Wednesday, March 18, 2009

So far so good

I'm rather encouraged by my teeny bit of fitness progress. For three days now, I've been able to get up and have a morning workout. Yesterday, I was a little tired around 3p but I think that had a lot to do with the fact that I was bored out of my mind at work! This morning we got up a little bit later (6a) and that seemed to work. I had time to have a decent little workout and even eat breakfast! I'm sorry if that sounds really mundane, but these are things I practically never do so I'm totally childlike in my wonder!

Now for the latest in the house saga - Sunday we went driving around to look at single family homes in areas we could see ourselves living. In driving through a particular neighborhood, we noticed a really cute house that was open. With no real agenda, we stopped to check it out - I guess Sundays are big for open houses. Anyway, we walked into this house and it was amazing! We wouldn't have to do anything to it. They had taken really good care of the house and it was totally our style and I was really excited about it. We had been looking for a house that would 'blow my skirt up' and this was it! Without being too obvious, we went outside and called our realtor right then. Luckily, he had some free time and was able to come over right away. He loved the house too! So as I type this, he and Drew and putting together the papers for the initial offer. There are still some hoops to jump through but not nearly as many as with the townhouse - apparently single family homes are easier to finance than townhouses. I don't know the particulars - I know I should but when they start talking real estate and lenders and mortgages my head starts to hurt.

We're leaving the apartment at the end of this month - it's been really difficult living out of boxes and I'm so thankful we'll have a measure of normalcy soon. A friend of ours has graciously allowed us to use the bottom floor of his (totally awesome) townhouse for the month of April and if all goes well we could be in the house by May. I'm praying so hard for this one - this house is absolutely perfect for us! The neighborhood is just wonderful, it's close to the city and there's a yoga studio less than two miles away! I'm trying not to let my hopes get too high just in case, but I really like this house.

In other news, I'm learning how to compromise! It definitely does not come naturally and is a difficult learned skill. I think I'm more selfish than most - ok, I know I'm more selfish than most. I have the hardest time 'giving in'. Drew has been wanting a dog for the longest time and I have been adamantly opposed. I didn't grow up with an animal so I'm not accustomed to them at all. However, after much discussion, we came to an agreement (yea us!). If we had a fenced-in yard, and I can get a tattoo (he dislikes them as much as I dislike dogs, and I love them as much as he loves dogs), then we can get a dog. He agreed! I'm so excited - I've been wanting another one since forever, but because he doesn't like them, I haven't done it. But we reached a compromise! And I wasn't even scheming - I just thought about ways that we can both be happy about this. A tattoo would make me happy and they're about as permanent as a dog in our lives, so I think that's a good balance.

See, I'm learning about this relationship stuff!

3 comments:

  1. That is so funny because I've been wanting a tattoo also, and Johnny despises them. Thinks they're trashy. I've wanted one since I was 18, and have decided that I'm going on my bday this year, with his blessing or not! Maybe I should make a compromise like you two did? What kind are getting and where? Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wanted a star on my foot since I was 17 and I finally got it when I was 25. It hurt but I loooove it! It's perfectly positioned (top of left foot between fourth and pinky toe) and I have zero regrets - a dime covers it so it's not even that big.

    My next one I was going to get when I graduated from college in Dec. 07 but I didn't have the money at the time. I should have done before I met Drew. ;-) It's Isaiah 41:10 - Fear not, for I am with you. I want it done in Aramaic, which is the language that Jesus spoke. I'll probably get it on the outside of my right foot - I didn't want a Bible verse in the 'tramp stamp' area! :-) I sent off for the authentic translation and everything - so many people get tattoos in foreign languages and it doesn't mean anything and I definitely didn't want that!

    If you want one you should totally go for it - a tattoo is a representation of something you believe in so strongly that it burns itself on your skin. Of course a star may not fit that exactly, but I wanted it for many years so that counts too.

    I read your blog a while back and you were wanting a Jayhawk tattoo. Do you still?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wanted a star on my foot since I was 17 and I finally got it when I was 25. It hurt but I loooove it! It's perfectly positioned (top of left foot between fourth and pinky toe) and I have zero regrets - a dime covers it so it's not even that big.

    My next one I was going to get when I graduated from college in Dec. 07 but I didn't have the money at the time. I should have done before I met Drew. ;-) It's Isaiah 41:10 - Fear not, for I am with you. I want it done in Aramaic, which is the language that Jesus spoke. I'll probably get it on the outside of my right foot - I didn't want a Bible verse in the 'tramp stamp' area! :-) I sent off for the authentic translation and everything - so many people get tattoos in foreign languages and it doesn't mean anything and I definitely didn't want that!

    If you want one you should totally go for it - a tattoo is a representation of something you believe in so strongly that it burns itself on your skin. Of course a star may not fit that exactly, but I wanted it for many years so that counts too.

    I read your blog a while back and you were wanting a Jayhawk tattoo. Do you still?

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin