Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Assemble the troops!

Most brides get a year or more to plan a wedding - me, I've got about three months. Originally, we had planned to do it next year on October 10, 2010. 10-10-10 - so cute, I know. But with the whole fertility thing now looming over my head, I couldn't be okay with waiting 14 months to begin trying to get pregnant. Just in case we were lucky, I also didn't want to stand at the altar seven months pregnant or having just given birth. Furthermore, I'd really like to avoid having a child before I get married. So, the solution was to move things up - waaay up.

Initially I tossed around the idea of the two of us going to Vegas but I know I'd be upset that my friends and family wouldn't be there. We've decided to have the ceremony and the reception at our house, figuring that any money that we'd spend on a hotel ballroom or similar venue would be better spent on landscaping the backyard. Neither of us have a church home so in that sense it would be just a building to us and we both enjoy and appreciate the outdoors. It makes sense to have it in our home, an intimate setting for our closest family and friends. Additionally, I (foolishly) thought that by having it in the house I would escape a lot of the pre-wedding stress. ha. ha. ha. (that's my sarcastic laugh)

A day after I'm official I called my girlfriend to tell her. As soon as she congratulates me, she starts peppering me with questions about when, where, have we registered, what kind of cake are we having, what kind of flowers, and a lot of other stuff that got me breathing fast.

However, I'm kind of thankful that it's happening quickly because that gives less time for indecision. I won't be able to waffle between six thousand invitation designs or choose something only to have something better come out six months later. What I choose will be it and we're going with it.

It's exhilirating and overwhelming and I'm excited! We've got a theme picked out, a friend has a catering company and I've already got dress appointments for the upcoming weekends. We're going to pull this off and if we end up at the justice of the peace in our t-shirts and jeans it won't be for lack of trying.

I hope we don't though.

No comments:

Post a Comment

When you leave me a comment, my phone chimes. I run to it from across the house, anxious to read what you've said. I save them in my email and read them multiple times a day, which is why you may not get an immediate response but I promise I eventually respond to every comment that has an email address.

You make me smile - I just thought you should know.

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin