Monday, March 16, 2009

What have I done?

Last week I got a group email informing us about a stair-a-thon. My building (right) has 53 floors and they're having a stairclimb for the American Lung Association. I thought it would be a really cool thing to do and a way to get to know the other people in my office. So my overenthusiastic self responds to this group email asking who wants to form a corporate team!?!? I got some response from it, so now I think I'm in. What have I gotten myself into?

I'm no runner - I'm a yogini. I don't push my body, nor do I punish it. However, I'm great with the breath and I've got huge thighs and big fat backside so I should have no problem climbing a bunch of stairs, right? Of course, 53 flights of stairs is a bit different from 10 or so steps that I would normally take if I were 'taking the stairs'. But I'm really excited about this! I've never done anything like it before, it's for a good cause and it's going to feel so great when I make it to the top. Now, I have no intentions of running the stairs, all I want to do is get to the top without having a heart attack!

So this morning, I started my training (cue Rocky music). We got up at 5:20a which more than an hour and a half before I would normally even think about waking up most normal mornings. Drew and I took the elevator to the second floor and starting our climb to the 21st floor. He took off running while I stayed behind, slow and steady. This being my first time, I just wanted to see if I could do it without passing out. I made it to the 16th floor before I started breathing hard, which became painful because the stairwell was cold and I was sucking in that cold air - my throat is still a little tingly.


After that, we went down to the gym and I got on the stair machine - the one with the rotating stairs. That thing is evil - I couldn't even do it ten minutes! I knew I had reached my limit and I sat on the floor waiting for Drew to finish the stair-stepper machine. Then, we went over to the mat to do some abs - this was a piece of cake compared to that machine! My thighs were shaking so badly I was glad I was already laying down. While Drew did all his abs, I mainly laid on the floor listening to my iPod. I love my music - I usually put it on shuffle and it's like listening to the best radio station ever!

We finally came upstairs around 6:40 and while Drew was in the shower, I made our lunches and bopped around to my songs. At 7a, when I'm usually just waking up, I was in the shower getting ready for the day. So it's almost 1:30 and I haven't crashed yet, which is suprising. I thought I'd be crashed out by 11a - I honestly feel pretty good. But just like I told Drew, it's only the first day. We'll see how I'm doing at the end of the week.

The stair-a-thon is May 16 - far enough away that I can get ready for it, but not so far that I feel like it'll never get here. I'm pretty excited and I think it will be a lot of fun! Stay tuned y'all!

2 comments:

  1. How exciting! I've never even been in a building with 53 flights of stairs. How very "Kansas" of me, I know. :) Good luck, and I'm pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How exciting! I've never even been in a building with 53 flights of stairs. How very "Kansas" of me, I know. :) Good luck, and I'm pulling for you!

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin