Friday, March 27, 2009

Poppin pills




I love having friends who are doctors. Even though I'm very much into natural healing and natural remedies, I am not above a Tylenol when the occasion calls for it. I just have to be in agony to do it and last night definitely qualified. I normally drink 64 oz of water daily and I was hard-pressed to swallow even one mug of water all day. I only ate soup for lunch and dinner for the past three days and it was beyond painful to tolerate that. 
Finally, I called a friend of ours and asked him to call in a z-pack for me. My honey went out and got it for me and I popped both of them upon his return. I went straight to bed and woke up feeling a million times better. It was much easier to swallow and the body aches were almost gone! As the day draws to a close, the body aches have disappeared and I can swallow again like a normal human being! I still have a tiny headache when I cough but overall I'm feeling normal again. I do not understand hypochondriacs - who in the world would get pleasure from feeling ill? I know it's the attention they're after but gawd, there are better ways to go about it. This little three-day bout has me thanking my lucky stars that this is as bad as it usually gets. I've never broken a bone, never had major surgery, and I haven't stayed overnight in a hospital since I was a baby. **knocking on wood**

Best of all, I won't be sick for our anniversary! We're going to a cooking class at the same fabulous restaurant he took me to for my birthday. We get to work with the master chef and afterwards we're having a four-course lunch complete with wine pairings! I'm really excited but more so for Drew - he loves cooking and this is going to be heaven for him. After that we have a hockey game - he grew up playing hockey and we got tickets to several games this season. It's going to be a great day and I'm so happy that I'll feel well for it.

In addition, we're going to unpack most of the boxes in the apartment. Since we'll definitely be there for at least a month and the manager decided not to be silly and raise our rent $500, we'll stay. I'm glad about that - even though our friend (the doctor) was going to let us stay at his townhouse, I don't ever feel right imposing on other people. Of course, the funny thing is if any of my friends needed to stay in my house I would let them in a heartbeat. I'd give my friends the shirt off my back but would feel weird asking the same from them. At any rate, I'm glad we get to stay in our apartment and we can unpack our stuff. Living in boxes and suitcases is unsettling on a subconcious level. In some form or fashion, I think we all crave order and stability.

So we get to stay in our house, the anniversary is tomorrow, I'm feeling better and I'm wearing new jeans! I got them in Kansas - my body shape is different now and it's gotten difficult to find jeans that fit without having alterations. I just can't reconcile paying $80 or more for a pair of jeans and turning around and having to pay another $30 so they fit right! So when I found a pair that fit on the first try, I snatched them up! They're perfect and I don't have to do anything to them!

Not a bad start to the weekend, I'd say...

1 comment:

  1. I've read a couple of your posts where you refer to "hypochondriacs"...let me back up by saying fisrt how much I love your blog and your way of just putting it all out there...the good, the bad and the ugly...you say what so many only have the courage to think. Back to your idea of "hypochondriacs". I am one. I see my doctor as often as I see some co-workers. It has absolutely nothing to do with attention...but a real fear that something in my body will betray me someday...because how can I be so lucky to have the amazing life that I do have. Something has to go wrong I think...and I feel by checking out every little something that feels different in my body, I will out smart some horrible potential for something to go wrong inside. It's not attention for all of us who are "hypochondriacs". But a real life fear...I just needed to spew...and perhaps give you a glimpse to the other side. At the same time...as you have mentioned..."this is your house" and we are all entitled to our own opinions in our own houses.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin