Thursday, June 25, 2009

And it don't stop...

We have a breakfast nook off the kitchen that is pretty much the most awesome room in the house. When we first saw it at the open house, I turned to Drew and said 'this is it. We live here. Tell these people to get out of my house.' The stripes - I fell in love with the stripes!

Remember the washer and dryer we sold for $175 and the table we bought for $150? Yeah, it was awesome. Well, this is the table that we got with that money. It wasn't too bad as it was but the wood didn't really match anything. And now that I'm all DIY up in here I couldn't wait to paint it.

I just used the same paint (Valspar Pale Bloom) and this time it went much faster as I already had everything I needed. Drew got the idea to put a pearly finish on the top so that was the only thing I had to get from Lowe's but at least I have that now to do the chairs.
Here's the table finished and in the breakfast nook. I'm still getting a handle on the indoor-no-flash photography thing but you get the idea. I think it came out really nicely! Well, of course we needed chairs. The table came with two matching ladder back chairs but we needed four and the breakfast nook is too small for two chairs of one style and two of another. So back to craigslist!!

Yesterday we found some really nice ones and called the people to go have a look at them. They were a great fit and both of us liked them so we went ahead and got the chairs. Even though the seats fold down in Drew's car it's still not huge - he's got that whole sexy sportscar thing going on - so I wasn't sure how we were going to do it. I should have know my engineer would get it figured out! We got all four chairs in the sexy sportscar and had room for groceries and a trip to Crate and Barrel to boot!

We got the chairs unloaded and into the breakfast nook and I couldn't be happier! No more eating in the kitchen standing up! Previously, we'd eaten in the dining room on the patio table and while it was functional, it didn't feel right. Dinner in the breakfast nook was much more cozy and intimate and I loved it! I'm still on the fence as to whether or not I'm going to redo the seat cushions - they're raw silk and pretty cool but the color palette is a bit limiting. It's kind of peachy with light blue flecks which would nix strong bold colors (which I love) on the table. Anyway, I'm still not sure what to do with the top of the table but wine is never a bad accessory!
We tried placemats but those were too overpowering; no runners because Maya will pull it off, so I'm thinking chargers. Drew just wants a centerpiece because he doesn't understand leaving plates on the table that you're not using - 'that's what cupboards are for.' With the pearly top I could so something iridescent and then maybe cover the seats in a solid watered silk - I don't want stripes because I don't want them to compete with the walls. We'll see - I'm just happy to sit at a table like a civilized human being! If you have any thoughts please let me know!

2 comments:

  1. Very nicely done! Random question... is is still a breakfast nook if your eat lunch and dinner there? Kinda like the whole drive on a parkway and park on a driveway thing... Love the table and chairs. And can I just say that your house sounds and looks awesome. A homeowner's dream...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! Hmmm, what do you call it if you eat more than breakfast in there? The cozy nook? It's got a bar-type thing at the other end - the lounge? Before we got the table Drew wanted to do sofas and low tables. I told him we are not bringing the club into our home! We'll have a table like normal people!

    Thanks for the compliments - I'm totally winging it as I go! :-)

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin