Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Re-doing chairs sucks.

The other blogs make it look so easy.  Just pop those staples out, recover it with your fabric of choice and voila!  Brand new chair!  It's not - don't be fooled.  Let me be the PSA - if you're going to recover seat cushions, prepare yourself.  Because it sucks.

Back in June, we got a table and chairs for the breakfast nook.  I repainted the table and set about finding fabric to re-cover the seat cushions.  When I redid the seat cushion on the other chair, I bought some fabric intended for the breakfast nook chairs.  It sat there, for months and months and months, when finally, on Sunday, we finished recovering the the seats for the breakfast nook chairs.  Five months.  That's a mess.

Drew came in to help me because I had been whining for five months about re-doing my chairs - he offered to help if it would shut me up.  So we spent about three hours taking out twelve million staples from the three chairs that were left.  I had done one a week ago and was so defeated by the number of staples in the seat that I intended to leave it as it was.  Lucky for me, Drew is OCD and wouldn't allow one chair to be mis-matched so he gave me the motivation to finish them.


He was pulling them out very machine-like, assembly line style.  I told him not to go so fast, but he didn't listen - he stabbed himself with the screwdriver shortly thereafter.  My method takes longer but I don't get stabbed.  There's a lesson in that, people.


He didn't care and just wanted this project finished so I would quit whining.


After the twelve million staples had been removed from ONE of the seats.

I was very careful this time about making sure that the pattern of the cloth was nice and straight so this time they're not AS crooked.  However, there was a piece of felt between the seat cover and the seat itself that insisted on sticking to my fabric, making it very difficult to align the pattern.  There was some swearing involved.  Lots of swearing.

But, we finally did it.  Drew got the remaining three seat covers off in record time and the actual recovering of the seats went remarkably quickly.  I'm very happy with how they turned out and very grateful to my dude for lending a hand.  Thanks baby!


A before pic for reference. 

Drew doing his best bikini model impression.


Our lovely chairs - minus the bikini model.

So now we've got horizontal stripes on the walls, vertical stripes in the curtains, and chevron stripes in the chairs!  I got a mirror to hang between the cabinets in the breakfast nook and I picked up another mirror at a garage sale on Sunday that I'm going to refinish and put in there as well.  With all the tan, cream, and bone in the room it looks pretty formal - more formal than our dining room, actually.  But that's okay - it's fast becoming my favorite room in the house.  I'm really loving this whole 'feathering the nest' thing!

It's good for the soul...


No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin