Tuesday, March 30, 2010

No news is.....

you tell me.  Right now, I'm not feeling all that positive.  I don't know why I thought things would progress as they did last time because thus far, it is nowhere near the same.  The biggest difference is that this time, I found out much earlier.  Originally, I thought this would be a good thing but I'm rapidly discovering that the earlier you find out, the more maddening the whole thing becomes.  


Since it's so early, I haven't had the same level of pregnancy symptoms I had the last time.  I've been a little hormonal, my boobs have been a little sore and I've been a little sick to my stomach on occasion.  If I didn't know I was pregnant I would certainly attribute it to something else - being hungry, Drew upsetting me, an upcoming period.  But the increasingly dark lines on the fifth test I've taken say otherwise - for now.  The one thing that I can't attribute to anything else is the need to pee all the freakin time.  Sometimes I have to get up in the middle of the night to pee - like I did at 4:20 this morning.


I woke up out of a dead sleep with the urge to pee accompanied by a noticeable cramp.  Just one - it wasn't an ache, it didn't get worse or better, it simply got my attention.  Each of the times I was pregnant before I felt what I determined to be the implantation cramp before I missed my period but nothing after that point - until now.  Worried, I got up to investigate.


I went to the bathoom, wiped and there was a brownish discharge on the tissue.  It scared the ever-loving shit out of me.  I burst into tears, cleaned up and sat on the bathroom floor crying.  I was convinced that I was miscarrying and I cursed the irony that we were going to the doctor for our 6-week appointment in just a few hours.  I cried that I didn't even get as far as I did last time.  I sobbed, feeling that this confirmed that something is in fact wrong with me.


I crawled back in bed, fell back to sleep and proceeded to have a horrible nightmare about miscarrying.  There was blood everywhere and I couldn't do anything.  I observed myself as I stood in the corner and cried.  Finally Drew woke up around 7:30 and I whispered to him that I was cramping and spotting.  I cried and asked him why this was happening to me and 'I guess we don't have to go to the doctor anymore.'  I asked him to bring me my phone so I could cancel my appointment.


I used my phone to consult Dr. Google and his nurse, WikiAnswers.  They were of no help:  'Cramping and spotting in early pregnancy is completely normal.  Except when it's not.'  All the  things I read said that regardless, I need to see my doctor.  Fine - it's probably better that we get this over with so I can have the surgery this week anyway.


It was with this sunshine-y attitude that we went to the doctor.  I spent the entire morning preparing for the worst and I was dreading the moment she would tell me it didn't take - again.  Of course we had to wait a ridiculously long time in her office - it's not like we could get seen right away!  Oh no!  The torture must be dragged out so it's as painful as possible!  Almost 45 minutes after we arrived, we finally got taken back.


The mood was much different than last time - less giddiness and small talk.  I peed in the cup for them (it seems that's all I do anymore) and waited in our room for my doctor.  She walked in saying, 'Well, don't let anyone tell you you guys have a fertility problem!'  I didn't share her sentiment - so what we got pregnant again quickly.  If I can't hold them, I'm nothing but a one-trick pony.  It means nothing.


However, she was very kind and understanding, knowing that I was a nervous wreck.  She's going to have a look at my progesterone levels this time around - I guess that's the bonus you get when you've had a loss.  Yippee.  That meant bloodwork.  After all was said that could have been said, we went to the ultrasound room.  No more stalling.


From my calculations based on my last period, I should be six weeks today.  My doctor and the sonographer said that since it was so early they might not be able to see anything.  They were right.  There was a gestational sac, but it was so small that the machine couldn't even date it.  According to the sonographer, this means that I'm not six weeks - more like five to five and a half.  According to ME, it could also mean that there's nothing in there to see.  I asked her about the probability that it was a blighted ovum, but she said it's too early to even determine that.  I don't buy it though.  Shouldn't you be able to see something even at 5 weeks?  Shouldn't the machine be able to measure something at five weeks?  


This is why you shouldn't go to the doctor until you think you're at least eight weeks.  By then, you can see something without having to squint and they would be able to definitively tell if nothing is there.  Any earlier and you're guessing, and that's enough to make you crazy.


However, there is still a chance that I am indeed pregnant.  There's still a chance that the cramping and spotting are harmless, even though it's scary as shit.  I haven't had any more cramps like this morning and the spotting isn't bright red, which is a very bad sign.  I know I have to be positive - Drew and my other friends say that since I didn't cramp last time and lost it, maybe the cramping is a good sign.  That maybe the little dude is moving in nice and snug, nailing pictures to the walls and bringing in furniture because he's going to stay a while.


I just wish I knew.  I wish that when she did the sonogram I could have seen a little sign that said, "Hi Mom!  Everything's okay and I'll see you in November!"  That would have been nice.


Instead I continue to wait.  My doctor is supposed to call tomorrow with the results of my hormone levels and she talked about me coming back in a week to do another ultrasound.  I'm not too jazzed about that - I'd rather wait two weeks so there will be something to see.  Then again, if there isn't anything I'd rather know sooner than later.  I definitely don't want a repeat of last time!


This whole thing is not easy and I wanted to thank you all for your kind words and thoughts.  I don't feel as alone in this and I just know that things will be different this time, no matter the outcome because of your support and caring.  


Thank you, thank you, thank you!  You guys are the best!


8 comments:

  1. i know its practically useless to say it (almost as useless as saying it to a student who hasn't studied before an exam) but try to relax a little bit. after all, what happens, happens, and you can't really do anything to change it. but what you CAN do it try to create an atmosphere in yourself that it as positive as possible. i know that sounds like hippie nonsense, but i do believe in a link between mental and physical health (it shows when people get chronic problems when they're stressed or nervous, like acne, or ear infections, or back pain... whatever). so in order to make sure that little baby really does get nestled in there and plan on staying a while, try to be relaxed, and calm, and positive, and hopeful, and make your belly the best possible place that little guy (or gal!) could ever hope to be! :) good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really really praying that you have a little one in your tummy because this would make you sooo happy!!!!!

    This sounds like a scary process and I really appreciate how candid you are about sharing your experience with the world like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm rooting for you! Try to stay positive! Such a hard situation, but you are going to make it through it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. D - I would have to agree that at 5-5 1/2 weeks that you can't see the heartbeat yet - based on personal experience. I was told that the heart isn't "formed" yet but you can usually see it on US by your 6th week & be able to hear the HB by your 8th week so don't give up hope just yet. Your HCG level & progesterone results will be a good determination of how things are going thus far. I am sending thoughts & a prayer that you get high numbers and that all goes well these next few weeks! Hugs...HT

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a very brave and beautiful person to share all of your desires, thoughts and feelings to us. You deserve everything you hope and want for in life. You are in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Desiree,
    I found your blog through a comment you left on a "Clover Lane" post about miscarrige. I too had a miscarriage in October and am hoping to get pregnant again. It was so encouraging to pop over to your blog from that comment you left and see that you had in fact gotten pregnant again. I have been checking your blog since and will be praying for your baby to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yeah, the study you're in is a blessing and a curse in that regard...the waiting game SUCKS. I agree with Julia with sending positive mommy vibes even though I know you're probably already sending little messages to your lil' Desidrew (that's what I'm naming it for now). I used to wonder why doctors didn't see women until at least 6 weeks preg (but she's pregnant! She needs to know things!), but I understand now.

    Gem

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin