Friday, March 20, 2009

Going home

My uncle passed yesterday around 5p - my brother called and told me it was done. Unfortunately, it was pretty traumatic for all involved. My brother said it took about 30 minutes - everyone got to be at his bedside and I'm sure those were the longest 30 minutes in existence. He said my mom had to leave because it got to be too much, but he stayed till the end. My heart goes out to him - he was really young when my grandmother died and I'm pretty sure he's never been at anyone's deathbed. I know I haven't and I can only imagine the intensity of that moment. I'm not sure if I'd be able to handle it. He said he could feel it when my uncle left.

My poor mom, she called a little bit after my brother did and she was really broken up - I nearly started crying just hearing her voice. I'm leaving today after work, which means I won't get to KC til two in the morning or something like that. I wish I didn't even have to come to work today but with only three days of sick time I want to use them next week for the services.

I'm so thankful his kids are all married - I couldn't imagine having to go through it without the support of a spouse or significant other. I'm thankful I have Drew - even though there isn't much he can do, he's there with the hugs for me and that's plenty. His mom even called and expressed her sympathy - he has such a good family. I'm so thankful for them.

I'm staying with my best friend - we decided that staying with her would eliminate the majority of opportunities for my dad to be a punk and thus cause less stress for my mom. I'll just be with her from sunup to sundown and sleep over at my best friend's. My brother said my dad didn't say much and wasn't really 'there', but then again that's pretty much what I expect from him. It's nice to know he doesn't disappoint.

Anyway, if you follow or happen across my blog please say a prayer for my mom and my family.

Thank you.

3 comments:

  1. Desiree, I'm so sorry. And please tell Clint that I'm sorry, too. I'll be praying for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much - you're so kind...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very sorry for your loss. I will say a prayer for your family.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin