Friday, January 15, 2010

Now we wait

Y'all are the most awesome people EVER!  Thank you SOOO much for the well wishes for Drew's job interview!  If you haven't seen it, he left his own thank you in the comments of the last post - go check it out.

The interview went really well.  He said it was more like a meet-and-greet, that they were telling him how things would be WHEN he takes the position.  He was meeting people he'd be working with and they were all excited for the him to come on board.  I'm sooo happy for him and I'm really excited for this next step.  Which is the HR paperwork.

They have to put together his offer package now.  Again, this is where it is much cooler for him than it is me.  For me, the extent of my 'offer package' is "This is your desk, over there is the bathroom, payday is every other Friday.  Don't piss off Maureen - she's evil."  For Drew, there will be talks of benefits, bonuses, relocation packages and even the possibility of a job for ME.  Of course I laugh at that last part because I am so not "(hiscompany)-material".  They are hardcore, intense, eat-their-young types of people.  Everyone in the industry knows that and I'm sooo not that way.  There isn't a competitive bone in my body.  It's just not in me.  You have something I want, I will not take it from you, I'll just go somewhere else and find something equal or better without bothering you.  I just don't/can't/choose not to get down like that.  And that's not how they play ball.  At his company, it's win or die.  Their salesforce is notorious for that.  His company routinely scouts for the best and brightest talent straight out of college - they really like atheletes or ex-military.  Then they put them through the wringer and only the strongest survive. 

Now for real, what y'all know of me do you REALLY see me as that type?  HA!  I'm all peace and love and tree-hugging hippie.  What do I know from competitive?  Let's just hug it out!

At any rate, he will have that opportunity to negotiate his terms and hopefully they'll be able to come to an agreement.  Drew was cautiously optimistic when I picked him up from the airport.  He knows this is only a step - if they come back with a lowball offer or say that we have to move ourselves out there, we'll have some issues.  We're not completely out of the woods yet.

I'm also waiting - now that we're officially trying to get pregnant, the waiting sucks. Out loud.  How in the world am I going to be able to do this for any length of time?  It seems that everyone around me is having babies except me.  My girlfriend Diana just had her baby on New Year's Eve, my best friend Doug and his wife are expecting their baby any day now.  And of course, the blogosphere is a veritable baby FACTORY, with everyone about to pop.

I know that I'm fixating because I don't have anything else to occupy my mind.  Especially now because I'm not as actively looking for work.  If we leave in the next couple of months, which is a very distinct possibility, there's no point in looking for a full-time job.  And this is only the first month!

I was depressed yesterday - it got worse when my dad called to tell me my god-brother and his wife just had their baby.  I'm super happy for all of them but I can't help but wonder and yes, whine about when will it be my turn.

Logically, getting pregnant right now wouldn't be the best thing.  If we do move, being unable to sort, lift, load and facilitate things due to morning sickness etc. would be a drag.  Especially if Drew has to go out to San Jose immediately and I have to handle things at home. 

It doesn't stop me from wanting it though - I laid in bed most of the day, partly due to feeling sorry for myself, partly due to PMS that is particularly kicking my ass this month.  My period is coming - I'm sure of it and I'm not happy about it.

HOWEVER, BIG points to my hubby!  I called him all depressed, whining to him and he heard me!  He came home with some books (which will give me something to do during the day that doesn't involve spending money, since I've read all the books in our house many times) and my favorite wine.  How awesome is that?  When he gets it right, he totally gets it right!  We had our bottle of wine, ate some mac and cheese, and watched an episode of House on our AppleTV, which is the coolest thing we've purchased. 

We gave up cable for the AppleTV which is like a giant DVR.  You pay for what you want to watch when you want to watch it.  Right now I'm hooked on Modern Family and each episode costs $2.  Movies are $4 and if it's in Blockbuster it's on AppleTV.  It keeps you accountable and no more $160/month cable bills!  Ok, that's my commercial for AppleTV.  Back to regularly scheduled programming.

Drew and I had a great night and I'm crossing my fingers that things go well with the interview.  He's already gotten great feedback from his dude at Corporate and that's a great thing.  I'm hoping they'll have an offer put together by the end of this month. 

It's only been a day and the waiting is killing me!


4 comments:

  1. I'm excited to see what they come up for Drew. Although, a little selfish portion of me doesn't want you to move :( I know, you can hate me now.

    And props for Drew for hearing you. He's getting it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YAY D&D! I can honestly say that I think you often underestimate yourself. I've read all your posts and there were many things you once thought you couldn't do that you somehow achieved. I say this to say.. don't minimalize yourself. your more of a powerhouse than you know. I don't think Drew would have chosen you as his wife if he didn't see that spunky,smart, fighter that you appear (to me) to be. So when Drew gets the new job and you move to Calif. modify& tailor your resume to get you into the door in a job you want but that you think you may be a tad bit under qualified for.. take a chance on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel like I can come here and be brutally honest (cause I like you). I don't want you to move either! I'm from Fort Worth and I had already decided that on one of my trips back home you and I would get together and meet for brunch or drinks or something. I just knew it!

    I know how you feel about getting pregnant. My husband and I have decided to "officially" try but we're in a really temporary place right now....and like you, I got laid off too.....over a year ago for me. So you start wondering (okay *I* start wondering) "will I ever get a job?" "How will we pay for a baby if we're broke and living with relative?" "What if I NEVER get a job? We'll NEVER have kids?" Paranoia has officially set in. And I wish I could say all this on my own blog but I think people will think I'm crazy because they don't understand what it's like to TRY to have a baby and be scared and watch everybody around you just pop em out.

    Now that that's out of the way....I really hope he gets the job because it sounds like you guys would really love it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY D&D! I can honestly say that I think you often underestimate yourself. I've read all your posts and there were many things you once thought you couldn't do that you somehow achieved. I say this to say.. don't minimalize yourself. your more of a powerhouse than you know. I don't think Drew would have chosen you as his wife if he didn't see that spunky,smart, fighter that you appear (to me) to be. So when Drew gets the new job and you move to Calif. modify& tailor your resume to get you into the door in a job you want but that you think you may be a tad bit under qualified for.. take a chance on yourself. :)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin