PUNKS!  You SUCK!  Cowards!  ASSHOLES!

They asked us if we wanted to wait for someone to come out and see about getting fingerprints but it's not like we would be able to make them pay the damages on the car.  Besides, it was freezing cold, neither of us had jackets, it was raining anyway, and we just wanted to get home.  The police had the tapes from Ross and Best Buy and they could go after whoever did it. 

We're taking my car to that shopping center from now on.  Even though Honda Civics are among the top stolen cars, it blends in a little better.  Drew's car sticks out like a sore thumb in Wal-Mart parking lots.

Punks - I hope they know karma is a bitch.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin