Wednesday, March 10, 2010

A good hair day, a Halti and some fresh air

After I took about five deep breaths once we left the vet, Maya and I drove straight to PetSmart to get a harness for her.  We've struggled in the past to find the perfect one for us without a lot of luck. The Gentle Leader left blisters on her nose and the Easy Walk harness left sores under her arms.  A standard harness just meant that she used her body to drag me around instead of her neck.  At 85 pounds and me weighing.....only a little bit more, I'm no match for her.
Not my dog, just a Google image of the Gentle Leader.  The noose-like thing under her jaw never stayed put, which caused the part around her nose to slip and slide giving her terrible blisters.  BAD Gentle Leader, NO!!

I needed something padded around the nose and that didn't act like a noose around her mouth.  The Halti works much better for us.  It's padded on top and is a loose loop around her nose unless she gets stupid, at which point you pull the leash to close the loop and get her attention.  I also got a shorter leash for her.  The 6-foot one was too much to hold.  I never let her get six feet away from me so I was constantly looping it up to make the leash shorter.  That sucked, since it felt like I was carrying a bundle of rope in addition to wrangling a pulling, jumping muscular puppy.  Walks were not fun.

My baby girl in her head gear.  
She looks like a nerd but I can handle walking her now.

The Halti works like a horse's bridle - you control the head, you control the animal.  I'm not saying everyone should get one, but the Halti gave me a good day with my dog so I'm keeping it.

I also took a shower and did my hair.  It doesn't sound like much, but when you're home by yourself all day every day, you don't have much incentive to keep up appearances.  I experimented with a curl lotion I'd had in the cabinet since forever.  After checking the ingredients on Teri's website (which is the coolest thing ever, by the way) I put some in my hair after the conditioner and did my regular wash and go.
I have no idea how long I've had this but it still works!
Just look at the hair people.  Not the fluorescent yellow skin, the rabbit eyes, the lightbulb forehead, the eyebrows in need of waxing, the eyebags or the weird expression.  And now I've sufficiently picked myself apart so you don't have to.  You're welcome.  I was too impatient to fix all that and take a better picture because it's about the hair y'all!

After my hair dried a little bit, I put on Maya's headgear and took her for a walk.  It was 73 degrees out, I could smell my yummy conditioner with each breeze, and my dog wasn't trying to pull my arm out of socket.  We walked and I took deep breaths and cleared my mind.  It did wonders for my mental state.  And thank you all for your kind comments - it did so much to lift my spirits!!

I'm still working through some things but as I'm sure you can attest, when you've got a good hair day on your side you have just a little more strength to make it through to the next day. 




7 comments:

  1. really thought that said "a haiti and some fresh air"

    I was confused then I read on and still brushed by the word and then realized noooooooo "HALTI!"

    whew.. its late..off to bed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also thought you put a Haiti. It is also time for me to go to sleep.

    A-got-damn that curl lotion looks magnificent on you! Don't tempt me please, I don't need any complications past conditioner!

    Gem

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are beautiful- no need for the pick apart. Women are too hard on themselves (I know- I do the same thing.)

    Anywho, glad you were able to get something not hurtful that still controls Maya. I'm sure she loves you more for that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your hair looks great! What is your regimen for your Wash n Go or steps you do to achieve your look? Your hair is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. First off....I thought you said Haiti too. LOL

    Secondly....YEAH WHAT SUNNY SAID! No more picking on yourself. You are absolutely gorgeous and so is your hair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lol girl!!! You made me laugh so hard this time! I had to walk my dogs on a leash in Germany and I had a really hard time trying to walk two dogs at a time, specially when they saw another dog or a kid around, I learned how to walk them properly with Cesar Millan's instructions and wow, great improvement! But now after a while of not walking them on a leash its really cool to just walk with them in the woods while they run free but always close to me =) I am definetely going to look for that curl defining lotion! I need it so bad, I've tried too many things and any of them work as well. You look pretty even with rabbit eyes and lightbulb forehead girl ^.~ You're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lol girl!!! You made me laugh so hard this time! I had to walk my dogs on a leash in Germany and I had a really hard time trying to walk two dogs at a time, specially when they saw another dog or a kid around, I learned how to walk them properly with Cesar Millan's instructions and wow, great improvement! But now after a while of not walking them on a leash its really cool to just walk with them in the woods while they run free but always close to me =) I am definetely going to look for that curl defining lotion! I need it so bad, I've tried too many things and any of them work as well. You look pretty even with rabbit eyes and lightbulb forehead girl ^.~ You're gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin