Friday, March 12, 2010

The year of the dog

Maya had her birthday on Wednesday.  I meant to be a good dog-parent (I can't believe I just said that) and do this post on Wednesday, but it just didn't happen.  At least I'm in the birthday week right?


When I finally caved and decided that we could get a dog, Drew and I drove to Dublin, TX to visit the breeder just after the puppies had been born.
One of these fat piggies was coming home with us
I was partial to the lighter ones but Drew leaned toward the dark ones.  
He likes his women dark - jealous, I guess.
When she'd been weaned, Drew went to get her.  
He sent me this from his phone - he was so giddy that day.
Her very first picture at home.
I was only able to hold her like this for a few weeks.  
She grew like a weed!
She was always a happy puppy.
Why couldn't she have stayed this size?
Very quickly, she got acclimated to the house by peeing and pooping everywhere and chewing on anything we could shove in her mouth.  We were very fortunate in that she never destroyed any furniture.  The only thing that suffered is one corner of our bed - thank heaven for small blessings I guess.
None of these blankets or toys exist anymore - they were no match for those puppy teeth!
Are you my daddy?
Her little legs couldn't hold her up for long periods of time.  
She'd get to her destination and let her legs slide out from under her.
She graciously trimmed all the bushes in the backyard.  
We've tried to tell her they're bare enough now, but she doesn't listen.
She used to be small enough to fit under the dresser.
She took a liking to my lap early on.
Crate training was a NIGHTMARE.  Many times I nearly left because she wouldn't sleep through the night.  Just when I was at the end of my rope, she got used to it - thank GAWD.
Putting baby in a corner.
Getting her fixed was my first indication that my feelings for this dog were growing.
We took her to puppy school where she learned absolutely nothing but it did help me so it wasn't a total waste.
For better or worse she has made her way into my heart and yes, she is now a part of the family.  I've become quite protective of her and I will get real stank with anyone who tries to be mean to her - even Drew.  I'm the only one who is allowed to get loud with her and even I don't do it that much anymore.  
I only get loud when she ruins my slippers.  Paper is okay.
She protects me, whether it's from bad guys or squirrels or cats.
She no longer fits in my lap and barely fits on the sofa.  
Not that either of those things bothers her in the least.
Every inch of this house has her mark.

And now a note:  We took this video to showcase Maya's skills - skills I taught her, let the record show.  When we played it back I was like 'I sound bossy!'  Drew, the ever-intelligent man simply nodded and said nothing.  I assure you he is a much bigger smart-ass in real life than I could ever hope to be and we often joke with each other sarcastically - and I'm definitely joking with him.  Maya was doing her tricks and he didn't record the first time.  Additionally, if I didn't specifically tell him not to shoot my hair, he would and think it's funny.  Okay, here you go - please judge me silently.



Happy Birthday PoopyFace!


5 comments:

  1. This was too sweet. They are so loveable in the puppy stage!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing wrong with being a dog-mom. You've reminded me to post an homage to my own puppydog, because - like you - I take dog motherhood seriously. ;-) Happy belated birthday Maya! What a cutie-dog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG Desiree! I love your doggy, Maya looks beautiful! I love dogs and what you say about how everything happened is really cute, it reminded me when I got my puppy too, years ago.
    I hope I get to know her irl one day.
    Happy belated b-day from me too Maya! You're a good doggy mom Desiree ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. These pics were just so cute! Reminded me of when we brought home our little girl. http://www.duolynoted.com/2009/05/more-puppy-pictures.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG Desiree! I love your doggy, Maya looks beautiful! I love dogs and what you say about how everything happened is really cute, it reminded me when I got my puppy too, years ago.
    I hope I get to know her irl one day.
    Happy belated b-day from me too Maya! You're a good doggy mom Desiree ^_^

    ReplyDelete

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin